The Little Brother that Can: Ricoh GR10

maiku

<p>Hi Everyone,</p>

<p>I have been flirting with buying a modern point and shoot cameras as of late. After reading so much on the internet about the Minolta TC1 or Nikon 35Ti or Ricoh GR1 I thought I would see what all the hub-bub is about. I cannot afford the aforementioned cameras. They are way beyond my price range, but I did more internet searching and found a little gem the Ricoh GR10. I came across one at a reasonable price. This is the little brother of the Ricoh GR1. It has a 28mm f2.8 lens. It has the same body build. However, it lacks all the controls of the Ricoh G1. There is no ISO control, no aperture control, no shutter speed control. You are at the mercy of the camera. There are a few features that you can use to try to control depth of field or exposure. You can manual set the camera to infinity focus or set the camera to spot metering. Other than that there is not much you can do. There are a couple of nice feature this camera offers that I like. When focusing near to a subject the camera tells you that it has set itself to macro mode. Another nice feature is when the camera focuses focus lines appear in the viewfinder to tell you where you have focused.</p>

<p>I do like this camera a lot. The body is super tiny. I can fit into my pants pocket and ride my bicycle about town without any discomfort. The lens is amazingly sharp. The lens also produces high contrast photos. The meter is exceptional. I have not had any poorly exposed photos as of yet, though I would have like to have over-exposed a few shots due to difficult lighting conditions.</p>

<p>IMHO, this little camera is a wonderful classic modern camera. It is a hidden GEM!</p>

<p>I took photos using Illford 400 black and white film. It was C41 processed.</p>

<p>I hope you like the photos.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p> </p><div>00YS0a-341949684.JPG.a87838d41484b8fecdf3462065664530.JPG</div>

<p>Looks like a real sharp shooter. I've always wanted to see some results from this model so thanks for posting. Ironically, when film P&S cameras were popular, the average shap shooter stayed away from the 28mm fixed lens models in favor of the increasingly long and slow superzooms. But those of us at Photo.net know better, don't we. And the average snap shooter's loss is our gain as indicated by the bargain prices that many of these cameras go for now.<br>

I have a Nikon Lite Touch (fixed 28mm f3.5 lens) that I bought in the late 90's. Sharp little shooter, but limited ISO capability, but lots of AF zones so it usually focuses well.</p>

<p>A little late in resonse,<strong> Mike</strong>; I've been divorced from the Internet for the past week. Great little camera, and it supports my contention that the camera is of far less importance than the photographer. Just love that first image, on the escalator. We're opening a great old can of worms on this forum; there were just so many beautifully-made cameras of this genre, which were disparaged by "serious" photographers, but I'd bet that there were far more memorable images produced by these sophisticated little cameras that by all the clunky SLR's! I've happily used both, over the years, and I wouldn't dare make a value judgement, either way.</p>

<p> Thanks for a fine post, and I hope you and the family are coping.</p>

<p>Thanks for this nice report. I love the point and shoots, and have a nice collection, but not yet a Ricoh. I have had a GR1 on my list for some time, but maybe I should add that GR10.</p>

<p>My two favorites are the Yashica T4 Super D (weatherproof), which I like to take out on rainy days, and the Nikon 35Ti, which has given me some of my best photographs. I had two photos in a little exhibition last month and no one who commented had any idea they were taken with a low-down, chintzy, amateurish, girly, plastic point and shoot! (The Yashica T4 in that case)</p>

<p>I would never lug a 35mm SLR <em>everywhere</em> I go. But, I absolutely DO carry an Olympus Mju, or eq.</p>

<p>Those shots turned out great! You should be happy to have such a fine camera.<br>

It's interesting that you posted this. Just a few days ago I chanced on a nice little Ricoh R10. I've never heard of this before so I had to pick it up. It's a lightweight plastic camera but it packs real autofocus, option of turning off the flash or even fill flash. And a 30mm wide angle lens.<br>

i havent tried it yet (I have a few cameras in front of the line) but I will post here when I get a chance.</p><div>00YYIk-347345584.jpg.aece523e17d79546ae22ff1d2a80c80e.jpg</div>

• 6 years later...
While this is an old thread, it's always interesting to take a look at the camera described (Ricoh GR10). Prices might have dropped some more on this camera. However, the one I want, the GR 21, is still too expensive for me.

Ricoh made some cheaper but quite capable point & shoot cameras too: Ricoh R1/s and Ricoh FF90 for example.