The Olympia Sonnar in Action

<p>A few weeks ago I requested information about a Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm F2.8 "Olympia Sonnar" I acquired at a local auction, here:<br /><br />http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00cfno<br /><br />Since then I've had two adaptors made, one for Nikon, and one for Minolta AF / Sony Alpha, by the excellent SRB Griturn. I finally got around to putting it on my Sony Alpha 900, and took it to the Botanical Garden to try it out - you can beat me up for using a digital camera but my excuse is that its the lens which is the subject.</p><div>00cloW-550507584.jpg.5d50bb84e4e247a20688132ced2dbcf8.jpg</div>

<p>The shots were all done at maximum aperture, which makes focussing very critical. It was reasonably easy to focus in the nice bright screen of the A900, despite the lack of split screen aids. But the focus ring is a little stiff and after an hour my wrist was aching. I wonder how the German sports photographers of the 1930's got through the day. My subjects were stationary.</p><div>00clob-550507684.jpg.bf39bb1c4b44feb7c0aade57aae954fe.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice - glad to see that old beauty being used again. I've been using a lot of legacy lenses on my u4/3, some of which I jury rigged adapters for. You asked how sports photogs. of the 1930s managed to focus similar lenses....theirs were probably easier as the lubrication was fresh and the lenses hadn't been knocked around...also, a lot of them didn't shoot wide open ("f8 & be there"), so often they would estimate where the action would be, prefocus on that spot and wait for it to come into view.</p>

<p>Another puzzle now, a nice fitted case came in another lot at the auction. I wondered if this was the original case for the Sonnar? The round compartment is larger in diameter than the lens itself but I wonder if it's actually designed to take the lens with the Flektoskop reflex housing fitted?</p><div>00clow-550508984.jpg.52e4ad60be5a23e49027ca0f5b70181c.jpg</div>

<p>Love those Sonnar OOF backgrounds; they seem to turn any image into a work or art. Great work with the adapters on the DSLR, <strong>John,</strong> and I heartily approve, as I've frequently featured classic lenses on this forum with samples from digital capture. It really gives us the opportunity to explore these old lenses to their full capacity, especially on full-frame sensors. As you say, sports photography with all that heft would have been a challenge! Great post; many thanks.</p>

<p>I believe that they made do with just four elements for this lens? Lovely bit of engineering and your pics are very nice to behold, especially the last one of the yellow flowers. A lot of people say that digital images lack soul, but this is easily fixed by attaching a lens like this.<br>

Just saw JDM's pic of the Sonnar...appears that it is a four element. I have an MC version for my Pentacon Six. really a remarkable optic.</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>Glad to SEE and hear of your good news with SRB Griturn. I have several versions of the CZJ 180mm Olympia Sonnar and all of them are good performers as you had shown us.<br>

<br />I thought it was a 5 - 3 elements element group, but I could be wrong here. I will scan in an old article I read last week from "Classic Camera" magazine. It mentions the Olympia Sonnar and its long history behind why it was developed for <a title="Leni Riefenstahl" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leni_Riefenstahl">Leni Riefenstahl</a> for her filming of the <strong>1934 <a title="Nuremberg Rally" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Rally">Nazi Party Congress</a> in <a title="Nuremberg" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg">Nuremberg</a>. I hope that I do not offend anyone here with this notation.</strong> If I did, I apology in advance.</p>

<p>I have several of these Sonnars. I use a combination of (4) of these modified 180mm Olympia Sonnar on my Hasselblad 1000F (2 versions) and 2000/200 series respectively.<br>

Others I have have a removable Nikon mount, M-42, and Exakta 35mm mount. The later MC version has a fixed Pentacon 6 mount I use on my Contax 645 and Exakta 66.</p>

<p>Great lens at a good price and with great optical performance.</p>

<p>Evan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Evan, thanks for the information. I would very much like to see that article from Classic Camera magazine. So it was developed for the Nuremberg congress rather than the Olympics.</p>

<p>I'm sure there's no problem with reporting these historic facts. Let's face it most of the quality German cameras of that era were used in part for propaganda purposes.</p>