The Pentax ES – A Classic in Transition

<p>By the early 1970’s, there were a number of cameras that began the transition from fully mechanical operation to ones that added electrical power to control some camera functions such as exposure and shutter operation. Some of these transitional configurations, in addition to electronic features, retained many of the mechanical features of their older cousins. As such, they live in a twilight zone between fully manual classics and more modern cameras that are completely dependant on electrical power. This is such a camera.</p><div>00X86Q-271955584.jpg.9a55c3113db290ba99115ce2c2fd52a1.jpg</div>

<p>This is a 1971 Pentax ES (Electronic Shutter) SLR. Descendant from a long line of Pentax Spotmatics, the ES is one of the last of this breed. Beautiful in its deep black finish, it retained the classic Spotmatic look and feel while adding new features such as aperture priority exposure and a step-less, electronically controlled shutter. The mount, however, is classic M42 screw mount. While the electronic shutter allowed shutter speeds from 1/1000 to 1 sec, as well as in-between speeds, this camera like its classic predecessors, has mechanical shutters speeds, 1/1000 to 1/60, B as well. With batteries removed this camera can still take pictures!</p>

<p>In the hands, the camera is fairly compact and feels well made. The film advance lever is not that beefy but quite stiff and my thumb gives it thumbs up. The focusing screen is quite bright but like most Spotmatics, the eye relief is not that great for eyeglass wearers. I use a rubber eyecup so my glasses don’t get scratched. The protruding battery chamber that contains a 6v silver oxide battery does change your grip somewhat but after a while I didn’t notice it.</p>

<div>00X86T-271955884.jpg.de7291090a9675a0dd3061b46f0cafb0.jpg</div>

<p>The ES and the ES II are quite similar. The ESII adds a few niceties such as repositioned battery chamber to the bottom, shutter speeds to 8 seconds, a self-timer and a viewfinder shutter. For day-to-day handheld shooting, I find them fairly equal.</p>

<p>These two cameras, along with a Spotmatic F, comprise my primary M42 outfit. As nice as the Pentax cameras are when I reach for this kit it is generally for one reason…</p>

<div>00X86V-271957584.jpg.dcab3bff949305f956aaa28a0ad88efd.jpg</div>

<p>For a long time I thought I was seeing a clarity in my pictures that I couldn’t explain. It reminded me of the look I get with Zeiss and Leica lenses. Then one day I discovered a test done back in 1973 by Popular Photography’s Norman Goldberg. He carefully tested the flare resistance of a number of lenses and Pentax lenses had the lowest flare of them all. You can see the results in the attached chart. I was further surprised to read in Herbert Keppler’s book “The Pentax Way” (Amphoto, 1973) where he states that the coating on Pentax SMC lenses is so good that lens hoods are not needed.</p>

<div>00X86b-271959584.thumb.jpg.f5cca39abea249937bf3ef33ac2c6af7.jpg</div>

<p>Here is my clutch of Pentax S-M-C Takumar Lenses. They consist of the S-M-C 28mm f/3.5, 35mm f/3.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.5 and 200mm f/4. They are not only great optically, but the build quality is top notch too. I count them as some of my most valued lenses. Here are some shots done with the ES and these lenses on Fuji Superia 400 film. </p>

<div>00X86c-271959784.jpg.acb2c33e6d250a69b20a07a24bcd84ab.jpg</div>

<p>Great cameras and lenses, I am envious.<br>

My first 35mm camera was a Pentax that took screw type lenses. I can not remember the model, but it had no built in light meter which was good, because I had to learn how to expose with a handheld light meter.<br>

I "loaned" it to one of my nieces so she could take a photography class in high school, and never got it back.<br>

It was a joy to use.</p>

<p>Great post, Louis; you've put much worthwhile time and effort into assembling this collection of images, data and dissertation. That's a truly lovely collection of lenses, and the flare tests just go to prove what we Takumar aficionados have known all along. I have a rather well-worn ES, and I hadn't realised that the annoying battery compartment had been shifted to it's proper place on the baseplate, on the ESII. As you say, it's a curious transition of a camera, but a very capable one. Great photographs, as usual; "Steeple at Sunset" is spectacular, and I really like the moment you captured in "The Clique", a charming example of a picture being worth a thousand words. Thanks for a very fine post.</p>

<p>Louis, again, one of your great posts with beautiful shots of the equipment. Those black cameras usually get the brassy, nicked-up and oxidized patina that some like, but I think they are just gorgeous when found pristine like yours. Love the feel of "Morning on the farm", and the colors on the "Steeple at Sunset". I bet that 100 f/2.8 produces some gorgeous portraits as well, and you do great portraits anyway.</p>

<p>Many thanks for all the good feedback.<br>

<strong>Richard </strong>- That might have been the Pentax SV you had without a meter.</p>

<p><strong>Rick</strong> - I should have been more precise. The battery chamber was moved to the bottom of the<em> lens mount</em>. Also a single 6V was replaced by four, much smaller 1.3 volt hearing aid type batteries. Yeah those SMC Takumars turned in some nice numbers on that test. The Topcons look pretty good too. Odd that the Fujinon 50mm f/1.4 with the EBC, 11-layer coating didn't do better than the SMC 7-layer one. I guess there is a point of diminishing returns or perhaps the lens design itself plays a role.</p>

<p><strong>Capital Q</strong> - The Canon EF is another of those hybrid cameras. I've not shot with one but the comparison would be interesting.</p>

<p><strong>Les</strong> - It appears you did a bit of your own research. If you look up at my second paragraph you'll find the available mechanical speeds for the ES. No self-timer on that one.</p>

<p><strong>Shash</strong> - I agree about the black finish on these. Oddly enough, with this model, it's the chrome version that is the rare/hard-to-find/expensive one.</p>

<p><strong>Mark and Lauren</strong> - Thank you for your kind words</p>

<p>I have many of these lenses and a number of Pentax and other M42 bodies. The 50/1.4 SMC was added to my collection earlier this year. At some point I might look for an ESII but the reputation of the ES is not as good so I'll pass on that one. There was an attachment for one of the late Zeiss Contarex cameras which allowed for aperture priority automation. I don't remember whether that system predated the ES. My M42 equipment doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. I enjoy using the lenses more than I do the bodies so they get used with adapters on Canon, Minolta and Konica bodies.</p>