I am currently writting my dissertation on the importance of narrative within a

fashion image.

As this topic is subjective I would like to ask any opinions on 'How narrative

is created' and 'Why is it used?'. 'Does it ultimately help sell a product /

lifestyle?' 'What is the advantage of using narrative?'

I would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you

why not start here:

FASHIONING FICTION in photography since 1990: Kismaric and Respini MOMA NYC Its a book from an exhibition.

above should give some information on the questions you asked.

One of the most significant Narrative fashion ads was Larry Sultans for Kate Spade 'Visiting Tennessee'

Big Art world associations for the merchandise

related information

FILM ART: Bordwell/Thompson chapter 4

Narrative as a Formal System

principles of narrative construction

I would begin by saying that I disagree that your topic is subjective. There may be

subjective elements but I think the topic taken as a whole can be approached objectively.

Narrative is created in still images by placement of subjects in relation to one another and

the elements of their environment. Facial gestures, body language, etc. in other words the

complete mise en scène. These are all read by the viewer through the lens of their own

cultural mythology (just as they are created within the creator's mythology) which is why

so few cross cultural campaigns are successful.

I would say that not only does it help sell the product but all advertising is completely

dependent on narrative for its effectiveness. Without narrative we could never be

interpellated by the image. And this is the "advantage" without which we would not be

called into the fantasy of the imaginary.

But I am sure you are well aware of these effects but on the off chance you are not you

may want to begin by reading Roland Barthes' Mythologies and Image, Music, Text; as well Laura Mulvey's Visual and Other Pleasures, Walter Benjamin's Illuminations, Kaja

Silverman's The Subject of Semiotics. I can't recall off hand any readings specifically of

fashion advertising but I know barthes deconstructs a lot of advertising so I would really

suggest beginning there.

Sorry for the cursory explanation but I have to go pick up my son. Good luck.