The Lexar Proffessional 800x CF card

daniel_sandlin1

<p>Would the D300 be able to use all the write speed of this card? I currently have an 8GB in 400x and a Sandisk 4GB Extreme III. Both those cards seem to fair OK when I'm shooting continuously. I'm looking for a 16 GB card and trying to choose between the Lexar and the Sandisk Extreme Pro. So far the Lexar seems faster and I am finding situations where I wish I could clear my buffer faster.</p>

<p>Have you checked the D300 instruction booklet? Lexar (for some reason) is not at the top of the list of recommended SDHC cards.</p>

<p>You may wish to save up a few months and try to find a Nikon D4 body if you want faster transfer rates. The D300 goes at the rate Nikon engineered to transfer. Card speed helps but it is still basic rate that Nikon put into the camera.</p>

<p>Erik, are you sure the D300 is limited in this respect? I haven't used a 800x card, only have the experience that between a Sandisk Extreme III and Extreme IV, the difference in writing speed is noticeable. The D300 does support UDMA cards, and all of these new fast cards are still according to that standard. Did anyone actually measure at which speed the D300 maxes out? The closest I can find are <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/camera_wb_multi_pagebdad.html?cid=6007-12472">test results for a D3s</a>, and there the faster cards to make some difference - but the D3s is a generation newer obviously.</p>

<p>Jerry, Nikon Italy threw in Lexar professional cards with several bodies (both CF and SD based); I got one with my D700. For sure, they wouldn't do so if they knew the cards have issues. So, there is really zero need to warn against using a Lexar Professional memory card if Nikon themselves uses them.</p>

<p>The D300 was introduced 6 years ago. Today, it is very old technology. Back then, the Extreme VI (40 MB/sec) was state of the art. I tested the D300 with the Extreme III and VI. On the VI, the D300 can write about 1 RAW file per second. On the III, it takes about 1.5 seconds for each RAW file.</p>

<p>Lexar 800x cards are UDMA 7 compatible. The D300 is only UDMA compatible but not UDMA 7. Therefore, if you are planning to use those cards only on the D300, getting 800x cards is a waste of money.</p>

<p>I have many different SanDisk and Lexar memory cards, CF and SD. They all work fine on many Nikon DSLRs I have used. Nikon likes to mention SanDisk because they obviously have special arrangements with SanDisk. I have been too a few Nikon School events in the US. Every time, there is also a SanDisk booth with a SanDisk rep there promoting their products. The SanDisk rep is the only non-Nikon person there promoting products. (I.e. there are no booths from tripod companies, camera bag companies ....)</p>

<p>Save up a few months for a D4????Really? That's about a $5000 camera, I would imagine I would have to win the freakin lottery to get one of those...;-) As for Lexar cards my D200 came with an 8GB Lexar Pro 400x and is going strong. That's the card I am now using in the D300 and the D200 has my 4GB Extreme III I bought to use in my old Fuji S9000 POS, oops I mean P&S. Thanks Shun for the insight, I'll just keep looking at the Extreme cards unless I find a fair priced Lexar 16GB 400x.</p>