The Phantom Menace?

rodeo_joe1

Take a look at this link.

It appears that now, not only do we have to compete with other camera users and collectors for gear, but with Star Wars fanatics as well!

In case you didn't know, the props department of the original Star Wars movie used the handle of the above flashbulb 'gun' as the grip of the fictitious light sabre; hence the ridiculous bid for a lot that should have gone for about one-fifth of the price at most.

Adding in the auctioneers' commission, that little light sabre toy (or part of) cost somebody over £2100 UK - about $3000 US. That's just crazy!

I only hope the rest of the camera equipment was re-sold to a genuine camera user at a bargain price.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

My local camera store hoards every Graflex flash gun they run across and dumps them on Ebay every time a new Star Wars movie comes out.

When I bought my 4x5 Speed a few years ago, I had to tread VERY cautiously onto the forum. They're a friendly and helpful group of people(with some cross membership between there and here) but among other things I had some questions about flash gun set up and how to use the solenoid(I've yet to do the latter). I spent a bit of time establishing myself as an actual Graflex user and asking about some other things plus posting photos taken with my camera before I even dared ask anything about flashes. They-understandbly-are very leery of new members who immediately come in and start asking out of fear that they're only looking for a cheap source of flash guns.

....every time a new Star Wars movie comes out.

Shouldn't that be "....every time the same Star Wars movie comes out under a different title"?

Change the record Lucas, we've heard that one before.... many times. Yawn.

And how a child's fairytale set in space ever became a worldwide cult... well, there are more baffling questions, but not many. "In space, no-one can hear you scream" but you can hear a laser-beam, apparently.

A very good friend of mine in secondary school had a pilot father who was a huge Sci-Fi fan. He took virtually all of the pulp magazines. When he had read them, he allowed me to read them. As a result I can still look for the publication date for most stories and tell whether I have read them or not.

was amusing, thought provoking and disturbing.

is not exactly the description I would have chosen, but the amusing is right, at least.

Fantastic-Universe-59-01.jpg.90132e1e74b1b6fc61cfdcc04d4d8e39.jpg

1959 SF -- the golden age of science fiction was 12.

However, Star Wars proper was constructed as envoking the spirit of movie serials, but was purposely modeled on the myth theories of Joseph Campbell (LINK).

Whatever you may think of it, it's not really "space opera" - It is in some sense the mythology of our own times.

I wish I still had my old 4x5 with the laser sword flash :(

Edited by JDMvW

The covers of the magazines, especially the more sensational ones, often bore little resemblance to the contents, for promotional reasons. They knew what they thought the buyer wanted. Likewise with paperbacks, if you have ever read Olaf Stapledon's "Odd John" you might wonder exactly which scene is depicted on the cover of the Galaxy Science Fiction Books edition.

john.jpg.d92ae04e28ce2a65888fd3ecba0d8ff0.jpg

....but was purposely modeled on the myth theories of Joseph Campbell (LINK).

If so, Lucas completely missed the point, not to mention the underlying philosophy.

The first Star Wars film was simply a mishmash of Snow White and the legend of King Arthur. It has a princess/damsel in distress, two knaves that aspire to be knights, a black knight, a white knight, a wizard/guru figure, a magic sword, a fire-breathing dragon (death star) controlled by an evil ruler and an unexplained war as a background. In short, just a thinly disguised and unoriginal fairytale set in space.

It is in some sense the mythology of our own times.

If that drivel is the mythology of our own times, then we live in sad, shallow and unsophisticated times!:(

And "Attack of the Clowns" (sic) was a couple of hours of my life that I'll never get back!

...so maybe it's your understanding that is lacking:

In what way are my parallels between Star Wars, and Geoffrey of Monmouth's and Sir Walter Scott's fictionalised accounts of King Arthur 'lacking'? Is Stars Wars not a thinly disguised rip off?

In balance, I think the first Star Wars film was a very entertaining piece of nonsense, which I enjoyed at the time. My 'beef' is with its totally undeserved elevation to almost religious status, and with the endless and trite se/pre-quels that are spewed out every time George Lucas feels in need of some extra pocket money.

And who is Bill Moyers anyway? Am I supposed to have heard of him?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

It was once said of Tolkien's Middle Earth, that his fans not only believe in it but actually wanted to live there. The same can really be said of the "long ago and far away" galaxy of Star Wars.

As far as the use of the flash gun handles . . . It pissed me off when the glove on the space suits in Alien were just painted hockey gloves . . .

And who is Bill Moyers anyway? Am I supposed to have heard of him?

Yes you were supposed to--and notice it is Campbell himself thatis being interviewed.

And of course, the point of Campbell's discussion is that myth tends to be the same stories over and over....

• 3 weeks later...