The Question

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Moving On, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

some other numbers; the universe is 14 billion years old or, 14 x 10^9 years, a rather small number compared to the solution of certain mathematical problems using a super computer. the last time i looked, some problems took 10 x 10^276 centuries. or would do if someone had bothered to press “Start”.

as David said, relative measures are everything.

2. And you'd just get to the end when a Windows Update crashed the damn thing..............

Moving On likes this.
  3. If I'm comparatively not even microscopic the same goes for the challenges I face. This is comforting to me.

Moving On and Sandy Vongries like this.
  4. Or more precisely put with the viewer left to watch the image as its own consciousness. It’s what all art is essentially about. How to express that which is pre-language by speaking in its own voice. Phil

Sorry, Phil.

They left the philosophers behind, on the dying embers of earth.

What have they to offer to mankind?

5. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

May be in the embers - I sure hope not.
    The word "philosophy" comes from the Greek word "philosophia," which combines the words "philo" meaning "love of" and "sophia" meaning "wisdom." Some common etymological definitions of philosophy are "love of wisdom" or "love of knowledge."

6. In the ancient times they gave us the words...

In ancient times.

7. For an interesting and very recent discussion of philosophy and physics and the synergy between them see this Scientific American article.

Phil S likes this.
  8. “I have a feeling this may be the case, but I’m going to have to have a closer look” ........
    The hunches drive us toward the Truth.....

9. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Hmm... from what I've seen,
    there isn't intelligent life
    ANYWHERE in the universe...
    except for Great Apes...
    [​IMG]

10. very humbling about being put in my place so absolutely.
    To the point of misty eyes