The new Zeiss lenses on Canon DSLR's

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by ray ., Nov 29, 2009.

1. I just noticed the other day that a much more complete range of Zeiss lenses are available now with Canon mount. I love my 5D but not sure
    the Canon wides take full advantage of its IQ potential. Aside from fixing edge softness though (my 28 Canon really loses it on the edges),
    how would Zeiss optics affect the overall image? I'd assume contrast would be stronger, but I'm wondering if the potential of Zeiss glass
    would be wasted on a camera with the low pass filter that Canon uses. Anyone taken the leap and tried one of these manual focus
    primes? I'm thinking if I got one it would be either a 28 or 35mm.. I have the 21 Zeiss for my film Leica rangefinder and love it.

2. Zeis 50mm f1.4 gives better contrast than my canon lenses. Sandy

3. IMHO 28mm would make much more sense. Canon take care of 35mm well (in 35/2 and 35/1.4).

4. I have heard good things and I am thinking about getting the new 21/2.8 for my 5D2.
    Ross

5. photozone.de speaks rather highly of the Zeiss Distagon 21 mm. Although I do not own one I am giving it serious thought...

6. Two other ZE Zeiss lenses are now available, the ZE Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/50mm and the ZE Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm to be layed as gift under the christmas tree.
    Cheers