The Perfect Digital M Camera?

carlos_prado2

<p> It seems to me, that the only control missing on the M9 camera, to allow for complete adjustment of all shooting parameters, is an ISO dial.</p>

<p> Why can't the ISO dial be placed bellow the shutter release button. The inside surface of the dial can be beveled, thereby preserving the current concave space into which the shutter release button falls when depressed.</p>

<p> The on/off switch could be relocated to the back of the camera just like Canon other DSLRs. (Continuous shooting modes would be set in the menu options via the rear screen.)</p>

<p> These modifications would not only allow for all controls to be available on the external surfaces of the M9 body, but they would also facilitate the following:</p>

<p>1) The on/off switch would be less susceptible to accidental activation.<br>

2) The camera would have a better “visual balance". There would now be less empty space, since the ISO dial would fill in a visual, aesthetic gap on the left side of the camera.</p>

<p> I have attached a Modified Image of the NEW Limited Edition M9 Titanium. I think the only thing missing for this camera to be the perfect M10 - aside from not making it out of Titanium - Is the addition of the ISO dial on the top plate.</p>

<div>00XKjy-282933584.jpg.74327883bdc91d96e53332618fa1b980.jpg</div>

<p>"Perfect" and "camera" , film or digital, are too subject to personal preferences to accurately define. For some, the 'perfect' M digital would be to unclip the back from an film M camera and clip on a digital back with power and controls occupying the space below the bottom of the camera equal in volume to an attached motor drive. Of course, that little accessory would probably cost more to buy than a M9 body.</p>

<p>Or, how about this. You would have a choice of 2 sensors. A luminance only sensor for B&W and a conventional sensor with bayer array for color.</p>

<p>A company such as Nikon has a flagship camera that most cannot afford. They also have a good camera for about a $1000.00. Maybe the perfect M for mere mortals would be a digital M for a $1000.00. I suppose it would be a crop sensor and have the plastic body or whatever. They could offer cheaper lenses or folks can buy Voightlander lenses. Just a thought as I would buy one most likely if it were built as nice as say a Nikon D90 which is $899.00. </p>

<p>Actually I don't mind the current ISO situation too much... it's one button and a dial-twirl away. The dedicated control I'd like to have is exposure compensation, whether around the shutter dial or separate like on the new Fuji X100... something where I can look at the camera and see where it is set. Currently you need to look through the viewfinder and move the dial to change the setting or even to see where it's set.</p>

<p>j</p>

<p>(Yes, I know I can use manual exposure).</p>

<p>Carlos, I agree; the required controls are shutter, aperture, focussing and now digital introduces another variable – ISO.</p>

<p>Shutter, aperture and focussing can all remain where they’ve always been on traditional M cameras. So where do we put the ISO dial?</p>

<p>Well, why put it around the shutter release? Surely it too can remain where it is on the M6; well not quite there, because that would be in the middle of the LCD screen, but next to it, on the back of the camera.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I think I go along with Michael. I fancy the new electronic and optical finder system of the Fuji.</p>

<p>What about an M3 with the Fuji finder and the M9 sensor?</p>

<p>"The point is that all needed controls: ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, would be readily available."<br>

Controls needed by whom? With my two Olympus dig. SLRs I often need to switch from single shot mode to continuous fire: for which I must go into the menu system. Call the back cluttered if you will, but there is a dedicated button for ISO.<br>

Maybe Leica's design department -- or that of a competitor -- will appreciate your ideas.</p>