The place of my D3100

errol young

<p>I got it as a travel camera. I admired the D40x for a while, small, IQ, controllable. I waned one as a travel walk around camera. D70s' were heavy for that. Good for the work I do though.<br>

Now I work with a D7000 usually with a 16-85 on it and a D300 with a 105 2.8 on. Works will but for some things I also want to pack my Sigma 10-20. I am thinking of mounting that on the D3100 and carrying it in a small camera bag. No need to shoot fast or focus well with it.<br>

As a walk around, I am thinking of getting a p7100 around xmas time (when I earn $ on a santa shoot in a mall), By then I hope there will be a D7200, who knows? Even the 7100 with the kit lens is getting heavy for me day to day.<br>

So the 3100 has turned itself into a work camera. It is a great little machine. </p>

<p>Errol- as a long time Nikon user with both dslr and point and shoot cameras, I suggest that you consider getting a Canon s95/100 instead of the 7100/7200.<br>

I have had several problems with my p7000 and the 7100 seems to have problems as well.<br>

I bought the s95 (my first ever Canon) and it's a great walk around camera; I'm convinced that Canon makes better point and shoot cameras than Nikon.</p>

<p>cb :-)</p>

<p>"Just looked at the Canon. It does not have an optical vf."<br>

That used to be a factor for me until I just got tired of the dinky little optical viewfinder on my point and shoot and the fact that I really couldn't frame my shots like I could on my dslr. Once I started using the p7000's lcd screen instead to compose/frame, I got better results.<br>

If I were looking for a walk around camera, I wouldn't be influenced by whether or not it used the same battery as my dslr or didn't have an optical viewfinder; I'd be looking at the quality of the images it produced, the lens, and its portability. As a long time Nikon shooter, I found the Canon s95 to be superior to any Nikon point and shoot and am very pleased with it.<br>

If your priorities are different, you may not want the Canon; your call.</p>