The Impossible Chimney

Thoughts?

I'm not entirely happy with this, either in colour or monochrome, but I'm not sure why.

I'm tempted to turn the contrast up to 11 on the monochrome version.

Lack of sharpness is a result of the lens used, didn't have time to change (and wasn't carrying anything else anyway).

DSCF3636.thumb.jpg.8e7057accb192dcf6cbc93617970008a.jpg

DSCF3183.thumb.jpg.f2214e2c564b5b199690f423541ba989.jpg

Edit, oops, not the same shot in the colour version, I have colour and monochrome of both available, but no time, I'll post the others later.

I'm not entirely happy with this, either in colour or monochrome, but I'm not sure why.

Cool. I’d encourage you to work hard to articulate for yourself why you’re not happy with it and I’ll wager you get a better photo next time. Do that in addition to cranking up the contrast. My guess is it will be time well spent ... The sharpness and processing may be playing minor roles here, IMO.

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Much prefer the B&W.

Is that the moon? I think trying to get it the image distracted you from showing the "real subject", a chimney with no apparent source. If that's the moon, it's inconsequential in this shot. I think that you should have focus on wont chimney.

• Like 2

I don’t think, it’s the issue of color vs monochrome. I think, it’s the composition. There is an overall slant in the prominent vertical forms which I find bothering. The moon is too small to establish its relation as a major subject being framed between the two chimneys. The chimneys are too far apart leaving the middle of the frame kind of hanging in the air.

In my opinion, the desired composition (for me) would have been the chimneys converging upwards from both sides rather than slanting. Slanting might have worked, had it been more prominent and deliberate, signifying eccentricity. Here, it just feels like a perspective effect. In any case, the distance between the chimneys could be smaller to establish relation with the moon, as mentioned in the last paragraph. These are just my opinions. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else comes up with a different workable idea that completely contradicts mine.

I have an example of composing the moon in the background of closer objects which I am happy with, although conceptually it’s different (organic shapes vs industrial).

18015524-orig.jpg

• Like 5

I agree, I think there's too many elements clashing for attention. I think another thing that has me torn is that while I love the way the chimney(s) look in monochrome, removing the colour goes a long way to removing the "impossibility" of the chimney. The lack of sharpness bothers me too, not overly, but a little.

Here are reworked versions of the two frames, ditching the left side of the image does make it stronger.

I think the best answer is probably to go back and take my time, try different framing options, rather than a quick grab shot.

That's actually probably the answer to a lot of my photos, need to slow down, shoot less, think more...

DSCF3183_01.thumb.jpg.e862ffd8fdb140be432819d67d48e997.jpg

DSCF3636_01.thumb.jpg.6f16572a380a8bf069b488148ab7ed75.jpg

• Like 2

I think, there are lots of possibilities here by playing with different crops, rotation angles and aspect ratios, going from recognizable shapes to more abstract crops. I think, the color version could be quite interesting with different cropping etc. I might start with the original file for the BW version, because the chimney looks sharper there compared to the color one.

P.s I find the color palette nicely harmonious.

Edited by Supriyo
  • Like 2

I agree that the crops shown are much better. A bit more sharpening could be applied without doing too much damage to the edges, but a reshoot is the right answer. The shapes are interesting and warrant playing with composition, but the problem I have is it just didn't register that there was nothing under the chimney. If that grill work wasn't there...
  • Like 1

2chimneys.jpg.4ed91934e5c24464e72338934b8b0b75.jpg

I would go for an abstracted black and white version, and follow Supriyo's suggestion of having the two chimneys converge, or perhaps straighten both? A straight interpretation of the scene is kinda boring, with or without the moon. Here is a quick edit, using "warp" in Photoshop, along those lines. It could use some sharpening of the right side of the right chimney.

I think that the color version would be a good submission as a "Postprocessing Challenge" in Digital Darkroom.

• Like 3

Ok, I have a little more time today.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Here is a colour cropped version of the sharper photo, with the same edits applied:

DSCF3185_01.thumb.jpg.cf5034488acc74c262cf4edf72cac7dd.jpg

But I agree, I think the answer is a re-shoot, fortunately it's not far away and a location I visit regularly. I think both a longer lens and something wider are in order, to pick out details and play with perspective, but most importantly, to think about the composition and take my time. I've had some better results recently with photos that I have planned, rather than opportunistic shooting.

I’d encourage you to work hard to articulate for yourself why you’re not happy with it

It looks rushed and, in my own mind, I know that it was rushed. Wrong lens, wrong shooting position, but a wonderful possibility for an image that was pure chance.

Glenn, you posted as I was writing, snap, below is my very rough "idea" for what I'd like to reshoot:

DSCF3185_02.thumb.jpg.21951166c3dc5b66626762a1ffe5da50.jpg

I wonder how long it'll take before the right type of cloud is in the right position again?

Ok, I have a little more time today.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Here is a colour cropped version of the sharper photo, with the same edits applied:

[ATTACH=full]1300240[/ATTACH]

But I agree, I think the answer is a re-shoot, fortunately it's not far away and a location I visit regularly. I think both a longer lens and something wider are in order, to pick out details and play with perspective, but most importantly, to think about the composition and take my time. I've had some better results recently with photos that I have planned, rather than opportunistic shooting.

It looks rushed and, in my own mind, I know that it was rushed. Wrong lens, wrong shooting position, but a wonderful possibility for an image that was pure chance.

Glenn, you posted as I was writing, snap, below is my very rough "idea" for what I'd like to reshoot:

[ATTACH=full]1300250[/ATTACH]

I wonder how long it'll take before the right type of cloud is in the right position again?

Steve, with respect to the last image, I have no issue with your perspective and shooting position. To me, there's only one obvious flaw - the triangular object in the upper right.