The missing link

graham_thompson1

Great place this for advice. Subscibe! Forget I get mine here here and here. (We know who that is!)

As a result of balanced advice from you guysI have marked my return to photography with

a D300 a Nikon 12-24, a Nikon 16-85 (Sold the 18-200 found it not to my liking)

I want to do occasional portraits - tight headshot outdoors and the very occasional macro.

By macro I mean more close up perhaps than true macro - like whole flowers - not really a great deal of

interest in the hairs on bees legs or indeed anywhere else. Still whatever turns you on.

Having just bought all the above I need to do a sneak purchase - women - it's OK to buy shoes

or dresses but they seem to have a problem with important things like good glass. Perhaps keep it to the £500 ($800) ish

mark.

85 focal length or a bit more fine but really need a 2.8 or wider (I think).

Prefer Nikon but open to suggestions.

As always thanks in advace.

The 85mm f/1.8 from Nikon is highly regarded as a superb portrait lens. And with the wide aperture, you could easily isolate flowers, etc from their background. And it won't break the bank, I think it is around $500 US. If you want to go a bit wider, the new 60mm f/2.8 AF-S Micro is a great lens, and would give you true 1:1 macro capability, and would be good for portraits as well. Again, around $500 US. I have the 60mm and really like it, it is really sharp and fast. I look forward to getting the 85mm in the near future. Good luck!