The only sober person in the room.

Sanford

<p> I'm going to a work party on Saturday. I do not drink and about 8PM my co-workers that I respect will be loud obnoxious and drunk. They will say stuff they would never have said and they will be touchy fee-lie. I will sneak out the door shortly after it gets uncomfortable for me.</p>

<p> My friend is going to be in the band and I was going to take a couple shots of his band using HP5 pushing to 1600. No flash. </p>

Since I don't drink, I'm often in that situation. I don't think it's a great way to observe human nature any more than is going

to church or going to a park on a sunny afternoon. It's a great way to observe drunk people. Maybe not even so. Because

when I'm there to photograph, I'm observing in a different way than were I casually interacting with them. While I might be

completely turned off if I were just another casual guest, I might be completely turned on as a photographer with lots of

possibilities for odd or exaggerated or uninhibited expressions and behaviors. Or, while drunkenness might not bother me

at all casually speaking, it might bother me as a photographer if people were putting my equipment at risk by being sloppy

and uncareful.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

If you are shooting a wedding reception, you are invisible. Being professional means losing self conscious and getting the job done. You are wise to not accept a drink nor even eat. Useful to have bagels to nosh on. There are many bagel friendly camera bags. As for water resistant cameras, the part I like best Sanford is the idea that at least the lenses may be more likely to resist fungus as well as shake off a splash of Michelob. I, like Mike, can warm up to those with a little buzz on. Drunk is another story, like as in what we used to call ''knee walking drunk." Yes, people's interpersonal dome narrows when they drink. It is a good chance to do psych study, I agree. Secret of people photography by the way is to learn to loosen up a subject without benefit of ethyl alochol, right?