The Regular Weekly Themes

The weekly themes are things like Monochrome Monday and Fixed Focal Length Friday.

While I’ve specifically gone out and shot for many of the more narrative, person, places, and things themes, I’ve never done that for gear-related or technically-oriented themes. For Mondays and Fridays, I just use what I may have on hand that fits the bill. Haven’t been offering much these days.

"You talkin' to me?"

Not really. I just grub around for something that 'inspires' me from the first post on a given day in my large archive of images.

I do go out and shoot examples with old equipment that I am writing up as one of my little essays.

As the "host" of two weekly Nature threads I do focus a fair percentage of my efforts on images that will fit those threads. (Monday in Nature and Nature Unlimited.) It is not an accident that my own interests coincide with nature subjects, so it's hard to discern where my gear and subject selection starts or ends in relation to these two threads, but there's definitely a connection. That said, my posted images are as often of older shoots as they are of more recent efforts.

Do the weekly themes influence you lens, camera or subject choices?

On a further thought: I'm often frustrated that I have fairly few images that qualify technically for Sandford's Fixed Focal Length Friday thread, and I sometimes think I need to make a point of purposely shooting for that thread. Still haven't done it...

• Like 1

Do the weekly themes influence you lens, camera or subject choices?

Hi Sanford, my answer is yes the upcoming Monday themes of Mirrorless and fixed Lens do influence my choices but it fits in with what I use anyway. But It can't be just me that looks forward to these posts going by the fact they and Monochrome Monday fill up faster than any other, maybe a bit more honesty is called for:);)

• Like 2

They don't influence my gear choices, but it just so happens that I mostly use prime lenses on a mirrorless camera and shoot a lot of monochrome. I see the weekly topics as a challenge and will only post a photo from the previous week, first to the mirrorless thread, as I seem to have adopted it as 'home', then elsewhere if I have more than one standout photo.

Not much recently, been taking plenty of photos, but 99% family stuff.

But It can't be just me that looks forward to these posts going by the fact they and Monochrome Monday fill up faster than any other, maybe a bit more honesty is called for:);)

Many have said their choice of gear isn’t influenced by these threads. No one has said they don’t look forward to them. The fact that many participate has nothing to do with whether their gear choice is influenced by them. Whose and what honesty are you questioning? :rolleyes:

"You talkin' to me?"

Many have said their choice of gear isn’t influenced by these threads. No one has said they don’t look forward to them. The fact that many participate has nothing to do with whether their gear choice is influenced by them. Whose and what honesty are you questioning? :rolleyes:

OK Sam I made a bad choice of words. As the very nature of of the "Mirrorless Monday" and "Fixed Lens Friday" are based around equipment choice It seemed people were loathed to acknowledge this fact.

Due to having been unable to travel much for the last year the simple pleasures based around the forums have become to hold more importance than may be they should:confused:.

Due to having been unable to travel much for the last year the simple pleasures based around the forums have become to hold more importance than may be they should

Lots of perspectives have changed over the last year. I can relate! :)

As the very nature of of the "Mirrorless Monday" and "Fixed Lens Friday" are based around equipment choice It seemed people were loathed to acknowledge this fact.

I think this is just a misinterpretation, no big deal. Again, no one claimed these threads weren't equipment based, they simply said they weren't influenced to use that equipment in order to participate. Several said that equipment was the primary equipment so it was a nice fit. No one seemed to me loathed to acknowledge any facts.

"You talkin' to me?"

These weekly themes are somewhat self serving. I had to quit the gym, which means much more walking to compensate. Camera weight became an issue, limiting my range. I bought, but rarely used many 50mm lens over the years, including the $130.00 50mm Nikkor for my D300. I brought the Nikon out of retirement and forced myself to use it with the 50mm. I also use ffl Fuji & Panasonic lenses (28mm & 40mm equiv). The hard part is walking out the door convinced you are bringing the right stuff for the day.
  • Like 1

The hard part is walking out the door convinced you are bringing the right stuff for the day.

You could always walk out the door with the wrong stuff and find the right thing to shoot! :)

Unless you grab your toaster instead of a camera, that is.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

You could always walk out the door with the wrong stuff and find the right thing to shoot! :)

I don't have that problem. When I go out shooting, I take EVERYTHING...

Unless you grab your toaster instead of a camera, that is.

Hmm... I don't even have

a toaster...

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif

• Like 1

Me, too.

Then my wheelbarrow broke and my toaster. Feel sort of sad about it all, but I've still got my blanket, which has not broken yet.

"A few days ago I was walking along the coast with a 28mm. Two guys with DSLR's and 500mm lenses pointed out a pod of dolphins, rare around here. "Not today". Sanford

Hmm, Luminex 45 -175mm/80- 350mm and weight nothing, and can be picked up for £200 something. Tiny tele, that's why I bought it; holiday tele for me small and light and decent.

sandford1.jpg.1e8ca4594cac8e08aeda3d11f738ef46.jpg

• Like 1