The online/written resource that boosted your photography

<p>Hello,<br>

I was wondering if you have ever had the experience to stumble upon a photography resource (book, movie, online resource, etc etc) that has enabled you a change for the better.<br>

I know that most of the improvement are caused by a person (a teacher, a friend, etc etc) but I would like to know if anyone else had a different experience.<br>

Thank you very much</p>

<p>It will be interesting to see how people respond to this question as there are so many different places to learn about photography. One that pops into my head is the B&H master photography videos on YouTube. They cover a multitude of topics from shooting in the dark and getting started in wedding photography to Speedlites and macro photography. Best of all: Everything is free to watch and learn. Some of these videos have covered things I already know, others remind me of things I've forgotten and some teach me completely new skills and ways of approaching photography. And in case anyone is wondering ... no, I don't have anything to do with B&H.</p>
  • Like 1
David H

<ul>

<li>http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/understanding_digitalrawcapture.pdf</li>

<li>https://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf</li>

<li>"Real World Camera Raw" by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe</li>

<li>"Real World Image Sharpening" by Bruce Fraser</li>

<li>"Real World Color Management" by Bruce Fraser, et al. (I can't remember all the authors).</li>

</ul>

<p>These there articles and books were instrumental in helping me understand the characteristics of digital imaging so I could use my camera and post-processing tools to get the results I wanted.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Pictures and comments by the great Christian Science Monitor newspaper photographer, Gordon Converse (link).

His use of natural light and avoidance of flash was a beau ideal for me, especially, and had a pioneer character in photojournalism (contrast Weegee).

Going to museums and looking at paintings has taught me a lot about subject matter, narrative, composition, color, texture, and artistic sensibility and approach.

Old black and white classic movies have taught me to see and think cinematically, which has inspired and helped my photography.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

The two books that really started me off in photography were :

The Art Of Bird Photography, by Eric J. Hosking & Cyril W. Newberry

and

Bird Photography as a Hobby,

by the same authors. The principles in these two books can be applied to all kinds of photography, and the appeal to me was that their approach was oriented towards the subject, not the equipment.

• 5 months later...

Hi, Antonello! There are a lot of books sites and videos you can takes information about.

Try to practise as much as you can and one by one you'll get knowledge you are looking for. It`ll even best because you`ll take only necessary to you information.

At first stage try to make all work by "hand", when you'll have a lot of job just use programs like Lightroom (you can find free presets to it, by first time like on fixthephoto. com / free-lightroom-presets) or other, there are a lot free to use.

Studying, studying and studying....