The new B&H catalog

MathewDH

<p>Having not known about this camera, I see Fujifilm sells the GF670 folding rangefinder for 120 film. Almost $1,800 with the two acccesories. It is on the bottom of page 167.</p>

<p>Does anyone here have one. It would be nice to hear of someone using it and show a few images.</p>

<p>Is anyone else in the world making a folding camera like this?</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

<p>I have 1, though haven't uploaded any photos from it. Suffice to say it performs like any of the other modern Fuji medium format RFs (GW670III, etc.), so basically the old-fashioned folder form factor, but w/modern glass, metering, autoexposure, much nicer RF/VF, & ability to switch between 6x6 & 6x7. The nice, bright VF does contribute to making it bigger than the vintage folders.</p>

<p>B&H link is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=fujifilm+gf670 for those who don't get the catalog. Adorama also sells the GF670 for the same price. Not sure why someone would pay almost twice as much for the Cosina Voigtlander version (Bessa III), as it seems like a lot of money just to get a black finish (the Bessa lens hood is $10 cheaper, go figure). Other than the re-badged Bessa III, there's no other camera like it (&, given the current dominance of digital, it is unlikely there will be any successors).</p>

<p>Well, I have had one since they first arrived. The previous comments are pretty close.<br>

I really like the idea of the "quadruple-format" features. Well, I think they are good ideas and it pleases me that I can shoot 6x6 or 6x7 and 120 or 220 film. However, the 220 option is fast becoming only of historical interest.<br>

The rangefinder-viewfinder is nice, big, and bright: bright enough even for my damaged eyes. That is great, but it also contributes to the overall size of the camera, which is not too bad, but big enough. Since I do not take close-ups with this camera, parallax is not an issue for me and I cannot comment on that.<br>

The folding nose on this is a bit of a sticky wicket. The latch mechanism is a little fussy, but works well nontheless. One must, however, focus the lens to infinity to make certain there is adequate room to close the camera, else one might jam the front cover. Fuji does not warranty any problems caused by your failure to set the lens to infinity.<br>

The lens hood is adequate and fits well; it must be removed before folding. There is a peculiar arrangement whereby one seats a thin-line filter into the hood, locking it there with a lock ring, before putting the hood plus filter onto the camera. I had more than a little trouble finding thin-line 40.5mm filters in more than just UV-A and still being able to get them multicoated. Apparently, it is not a popular size anymore and thin mounts aggravate the problem. I got a Heliopan from Amazon and found that Rodenstock makes them, but found no U.S. dealers.<br>

The E.B.C. Fujinon lens is really up to the job. I won't wax poetic about it, but if I only had one camer, it would do just fine. I have only shot B&W, so I cannot comment on the color rendition of the lens, but other Fuji lenses are just fine. Likewise, someone else will have to comment about the bokeh, as I do little shooting where that is an issue.<br>

The soft cover covers the camera very tightly. Mine took some persuading to get it on the camera, but it eventually got there. It is soft and does nothing but protect from minor scrapes and scratches.<br>

Because this camera has a BTL shutter, the light meter sensor is on the outside of the camera and measures the whole scene. If you want to do sophisticated metering, take along your Sekonic or your Zone VI spotmeter. Having written that, I am bound, also, to say that the attached meter is quite accurate and I have had no problems.<br>

Hope that helps.</p>