The sad demise of the Nikon 1

charles_escott_new

As we wait with baited breath for the unveiling of the great one which will sweep all before it in the mirrorless scene is it a moment to think back to the Nikon 1 series? At least the new camera will make up for that failed attempt is what you hear most often today. Can we take a moment to remember a fallen system? Actually I admit to using a J4 with two zooms, ever ready case, and Nikon camera bag all in glorious white. What a bobby dazzler! Whisper it, that I like it as a fun bundle to take snaps. Anyone else with kind words before we say farewell. All the best, Charles.

Over on DPReview there is a pretty active forum dedicated to Nikon 1. I am a bit surprised that some pros use it to supplement their pro system.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but I think Nikon 1's 1" sensor is just too small. I have made some good 8x10 prints with it, with images captured under good light. Under poor lighting, its limitations are quite obvious. And at least IMO those Nikon 1 cameras are just too small so that they are awkward to use. For those who are after a small camera system, Micro 4/3 seems to be a much better choice with plenty of cameras and lenses. But I still find Micro 4/3 too small.

• Like 1

I wonder the fact that Nikon discontinued the Nikon 1 series would cause their price to go up or down? I hope it's down as I would want to get a Nikon 1 to use with my F mount lens. Putting a 300mm on the thing would give a good reach.

As far as I know, all Nikon 1 products were manufactured in Nikon's former factory in Wuxi, China, near Shanghai. Nikon closed that factory about a year ago. Since only Japanese-made Nikon products that are rare would become collector's items, as long as you are willing to buy used, I can't imagine Nikon 1 products would become expensive.

However, due to its 2.7x crop factor, at least IMO mounting F-mount lenses on Nikon 1 is not very practical. A 300mm lens becomes very long on Nikon 1 and is hard to stabilize.

• Like 1

Here's the thing....I have a few big a$$ SLRs, and I still shoot film too. Why would I have a Nikon 1 when I have a phone? If I didn't have my SLRs, the Nikon 1 is not (and never was) good enough to be my only camera. That's the rub and Nikon is kinda shooting themselves in the foot until they embrace the competition. Even my phone has a Leica lens.

As far as I know, all Nikon 1 products were manufactured in Nikon's former factory in Wuxi, China, near Shanghai. Nikon closed that factory about a year ago. Since only Japanese-made Nikon products that are rare would become collector's items, as long as you are willing to buy used, I can't imagine Nikon 1 products would become expensive.

However, due to its 2.7x crop factor, at least IMO mounting F-mount lenses on Nikon 1 is not very practical. A 300mm lens becomes very long on Nikon 1 and is hard to stabilize.

I put it on tripod, not a problem. With the 300mm it's like 800mm or so on an FX and I still have 16MP. My FX with the 300mm only gives me 16MP so can't crop much.

• Like 1

At 800mm (equivalent), you need a stable tripod, and the FT1 is small and I am not sure its tripod mount is that sturdy. Another issue is that the pixels on Nikon 1 are tiny. You may have 16MP, but it can easily out-resolve your lens, especially if you don't stop down. However if you stop down, diffraction will be an issue. And then as soon as you add a tripod, all the advantages that Nikon 1 being small go away.

I can see a Nikon 1 being a pocket camera with interchangeable lenses that can give me angles of view that are not available on a phone camera, but people who really need such an advantage over phone cameras are limited. Meanwhile it has been difficult for Nikon 1 to compete against Micro 4/3.

That is a native 70-300mm Nikon 1 lens, but that costs (or used to cost) $1000, a lot more expensive than an FX 70-300mm Nikkor zoom.

• Like 1

A 1" sensor will never be the main hammer in my tool pouch, but it has its place. When used in a Sony RX0 or the (rumored) DJI Mavic 2, you get 21 MP stills and good 4K video. I'm giving both due consideration, and from examples, the RX0 is a very competent image maker. In size, it's only one notch below Micro 4/3 (2.7x v 2x, respectively), which is often touted for its image quality.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, if I want to look serious I can stomp around with my D4 and I am a Panasonic fanboy for stills and video but I just like the Nikon 1, it,s cute and makes others smile. Because I am not a very good photographer and definitely not technical I use cameras for fun and the idea of putting a massive lens on a 1 is a great . I have enjoyed every camera since the box brownie in 1958 so probably I am not the person to offer an insightful critique. All the best, Charles.
  • Like 1

The J5 no-finder body with 20Mp sensor and 6,7-13 mm lens is capable of excellent images.

Some other lenses are rather good too, the 32mm and 30-110 mm telezoom come to mind.

Yes, I have and frequently use those lenses and body when I need something light and compact.

Nikon was vaccillating and seemed unable to find a really good provider for the sensor untill the end. Well-known problems with marketing, the wish not to hurt sales of low-end DX cameras and technical mistakes killed the system. Autofocus and the shutter were class-leading when the system was lanced.

A reasonably priced V4 might have sold and earned profits given the already established lens system. And no, a smartphone is not an alternative.

• Like 2

Yup, where was the V4? Put the J5 sensor in a V3 and off you go.

The J5 finally had a PASM dial, what were they thinking up 'til then?

Being mirrorless, they also make very good IR conversions with no AF adjustment needed and permanent LV! I think I've converted 4 J1s and a J5.

The J5 was odd as it's sensor was 'soft' mounted on springs. Pretty tricky to realign after filter stack removal.

1000fps was fun to play with too!

• Like 1

NOT the V3, put the sensor into the V2.

The lack of an integrated EVF on the V3 scratched it from my list. That slide on EVF looks like it is just asking to be broken.

And I CANNOT use any long lens looking at the back of the camera, except on a tripod.

I don't know what they were thinking when they removed the integrated EVF from the V3.

I might get a V2, just for the heck of it.

• Like 1

I like the 1V2 I have from an ergonomics standpoint, nice little system, but I never could get the quality images out of it that some seem to be able to. Found a cheap deal on a Sony A7 first version, that with a mixture of small RF legacy lenses and Sony 28AF is my vacation/travel kit now.

The VF is OK, works fine in actual use, but not nearly as good as the one in the Sony.

Great replies, there is a bit of warmth coming through for the old girl. No offence but it is difficult to see it as other than feminine when I unzip my dedicated Nikon 1 camera cum make up bag, and bring out my brilliant white camera and lens in a white leather ever ready case. No one is going to take you seriously with this outfit, giving you a chance to take some good snaps. When I stagger around with my D4 and 70-200 people react as if I were carrying an assault rifle, all the best, Charles.

Mr. Halliwell, you are my style guru, from now on it is pink for me. Perhaps we could meet up and walk arm in arm in a miasma of pink. My wife refuses to let me wear a pink t-shirt I bought in the sales so I have long been looking for a like-minded friend. Others have suggested I use a phone instead of my Nikon 1 and I have done in-depth comparisons which prove conclusively that my Nikon is superior to my 10 year old Blackberry. Good luck to Nikon on the launch, every one of their cameras that I own is a good-un. All the best, Charles.