The Ricoh 500G Goes To Washington

<p>It was a chilly, cloudy couple of days in the nation’s capital when I traveled there on business this past week. Although I generally just use a Nikon or Canon digicam for traveling, this time I also wanted to add a classic rangefinder. Weight and space is always an issue when flying, so I reached for the small and light Ricoh 500G.</p>

<p>Ever since I resealed this 1972 classic, see my previous post <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00UimH">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00UimH</a> , I’ve been having a blast with it. With its diminutive size, excellent Rikenon 40mm f/2.8 lens and mechanical shutter range from B, 1/8-1/500 sec, the 500G is a competent shooter that’s easy to stuff in a jacket pocket as a take anywhere companion.</p>

<p>Being a working trip, I only found time to burn one roll of Fuji Superia 400 film through the Ricoh. These were the best from that roll. </p>

<div>00XSFF-289005584.jpg.8a4f38e13a423c21c2f314338020417d.jpg</div>

• Like 2

<p>Arlington National Cemetery–Glass Monument</p>

<p>I finished off the roll in Arlington National Cemetery. With an afternoon flight to catch, I got there when it just opened in the morning before the tour buses and school groups arrived. It was very quiet and peaceful as the sun finally made an appearance. </p>

<div>00XSFR-289009784.jpg.5f22bb8b40c69279651f27ca1ca6f353.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>Rows of Stones</p>

<p>One cannot visit this place and be unmoved by the sacrifice of the many who lie here. Burials are on going and in just the couple of hours I was there, I heard several 21-gun salutes in the distance. The Department of the Interior maintains this place of honor with a venerable army of workers.</p>

<div>00XSFS-289009884.jpg.109cbceb60d5053bec79dc7fb9278e53.jpg</div>

• Like 3

<p>Twenty-One Steps</p>

<p>No visit to Washington is complete without witnessing the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It’s a solemn display of discipline, precision and reverence.<br>

The Tomb Sentinels are a special unit of the 3<sup>rd</sup> Army (The Old Guard) that is rigorously trained for this demanding assignment. They walk twenty-one steps as a form of twenty-one gun salute. Their bearing is impeccable. Their gloves are moistened to get a better grip on the rifle. They walk on special soles so their backs stay straight and their heads and bayonets don’t bob during their tour. Their attitude can best be summed up in the Sentinels Creed:</p>

<p><strong>My dedication to this sacred duty is total and wholehearted.</strong> <br /> <strong>In the responsibility bestowed on me never will I falter.</strong> <br /> <strong>And with dignity and perseverance my standard will remain perfection.</strong> <br /> <strong>Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements,</strong> <br /> <strong>I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability.</strong> <br /> <strong>It is he who commands the respect I protect.</strong> <br /> <strong>His bravery that made us so proud.</strong> <br /> <strong>Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day alone in the thoughtful peace of night,</strong> <strong>this soldier will in honored glory rest under my eternal vigilance</strong></p>

<div>00XSFU-289009984.jpg.c53668784638d4aaebbd9e88f39e4649.jpg</div>

• Like 3

<p>Great photos, Louis. That 500G is a capable little camera and your results prove it to be a worthy traveling companion. Unlike some cameras that are similar in size (Konica C35, Minolta Hi-Matic G, Yashica ME), this camera lets one select shutter and aperture independently, a real plus for most situations. Only a few small cameras allow this while maintainling automatic options and a rangefinder. I've bid on these a few times (including one in Sears trim)m but always managed to miss out. Thanks for posting.</p>
  • Like 1

<p>Thanks for the good feedback!<br>

<strong>John</strong>- Thanks! Oddly enough, the dining room where that was taken was closed at that time but I slipped in through the kitchen door. I'm glad I had a small flashlight with me. Pretty dark in there.<br>

<strong>Mike</strong>- Yes, I used only manual settings on these shots judging exposure by eye. Although the auto setting works fine, I rarely use it.<br>

<strong>Chuck</strong>- I wish I had more free time there. Tons to see and do. A street shooters delight. Being a big tourist town, cameras are pretty much ignored. <br>

<strong>Jeff</strong>- Thanks for picking up on the typo<br>

<strong>Les</strong>- I bounced between a few different classic camera choices for this trip. Had it been a road trip the choice of an interchangeable lens rangefinder or SLR would have been an easier choice. These little RF's are good to stuff in a jacket or the corner of a camera bag.<br>

<strong>Kayam</strong>- LOL!</p>

<p>Terrific post, as usual, <strong>Louis</strong>. I have "doing something serious with the 500G" high on my mission list, and your photographs imbue me with enthusiasm. I find the 500G and it's siblings a tad small for comfortable use, but they make up for it in terms of portability. Great design; I really like the flat boxy shape and the use of blocky graphics. Fine little lens, as you've demonstrated; "Glass Monument" is superb, and your timing in "Twenty-One Steps" was impeccable. Overall a great post; thanks for showing another fine camera in action.</p>

<p>To me, the most striking photo is that of the Tomb Guard. The composition and timing are impeccable.<br>

The Old Guard is the 3rd Infantry Regiment of the U. S Army, AKA "The President's Own".<br>

I have had the pleasure of being acquainted with a number of its' present and former members. It contains a number of ceremonial units other than the Tomb Guard such as the burial detail and the Fife and Drum Corps. Lest anyone accuse them of being bandbox soldiers, on 9/11 they were on the rooftops in full battle array, ready to rock and roll. Everything they do is with the utmost precision and your photo exemplifies that perfectly.</p>

<p><strong>Rick</strong>- Yeah, it's a bit small in handling but not as bad as some. Good luck on your outing with it.<br>

<strong>Stuart</strong>- Thanks for stopping in. Happy to be able to take and share photos.<br>

<strong>Roger</strong>- I appreciate your comments. They're a group of dedicated, squared away troops.<br>

<strong>Sadanand</strong>- It's a very unique city and a nice place to shoot, your'e lucky to live nearby.<br>

<strong>Mike</strong>- Yes, the longest exposure was best f/11 @ 90 sec @ ASA 400</p>

<p>Louis excellent post. Superb photography and really enjoyed the night shot and the symmetry in the African art museum.</p>

<p>I personally love DC, what a beautiful city, nice museums, restaurants, George town, just great. Was there as recently as last May and had two Bessamatics with me and had a ton of fun. I will share my photos one day as well. Thanks for sharing with us.</p>

<p>Also appreciate your thoughtful essay on the sacrifice of soldiers, Louis. We often wrap the actions of soldiers with words of honour and dignity but we don't think enough of what the Nation has asked these soldiers to do in stark terms: kill the "enemy" and invade/occupy their country. High-minded words should not mask what we ask these soldiers to do. A country that simply glorifies its warriors without weighing the costs risks developing a coarse and hypocritical collective soul. </p>