The Kodak Signet 80 - The End of the Line

<p>This is a 1958 Kodak Signet 80 Camera. Along with the Argus C-44, it represents one of the last American interchangeable lens rangefinder cameras ever made. Both ended production in 1962. This was the top Signet camera, but also the end of the line of the Kodak Signet series. While it could not compete in overall quality from the Japanese and German cameras, it did sport some excellent features that made it a good shooter.</p>

<p>To my eye, this is not the most beautifully designed camera I’ve come across. The somewhat boxy, 735-gram, die-cast metal and Bakelite body, certainly feels solid and does have an interesting late 1950’s vibe to it, but it doesn’t fit my hands especially well. The shutter control dial, which provides speeds from 1/250 to 1/8 plus B, is not in an ergonomic location. They buried the tiny film counter under the lens in the front. It’s real inconvenient to read. The film advance, which takes two strokes, has all the feel and mechanical operation of an old vending machine. Ker-chunk! Although it works fine, it’s very clunky to say the least. My camera tech, Clarence Gass, said most of the problems he’d seen with these over the years have been with the film advance mechanism. The base price of the camera and 50mm lens was $130 USD plus another $140 for the two additional lenses and viewfinder, so not an inexpensive purchase in 1958.</p>

<p>In the plus column, the uncoupled selenium meter works very well and is surprisingly accurate. The viewfinder is GIANT-sized, very bright and spot on accurate. The shutter release button does have a nice feel to it and the shutter speeds tested very well. The shutter is charged as the film is advanced. In addition to the Kodalite flash bulb gun attachment; there is also a PC outlet on the side that will fire electronic flash units. </p>

<div>00YOZh-339593884.jpg.a6419e5907162022c3a70212c2dd76e5.jpg</div>

<p>The lens is the real high point for the camera. The Kodak Ektanar 50mm f/2.8 is a good Tessar-type lens with Kodak’s “Lumenized” coating, signified by the small, circled “L” on the lens ring. This Ektanar 50mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/3.5 lenses both contain radioactive thorium oxide elements. The beautifully chromed lenses come supplied with their own matching metal lens hoods. Neat!</p>

<div>00YOZj-339593984.jpg.317c7dec50938a63d7d2e2191b6074e4.jpg</div>

<p>Film loading is a bit unusual. It has no take up spool but rather it self-curls the film into a loop in the left side chamber. It’s something akin to an early Quick Load system. It’s an interesting feature that seems to work well.</p>

<div>00YOZl-339594084.jpg.0f78f72e33050bbf98bfcf7518384a7f.jpg</div>

<p>The additional lenses, the 35mm f/3.5 and 90mm f/4, mount on the camera via a sliding lock switch located on the front. There is no twisting action so the lens will just pop off once released. When the lens is removed, the camera’s leaf shutter is fully accessible.</p>

<p>Here are a few shots on Fuji Superia 400. I actually used the camera meter to determine exposure, such as one can with such a simple reflective meter.</p>

<div>00YOZp-339594184.jpg.cadc8f1cae29a68263af828aceb3f827.jpg</div>

<p>Whatever misgivings I may have had about the camera’s cosmetics or design shortcomings, faded quickly once my film came back from the lab. I was greeted with images that showed extremely good sharpness and contrast across the frame. Here a few from the 50mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>Tree Roots</p>

<div>00YOZr-339594284.jpg.1d98702f7e5339c909c508c9470e5a77.jpg</div>

<p>Once again a Signet surprises me with its image quality. As someone said on my Signet 40 report – Kodak-made cameras that were not fancy but focused on the primary basics of having a good lens combined with an accurate shutter and topped it off with a usable finder. That seems to sum up the Signet philosophy very well and is clearly demonstrated in the Signet 80, the top and final Signet camera.</p>

<p>A Bowl of Green Pears</p>

<div>00YOa4-339594984.jpg.5b8b66305074bdfae8cb38b618c3a3dc.jpg</div>

<p>Excellent results Louis. I had a couple of the earlier Signet models but never got these kind of results. I think this is more proof for all of us gear heads that it isn't the equipment that makes the shot but the skill and talent of the photographer. </p>

<p>Now <em>that's</em> a camera I've never seen in the flesh...Great presentation, <strong>Louis</strong>, and lovely images; I particularly like the "Rockhill Boulevard" pic. It's an interesting hybrid of a camera, the photocell looking as if it's been lifted of a Retinette, and the general concept is not unlike the earlier Ambi Silette. The film take-up arrangement is not unlike the Agfa Rapid system, and later Agfa rangefinders....I wonder if the camera was designed/manufactured in the US or Europe? While not winning prizes for good looks, it has a sort of purposeful appeal, and the lenses are obviously excellent. Thanks for another memorable post.</p>

<p><strong>Tom and Gene</strong>, thanks for the kind words.</p>

<p><strong>Starvy</strong>, the camera and case came to me in EX condition. I did nothing except run the shutter for a while to loosen things up. It appears to have been used very little.</p>

<p><strong>Mike</strong>, oddly these cameras go for much less than the earlier Signet 35. The size and bulk might be a consideration. The scans from Walgreens are not great but they should give the viewer an idea of the results. They always come in <em>too</em> saturated. When I see an image I want to print I always rescan it myself.</p>

<p><strong>Rob, Rick and Dimitri</strong>, thank you for taking a look and your good feedback.</p>

<p><strong>Rick</strong>, thanks as always, for your thoughtful comments. I believe these were made in the USA.</p>

<p>Very nice.<br>

I had hated the Signet 35 (I think the only camera I've ever felt so strongly about, but that's another story), and had been surprised by my own Signet 40, as you were.</p>

<p>I think this one never entered my consciousness at all, and I appreciate your bringing our attention to it,<br>

Cool that you have the whole set up. :)</p>