The Nikon Z6 Starts Shipping on November 16 (2018) Plus Holiday Promotions

ShunCheung

Press release from Nikon plus holiday promotions:

With the holiday season just around the corner, Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the retail availability of the new Nikon Z 6 camera, along with an array of special promotions, instant savings and discount programs for the Nikon product lineup this holiday season.

The Nikon Z 6 offers an incredible value for photographers and content creators, striking the perfect balance of speed, optical performance and powerfully cinematic video features while maintaining the advantages of a lightweight mirrorless design, all at an incredibly compelling price point. The Nikon Z 6 will be available nationwide starting this Friday, November 16, for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $2,599.95 with the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens and $1,999.95 for the body-only configuration.

Nikon Inc. is also unveiling several holiday promotions to encourage consumers to take their photography to the next level. For consumers in the market for a new mirrorless camera, Nikon Inc. will be offering a limited-time $100-savings on the Mount Adapter FTZ when purchased alongside the new Nikon Z 7 or Nikon Z 6. Additionally, Nikon will be offering numerous special promotions on the extensive lineup of Nikon DSLR cameras, camera kits and NIKKOR lenses.

nikon2.thumb.jpg.4e4d00f48e6752a84f481210f42ddda8.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all at an incredibly compelling price point.

- In Europe the price point simply compels one to look elsewhere, I'm afraid.

And then Nikon UK insult our intelligence with nonsense like this:

"Just 16 mm between the mount and the camera’s full-frame image sensor means more of that light reaches the sensor."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that anyone would have such ignorance of physics, or patronisingly expect their customers to be equally stupid.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

I believe Nikon are correct that it is easier to design lenses that give more light to the sensor when there is a large opening and short flange distance.

The angle of incoming light affects the detection of photons, if the light comes perpendicularly, it is more likely to be detected than if it comes in an angle which deviates from the normal of the sensor surface. If the mount is so wide that it permits a large family of angles to the corners of the sensor (centered around the normal of the sensor surface), then potentially this can lead to more light to the sensor. The actual implementation of the lenses of course have a lot to do with how this turns out in practice, it seems some of the first lenses don't take full advantage of the wide opening, they have to adjust their designs and they probably do it gradually over the years. When the 50/1.2 and 58/0.95, and some of the wide angles come out, then we will see how it works out. My prediction is that the new Noct-Nikkor will have less vignetting than the corresponding Leica M Noctilux. But without doubt it depends on the design of the lens.

Canon have designed a 28-70/2 which should be soon available for purchase and are rumored to be coming out with a 14-21/1.4. So they also seem to aim to produce lenses with larger apertures for their new full-frame mirrorless system.

I believe Nikon are correct that it is easier to design lenses that give more light to the sensor when there is a large opening and short flange distance.

- But that's not what's said in that stupid marketing statement.

A lens of aperture f/n is going to deliver the same amount of light to the sensor whether its design is retrofocus, telephoto, telecentric or just 'normal'. The fact that the gap between its mount and the sensor is short means absolutely nothing in terms of image brightness.

A short register and wide opening does give the lens (and adapter) designer more flexibility, agreed. What it doesn't do is alter the laws of physics and gain light from any given lens aperture.

Also, the promise of non-retrofocus wideangle lenses with MILC bodies hasn't materialised and isn't likely to any time soon, and for the very reason proposed above:

"If the mount is so wide that it permits a large family of angles to the corners of the sensor (centered around the normal of the sensor surface), then potentially this can lead to more light to the sensor."

- Except it doesn't work that way. High efficiency sensors require microlenses in front of their photosites, and this limits the acceptance angle of light incident on the sensor. The exact opposite of the above hypothesis is true, as anyone who's tried to use wideangle lenses designed for film Leicas on a MILC can testify.

Sorry, but that nonsensical statement by some idiot in Nikon's marketing department remains idiotic and nonsensical!

Well, I hope it originated in the marketing department and not anyone with any technical responsibility.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

The short flange distance when combined with a narrow throat doesn't lead to reduced vignetting (on the contrary), but if the mount opening is also increased so that the corner pixels get more of the light in a more normal direction (with a huge rear element) then it can reduce vignetting compared to a situation where most of the light is coming from the center to the edges. It's all dependent on how the optics are designed.

A lens of aperture f/n is going to deliver the same amount of light to the sensor whether its design is retrofocus, telephoto, telecentric or just 'normal'.

This isn't at all true. There is a large variability from lens to lens (even with the same focal length and aperture) regarding vignetting.

Example: 58/1.4 AF-S has 1.17 stops vignetting wide open, 50/1.4 AF-S has 1.89 stops (opticallimits.com). This is how much the lens designers could affect vignetting even in the confines of the F mount.

In addition, the lens designers can increase the aperture size as well, given the increased space available. Nikon couldn't make an autofocus 50/1.2 for the F mount but for the Z mount they will offer both 50/1.2 and 58/0.95.

