<p> An article that taught me a lot was <a

href="http://www.bythom.com/support.htm">http://www.bythom.com/support.htm</a>

</p>

<p> One last thing. I will be trying in the store before purchasing but I want

your advice in trimming down my options. </p>

<p> TIA. </p>

<p> Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim. </p>

Ha ha... just like me... ive done this search within the last three weeks. So here are some simple answers... depends upon price break.

Option 1: 4 figure price tag ;-)

Gitzo GT 3530LS series tripod. It can take a centre column and weighs in around 2kg You can also look at the 4 leg (3540) version; the last leg diameter >20mm and should be stable.

Gitzo GS5120LVL levelling head. Allows the centre column to move +-15 degrees.

Gitzo horiztonal adapter bar. Putting this all together comes to around 2.4kg ex head.

Option 2: nearly 4 figures

Gitzo GT2530LVL (same idea again with +-15 degree head). 3 legs; weighs in around 1.6kg (approx). However it does not have the height. The GT2941 does have the height; but is bassalt (1.9kg) with 4 legs :(. A super telephoto >300mm might push the 2 series too much.

Option 3: Manfrotto have the vertical / horizontal center column but not much in-betweeen. Not much height and not directly CF.

Option 4: Induro. A gitzo competitor mentioned in other threads. has got the height; is carbon fibre and also has a traveller like CX (Carbon Flex) series. Not sure on prices though. Their 2xx series is equivalent to Gitzo 2xxx; 3xx is same as 3xxx etc.

Option 5: Sliks and Velbon Sherpa pros do have models which might work for cheaper prices; e.g. 813CF II or Sherpa Pro 630 / 635. However not much for a height of 160 without center column.

Personal suggestion. If price is not a problem either 3xxx series Gitzo which is modular and allows you to add / remove elements as you wish; or an Induro CX31x. E.g. if you know you are hiking and taking panoramics then Gitzo + Levelling head. If taking macro; Gitzo + center columns. If using long telephoto Gitzo + whatever. If doing all this in the mountains; I believe there will soon be a Gitzo Remote Controlled Helicopter for delivering the components as needed; along with young assistant.

Enjoy your happy shooting.

Ps Ive also checked some of the wooden tripods; and they should not be discounted.

My greatest concern is the 1000/11. It is very light (2 Kg.) but very long. If the 2530 will steady it well then I'll probably go for it. If not, I guess that the 3530 is my best option.

The wooded tripods are heavy and that makes them irrelevant for me.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Hmm I first thought 1000/11 was a typo. Whoa a big beast... something like the Reflex 1000/11 no doubt.

<p>

To be honest for such a big one I would suggest a tripod with a wide footprint at the base (feet) and also head (stability). The 3xxx series can take a 75mm ball head; and is wide. Coming in at around 2kg it is probably the best overall.

Worth checking the <a href='http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/4765/cache/bypass?gitzoView=flatView&curLevel=1CAT&curFamilyId=NONE&curMarketId=MARKET%3AMKT1&actualPathCategoryKey=1CAT%3AAAA1%3A2CAT%3ABB59%3A3CAT%3ACC49%3A4CAT%3AD347&productContainer_windowsize=10&ctnscroll_productContainer=&kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&detailPid=5287'>GT3540XLS </a> (2kg; 4 section; 198cm without center column) or <a href='http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/4765/cache/bypass?gitzoView=flatView&curLevel=1CAT&curFamilyId=NONE&curMarketId=MARKET%3AMKT1&actualPathCategoryKey=1CAT%3AAAA1%3A2CAT%3ABB59%3A3CAT%3ACC49%3A4CAT%3AD347&productContainer_windowsize=10&ctnscroll_productContainer=&kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&detailPid=5211'>GT3530LSV</a>

(1.8kg; 3 section; 148cm without center column).

Or

<a href='http://www.indurogear.com/main/'>Induro</a> have the <a ref='http://www.indurogear.com/products_catalog_Carbon8XTripods.html'>313 and 314</a> which might be suitable.

<p>

Wooden tripods like <a href='http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php?PHPSESSID=7b21c83838904041630ac6da37044ead'> Berlebach</a> do not tend to be that heavy <a href='http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php?PHPSESSID=7b21c83838904041630ac6da37044ead'>(~2.2kg)</a> or expensive; but are overall larger carrying size. And with the 1000/11 it is a great talking piece ;-)

For a lens 400mm or longer, you need a Gitzo series 5 (or equivalent) for consistent results. Except for the 1000/11, a Gitzo series 2 would suffice, but a series 3 would be more consistent and flexible.

A maximum height of 160cm (62 inches) without column extension is a "tall order" but available in Gitzo, in a GT3540XLS (68"), GT5540 (59") or GT5560 (99"). Unless you are doing industrial work or aiming straight up a lot, something shorter is probably adequate. Remember that the camera and mount adds 6 to 8 inches to the stack height.

A fully tilting column is a rather boutique feature, not particularly stable or light. The ultimate in flexibility is probably a Benbo, which range up to 96" in height. Take my word, Benbos are neither light, compact or easy to set up. Mine sits in a closet. I suggest a Gitzo "systematic" tripod with a G-1321 leveling platform in place of a column. I have three (including video) Gitzos with this configuration. This gives you a 15 degree range of vertical tilt in a very stiff platform.

