The old Banana Republic Vests

awahlster

I just couldn't stand nothing being posted here for what seamed like

so long. SO I 'll stick in a small question. I just picked up a Banana

Republic vest off ebay for about $25.00 including shipping. I have

been told they are very very simular to the current Campco Vests. Or

maybe I should state that the other way around!

Anyway anyone have one with some miles they care to comment on I'm

just looking for something better suited to a half day hike couple of

bodies (I shoot Canon FD F-1N's and T90's mostly) a few lenses mostly

under 200mm (If I carry my 500mm I normally do it mounted to my tripod

and then don't tend to go as far)

It would be nice if I was able to also wear my medium size Canon 200EG

backpack at the same time ANY THOUGHTS

If we're thinking about the same vest from Banana Republic, my wife got me one 20-odd years ago.

I initially hated it because the hood, when rolled up, pressed on my nape. I wore the thing anyway to please her and eventually became reconciled to pressure on the back of my neck.

Mine -- I hope it isn't the one you bought -- won't do what you want. The pockets are too small for any SLR body except maybe a Pen F, and then with no lens mounted. Angler's vest, really. I use it spring and fall for warmth, never for carrying much equipment. Film, light meter, that's about it.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, you probably had the "Safari Vest." The "Photojournalist's Vest" had more (& larger) pockets, mesh vents on the back, and did not have the hood. I have the photojournalist vest (which looks identical to the Campco Safari Photo Vest, BTW), and it is handy for carrying a lot of small items, lenses, etc., but it is no subsitute for a backpack or large camera bag. I have used mine for carrying various lenses and accessories while I have the camera on a neckstrap. (Although I rarely use it, because it is hot in warm weather, and tends to draw too much attention in many situations.)

<p>

It sounds like Mark is looking for something a bit larger than the BR vest. If you have the safari vest, you might try the photojournalist's vest. Or, for something more functional (i.e., larger pockets) you will probably need something a bit more bulky, like the <a href="http://www.vestedinterest.com/">Vested Interest Vests</a>.

Well, I thought you were saying that you already had the vest and were looking for something larger (I'm just looking for something better suited..."), but it looks like you don't have it yet(?). The Banana Republic vest should be fine for light work with smaller bodies/lenses. The largest (lower left) front pocket will certainly hold bodies larger than the Pen F, even with a relatively small lens attached. I can put an OM-1 with winder and 50mm lens attached, with some room to spare. The lens pockets on the lower right side will easily hold a 200mm prime lens or smaller lenses.

Thanks Perry. I'm trying to pare down what I haul around with me in the woods and this will help.

When you have 14 bodies and 40+ lenses and are bit of an equipment junkie the load can get a bit heavy!

One of the places I go regularly is SilverCreek Falls State park just 11 miles from home with 7 major waterfalls along a about a 7 mile trail. Steep in and out but pretty easy once in the canyon. The longest lens I would take is a 200mm f2.8. So the veest would be great for that. And if I do decide to haul along a longer lens it would be my 500mm f4.5L (there are some Dippers a diving song birdthat live in the creek) I normally carry that mounted to my tripod or in a seperate lens pouch with it's own shoulder strap. And since my tripod is a large large two section Wood pod it has to carried over the shoulder or like a suitcase.

I also do a lot of nature stuff where I drive to an area then take 1-2 miles hikes away from the Jeep and being able to load up just what I think I will need into a vest would work nice I think.

We'll see.

I've got an old BR vest, plus also an Orvis travel vest which looks like the same thing but there are some subtle differences in the pocket configurations. They're great for carrying film, filters, cable releases and other sundries but I never found them comfortable to actually put lenses or bodies in. And I was shooting Pentax Spotmatics the last time I used a vest. My wife refuses to be seen in public with me wearing one when we travel so I've given up using them.

• 1 month later...

Hi...I have an original Banana Republic vest (without the hood and mesh back)..this is the safari vest.....I've since retired as a photojournalistafter 40 years in the business and am selling off some stuff I have no use for...I will be listing the VEST on Ebay under user name JMDPIX later today it is a size L and in very good condition. I also will list a DOMKE photo jacket size M (before I gained weight) also in good condition. This was one of the original ones made.

Anyone with questions can email me back at jmdpix@optonline.net.

Thanks, Joe