The transmission can also be increased without altering the f-stop because wide angles can be designed in a simpler way, with fewer elements and thus less reflection and greater transmission.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

....but if the mount opening is also increased so that the corner pixels get more of the light in a more normal direction (with a huge rear element) then it can reduce vignetting compared to a situation where most of the light is coming from the center to the edges.

- Exactly! It's the diameter of the mount that's important, not its distance from the sensor. Nikon's dozy marketing comment seems based on a complete misunderstanding of the inverse-square law.

As you say, in order to make a lens telecentric it needs to have a rear element large enough to cover the entire sensor area. To the best of my knowledge, the only truly telecentric lens that's been in production is the old Ernostar fitted to the Ernemann Ermanox camera.

Such expensive, heavy and bulky designs will have limited appeal to the average user IMO.

"A lens of aperture f/n is going to deliver the same amount of light to the sensor whether its design is retrofocus, telephoto, telecentric or just 'normal'.

This isn't at all true. There is a large variability from lens to lens (even with the same focal length and aperture) regarding vignetting."

Yes, I ignored vignetting. I was trying to point up the fundamental error in Nikon's sweeping statement about register distance.

FWIW, I would argue that vignetting isn't necessarily a bad thing (pictorially), since it can subtly focus the viewer's attention on the centre of the image.

Anyway, regardless of any of the above. It has nothing at all to do with the completely misleading wording of Nikon's marketing blurb.

"The transmission can also be increased without altering the f-stop because wide angles can be designed in a simpler way, with fewer elements and thus less reflection and greater transmission."

- No. As already explained, that doesn't work with current sensor technology incorporating micro-lenses.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I’ve had the Z7 and 35mm f/1.8 since they were released. I also have the D850. I’ve also been a fan of mirrorless since the Sony A7R. I’ve also had the A7RII and the A7RIII. Since receiving the Z7 I’ve sold all my Sony gear except my original A7R converted to Infrared.

I’m not a reviewer by any means. I’ll just say this. I’ll pickup my Z7 95% of the time rather than the D850.

The Z7 when it was announced was heavily criticized on YouTube by so called impartial reviewers. Read some reviews from people that were NOT invited to Hawaii for the Canon mirrorless launch. Nothing against Canon, just the “impartial” clickbait reviewers who would sell their soul for trip out to Hawaii.

• Like 3

Since receiving the Z7 I’ve sold all my Sony gear except my original A7R converted to Infrared.

- Care to expand on why you jumped ship from Sony?

And what glassware are you using on the Z7?

There can't be that many people willing to take such a hit to their wallet without a darned good reason!

- Care to expand on why you jumped ship from Sony?

And what glassware are you using on the Z7?

There can't be that many people willing to take such a hit to their wallet without a darned good reason!

Mike is exactly right. I wouldn't exactly call it jumping ship, more a way of divesting myself of a line of extra gear.

For the Sony I had the Batis 18mm and 85mm, the 90mm Macro and the 100-400GM with 1.4TC. I also had a Zeiss 135mm in C/Y mount. I sold everything.

For my D850 I have a Zeiss 15mm Distagon, a Nikon 20mm f/1.8 a Sigma 135mm Art a Nikon 300mm PF and a Sigma 150-600mm Sport.

For the Z7 is just have the S mount 35mm f/1.8 so far.

Apart from consolidating my lenses the fact that the Z7 has a far superior construction and feel to it than the A7RIII, the menu's are pretty much the same, the controls are familiar, the EVF is heaps better than the Sony, I honestly can't tell the difference between the D850 and Z7 in terms of image quality. The manual focussing with the Zeiss is a dream. Sure it has some downsides compared to the A7RIII, there is no Eye Focus but as I don't photograph people its not an issue. I'm sure there are other features where the Sony is better, just not ones that are of concern to my photography. As for the single card slot, I always used the second card as overflow anyway so that certainly doesn't bother me one iota. The XQD is what I use on the D850 and I've read that it will only need a Z7 firmware change to be compatible with the new CF Express system and that the image buffer will no longer be the limit to the number of shots before it slows down. Don't quote me on that I cant even remember where I read it.

Sony fanboys have at it. I'll ignore you as these are my opinions and I don't give a rats what you say.

Edit. I'd just like to add, if they come up with a decent Sony to Nikon adapter I'll buy the 100-400GM again in a heartbeat.

Until a couple of months ago, if one wanted FX mirrorless, Sony was pretty much the only game, unless you were willing to pay for Leica. All of a sudden both Canon and Nikon are jumping into FX mirrorless big time, and Panasonic (and Sigma, sharing Leica's mirrorless mount) will start shipping fairly soon. If one also uses a lot of Nikon DSLRs, consolidating both DSLRs and mirrorless into Nikon with an FTZ adapter officially supported by Nikon themselves makes a lot of sense. However, for now Sony still has a lot more native mirrorless lenses than the other FX players until Canon and Nikon gradually build up their systems plus 3rd-party lenses in the next few years.
  • Like 2

I honestly can't tell the difference between the D850 and Z7 in terms of image quality.