The new Gitzo "G-Locks" look like the old collars, but are much stronger. They have an aggressive tapered locking bushing that literally jams into place with more weight, yet is easy to loosen. The bushing is locked to the collar and forcibly extracted. It takes a quarter-turn to lock or unlock, and the legs are internally keyed to prevent rotation. Unlike Manfrotto clamps, the Gitzo locks are completely self-adjusting and silent.

I have a GT3540LS, which weighs 3.8 pounds without the head. I recently carried it around China for 3 weeks, mainly for video. I'm 5'10", and have to use it with one section partially collapsed (or use a ladder). It performed flawlessly. I am considering the GT5560 to replace my G-1504, which weighs over 20 pounds with a video head. A tall tripod is useful to shoot over people's heads, even when they walk in front of the camera, and for on-site work without a boom mount.

Four-section legs are not significantly less stiff than three-section legs in Gitzo. The reason is the construction - Gitzo legs have a bushing at the top of each section with a 0.003" clearance. There is very little wobble when loose and none when locked down. This is far superior to any Manfrotto tripod.

Induro tripods are a knock-off on Gitzo. There have been significant quality issues reported.

The reason for point #2 requirement is that I found out (measured with my monopod) that this is enough to bring the viewfinder to my eye. I'm 187cm, the head used was 322RC2 and the body was 40D without a grip. In the future I plan to get the 1D Mk III which is a bit taller (build in grip) so it should be more than suffice. The reason to do without the center pole (column?) is to increase stability.

Yes, it's a Nikon lens and I get lousy results with my monopod. Hence the reason to get a tripod.

The reason for point #4 requirement is to minimize the hassle in opening and closing. However, it's not a major issue.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

"it's a Nikon lens and I get lousy results with my monopod"

PS: Due to my awkward grasp of the English language I have engendered misunderstanding. I didn't mean to suggest that you try a monopod, but rather that the Nikon 1000mm f/11 is so slight a lens that it doesn't require extraordinary support -- if two feet of monopod extension deliver consistently usable results, then a relatively modest tripod should suffice.

I was going to provide more detail, but Edward answered it well.

I have the Gitzo 3530 and love it, but I don't know if it would support the 1000mm. I suggest you take it to a store and try it, and if you have any doubts, look at the 5xxx series instead.

I've used my 3530 in stiff winds with a 70-200 and it works great. I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, I know of no lightweight/sturdy tripod with a tiltable center column. I would simply rely on a ballhead for that feature. :-)

I didn't mark it down. Try a search on "induro" on PNET. It was serious - the legs separated from the top. Gitzo had some issues with columns in the first CF tripods, but I've not heard of nor experienced any problems in the last 5 or 6 years. Gitzo has a long, excellent track record and good service. This is a competetive business and you tend to get what you pay for.

Yoni,

The GT3530 is a bit on the long side when collapsed - over 27 inches. This makes it difficult to fit in checked baggage, if that's a concern. There are at least two versions of the Series 3 tripods - Systematic (replaceable center piece) and fixed column. The former is definitely worth the little extra it costs. You can save money by purchasing an aluminum column. It costs half as much as the CF version and IMO is made better. The weight difference is minor.

<p> This is very peculiar. Tom Hogan states the Explorer series have a tiltable center column but Gitzo themselves <a href="http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/4765/op/normal?detailPid=5334&actualPathCategoryKey=1CAT:AAA1:2CAT:BB59&kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&marketList=MARKET:MKT1|MARKET:MKT2|">says nothing about it</a>. Any idea why?</p>

<p> If Gitzo is Mercedes/BMW, who is giottos? Mazda? Ford? Any reason to prefer them?</p>

<p> Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim. </p>

Yakim,

The Gitzo "Explorer" tripods do indeed have a center column which can be tilted at any angle, much like a Benbo. These tripods are generally short and light duty in other respects. This is explained adequately on the Gitzo site under the "Explorer" series - look again.

There is also an "LVL" version of the Series 2 tripods in which the center column can tilt about 7 degrees off vertical in any direction. The purpose is for leveling the camera for panoramas. I prefer to use a ball joint (Bogen or Acratech) between the column and head, or a leveling platform in place of a column. The LVL tripods are also explained adequately on the Gitzo site under "Leveling tripods".

Gitzo has an horizontal gear-driven "column" that can be attached to any tripod. It is quite sturdy (typically Gitzo), but awkward. I've handled one but have no temptation to buy one. I see it as an aid for copying large documents on the floor or table-top photography.

<p> Well, of course Gitzo site states it clearly. <a href="http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/4765/op/normal?detailPid=5311&actualPathCategoryKey=1CAT:AAA1:2CAT:BB59&kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&marketList=MARKET:MKT1|">You just need to be more precise with your search</a> </p>

<p> I really wish there was an EX version to the 3 series but as there isn't, I'll have to decide between the 2530EX to the 3530/3540 in some version. I'll go to the store and feel them out myself. I want to thank you all for helping me focusing. </p>

<p> Craig, I already mentioned that price is not an issue. </p>

<p> Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim. </p>

You asked the question. Price is the difference. You want to spend less and get less, buy Giottos. You want to be sure of getting the general consensus best available tripods, go Gitzo. The Giottos site provides all the applicable dimensional details. If you can figure out why Mercedes cost more than Mazdas, you can probably figure out why Gitzo costs more than Giottos.