The Queen shot with OM1

stuart_bailie

Interesting piece in the UK Observer newspaper on Sunday. the

legendary Jane Bown took a portrait of the Queen, using a couple of

OM1s. Both the sitter and the photographer were 80 years old. The

image was then reproduced over two pages. Not my favourite Jane Bown

portrait, perhaps, but still impressive. A tribute to longevity on

many levels.

The one Bas has posted is not the same as the photo spread across the whole of 2 pages in the Observer's Review section - all 24 x 17" of it - although they are very similar. The other is a horizontal framing in the same light. There is also a nice portrait of Jane (who really doesn't look 80) on the cover of the section, with 2 OM-1s dangling by her side. I'd put money on each having an 85/2 attached and a roll of Tri-X inside.

Stuart, HRM packs a Leica M2 or later with the Royal Crest and ER engraved right on it for her. And I have seen shots of her (dressed in casual country clothes) lugging it around and shooting in the field. In fact, I think I have even seen a Leica REPAIR service photo of the ER-engraved camera being overhauled.

Yup, she runs a Leica.

Wish the photos appeared with the article.

Thx,

Ray Hull

While Saotome's comment may be cheap and somewhat OT, I don't think being a Royalist is a precondition of posting messages. I'm not in favour of the Royal Family or the British class system, I think most of the population has bowed and curtseyed to that pandered crowd for too long. And regarding the younger generation, there's a popular phrase that goes: "Well I blame the parents". ;-)

If I was one of the richest people in one of the richest countries (and until recently not even paying any taxes) I would have a Leica outfit too. Damn, I could afford a different Leica for every day of the week! It's likely Her Majesty was given hers when she visited Germany sometime, I'm sure she won't have paid list price for it.

We took care of things in 1776, so I should keep my trap shut. Be well, and be outraged too. I sure wish you hadn't mentioned in passing the taxes business, Simon,as I am in the throes of our annual ritual paperfest. And I just was refreshed on knowledge that our members of Congress pay NO individual contributions to their Social Security accounts,which are larger than the income withholding for many people..OT, yeah,but we learn from our mutual distress, I think. (As in National Health Insurance,that Massachussetts is now playing with.) OK,back to lenses and lens adapters and blue moons and such ...aloha,gerry

Yes, Melvin, my wife,who has studied Elizabeth's personal history,and WW II experiences in particular, would absolutely agree. A class act! I do not,incidentally, subscribe to the dictum that "the acorn never falls far from the tree" regarding kids and their exploits. Old hat. But then, I thought Charles the First didn't deserve the extreme enmity he got either :-) Be well and shaloha to our UK cousins and allies.

Let's face it, the Royals' war effort (WW II) was a publicity act as much as anything. They have some dodgy connections - see <a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1442438,00.html">this article</a>. The Queen's hubby, Prince Philip, has made a fair few <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1848553.stm">racist gaffes</a> in his time. The Queen Mother, gawd rest her pampered little socks, was labelled an appeaser and Nazi sympathiser until the Germans had the cheek to bomb London. Prince Charles, widely considered here to be unfit to take on the job, sees himself as a 'dissident' waging campaigns against the prevailing political mood yet his valet (that's a person, not a handbag) is paid to put just the right amount of toothpaste on his toothbrush each night. They cost us ᆪ37 million per year, excluding security costs, but what are they <i>for</i>?

<br><br>

Acorns? I blame the tree ;-)

Not taken with an Olympus but with a Hasselbad (501cm + 50mm CFI), when ERII was in Sydney last month:<p>

<a href="http://4020.net/unposed/street.shtml#qe2howard">http://4020.net/unposed/street.shtml#qe2howard</a><p>

A bit of a lucky shot. Amusingly, the security detail were pretty nervous about the guy in the big hat and 'blad waiting patiently for HRH... :?)

Ah, the Royals, an endless stream of light entertainment.. Some people take it a little too

serious, though.

Simon: just because someone has "dodgy connections" - referring to dead members in the

familly lines - doesn't make them dodgy. Far worse, I find, are those world leaders who

have dodgy connections to people that are both alive and not even related...

Andrew, that's a one in a million shot of Johny Howard! I am not sure what the look on his

face is, but it must be the first picture of him I have seen where he doesn't look like he's

suffering from IBS or about to cry! (or both)

The _Times_ article seems poorly researched. It's a little hard to believe that

George VI sent birthday greetings to Hitler weeks before the invasion of Poland, since that

birthday was in April. On the other hand, Edward VII (of Mrs. Simpson fame) was indeed

being warehoused by the Nazis as a future puppet; during the Battle of Britain he was

being shadowed by British agents so that he could be quickly assasssinated should things

go badly.

Even Johnny Howard, the man who rigged the question on the republic referendum so the

only sane answer was "no", has recently stated that he does not think the monarchy can

survive in Australia with Charles as king.

"I'm sure she won't have paid list price for it" - true I bet she got it free. Why do so many organisations want to give her things ?

"They cost us 37 million quid a year" - works out at about 50p each. If you find that such a hard burden I suggest you write to the man in No.11 Downing Street.

I can think of a lot worse value for money - a politician ( whose brief covers the environment ) taking 106 RAF flights in less than 2 years seems a good example.