- So, why the need for the Z7 at all?

It's not like it opens up the possibility of using different/better glassware at the moment.

I'm still in process of deciding whether mirrorless is the way to go for me. For a little walk-around camera it's a no-brainer, but for quality work the glassware decides, and while I wouldn't mind shedding a few pounds (both personally and in equipment) that's not my overriding concern at the moment.

Whatever, I'll wait 'til the dust settles, but any user feedback on the systems is always useful.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

There are a few advantages with the Z7/Z6:

• Quieter sound (this can be important/useful e.g. in churches, in ceremonies, concerts, whenever the photographer wants the subjects to pay less attention to the photography; also in wildlife photography it may be beneficial)
  • Live view AF includes PDAF so the focus is much faster and hunts less than in a Nikon DSLR, when using Live view AF. It may not be as good in tracking moving subjects as D850 when using the viewfinder, though, but for some situations live view is preferable (when taking overhead shots or from a low angle, or when using the camera remotely)

• Video AF is state-of-the-art
  • Video output with 10-bit log to external recorder available
  • Lighter camera body weight
  • Better manual focusing support in the viewfinder

Once the main lenses in the published roadmap are out, the Z system should be viable for general photography. Using adapted lenses may be ok but there are some limitations (AF may not work as well in some circumstances, no CDAF). And the adapter may feel like a kludge. I was very impressed by the 35/1.8 S actually, and think the lenses will indeed be better than Nikon's DSLR lenses. Many of them may be much more expensive (e.g. 50/1.8), which can be considered a drawback obviously, but I think people will be happy to see that kind of MTF in a Nikon normal lens.

The Z7 of course has higher resolution which should make the optical benefits of the new lenses more apparent. However, I generally shoot too much and have a significant data storage problem and as a result of that I am more likely to go with the Z6, together with the significantly lower price. My interest in Nikon mirrorless is in the two first points above, i.e. quieter sound and better live view AF, along with Nikon-like ergonomics and controls, but I am not likely to make a purchase until at least the 85/1.8 is released (I would pair it with the 35/1.8 for indoor event work). However, no decisions yet, time will tell what will happen.

I totally understand the point that Sony have more native lenses (obviously) but I just don't like their EVF or the small body and controls and felt much more at home with the Z7. It is reported to have some AF tracking issues (not as good as the Sonys, no eye AF) but I'm fine with single point / dynamic area and don't require more automated methods. From my limited playing around with the Z7 I felt the AF worked great.

• Like 2

- So, why the need for the Z7 at all?

When I travel I always have a backup camera. It used to be my D850 an assortment of Nikon fit lenses and my A7RIII and an assortment of Sony lenses as a lightweight hiking camera. Now it's my D850, Z7 and just Nikon fit lenses. Much lighter etc etc.

What ilkka said.

There are a few advantages with the Z7/Z6:

I'll add IBIS to the list of advantages - though limited with adapted lenses but still better than nothing.

For the time being, I am stuck with the Sony A7II and A7RII (in addition to Nikon DX and FX DSLRs) - their shortcomings in comparison to the 3rd generation Sonys or the Z6/Z7 aren't sufficient for me to take the financial hit to upgrade or switch systems. My investment into the Sony system currently is pretty much driven by the desire for a single lens - the 12-24/4G (though I got into the system for totally different reasons). I may add the 24-105/4 at some point and replace the 70-200/4 with the 100-400 to have a compact and versatile system for hiking though for the time being the 70-200/4 and either a 35/2.8 or 50/1.8 have proven sufficient for the task. A switch back to Nikon mirrorless would be lens driven - and so far none of the available or predicted lenses make a compelling case.

A switch back to Nikon mirrorless would be lens driven - and so far none of the available or predicted lenses make a compelling case.

There are a few nice things about both the Z cameras, but the speed and AF performance currently makes me happy with my D850 for the things I shoot. If I'd not retained my D810 (mostly because I'd have got so little money for it) I'd be thinking about a Z series as a backup the next time I forget that spare funds are intended for paying off credit cards.

I don't really understand why the f/0.95 58mm Noct will be manual focus. I've given up on f/1.4 lenses in manual focus out of frustration, and all the focus peaking in the world won't make a subject hold still enough (one reason, other than about £2500, that I have several Sigma Art lenses rather than Zeiss Otus versions). Sure, it's a big bit of glass, but you don't have to move it all that fast to keep up with someone trying to do the same by hand. An autofocus f/0.95 lens would be a lot more compelling as a halo product than a manual one, even if they're trying to justify Otus prices. Even Mitakon will sell you some f/0.95 manual focus lenses!

I don't really understand why the f/0.95 58mm Noct will be manual focus.

The reason Nikon gave me is that depth of field is simply way too shallow for f0.95 to depend on AF.

Also that is going to be a very big lens for a 58mm with tripod collar and all. Again, relative to the size and focal length, you'll need a pretty big AF motor to move so much glass.