The Implications Of Platform Choice

Okay folks, despite the unfortunate outcome of my earlier post about PCs and

Apples, I'd like to try again by asking a totally sincere question.

I understand, and it's a given, that Apple is the industry standard when it

comes to graphics arts/ photography. And I know that means something, but how

significant is it if you were a working photographer dealing with the

marketplace selling your wares as a photographer? Would a company care in any

way, or even be aware that a photographer was using a PC instead of a Mac? I'm

committed to using a PC so it's not like I'm looking for a reason to switch,

but would I be hamstrung in any way whatsoever using PC when everyone else in

the industry is using a Mac. I'm having a hard time figuring-out why a company

would even care, or if they would even know, as long a photographer was

delivering the quality work they desired.

Are there any implications to using a PC instead of a Mac, and going against

the grain when dealing with the photographic marketplace?

Thanks so much.

Prokopowicz- I went back to school in the mid 90s to take Photoshop, Illustrator & Pagemaker. At the time MAC was the industry standard and even the best WinNT boxes still couldn't do the job. (this is before Jobs came back to Apple). When Win2000 came out and you could put 1gb of RAM in a Win box; and Adobe had Photoshop setup to run as well in the Win box as the Mac (and it didn't look like Apple was going to make it) many of us switched to Windows around 2000-2001.

I couldn't care less what other people (photographers) think about what platform I'm running or even what equipment I use. I'm a working pro and if the equipment I have will produce the final product for my client (and I get my check from my happy client) then the tools I have are doing the job.

If at the end of it's useful life I see a new tool that I know will improve my productivity, and I can justify the expense (to myself, my wife &my CPA) then I might go forth and commit to the new capital expenditure??

I'm a working photographer/graphic artist(since 1975) and I don't even take pictures for my personal enjoyment anymore. If I'm not shooting for a client I'm working- on other projects or I'm kayak fishing on the coast(Texas).

In all of my limited experience, no.

If you are selling prints, definitely not...

I have had a little compatibility issues with print shops at times, but its usually version specific, not platform specific, and the places that are serious about what they do can handle anything.

I suppose the issue can come up somewhere, but I doubt it happens anymore as much as it used to. Especially with the macs adopting PCish hardware themselves I think the issue will decline further.

I am interested to hear "horror stories" if they are out there, though.

There's really not much you can't do on either platform. It's a preference. Used to be Mac for graphics, PC for business, but PC's caught up. For graphic work, a lot of companies still only focus on Mac only. I still only do video work on the PC because I really don't like Final Cut or Premiere compared to Vegas. I use a mac/pc combo for graphic work. no one cares because I end up delivering .pdf's anyway for four color press work.

Jeffrey,<br>

<br>

The way you ask these questions indicates either a certain naivete or a desire to raise

controversy. I will assume the former rather than the latter as I hate feeding things that are

a waste of energy and time. <br>

<br>

<i>..." I understand, and it's a given, that Apple is the industry standard when it comes to

graphics arts/ photography. " ...</i><br>

<br>

I think you're making a gross generalization that might be true in some things and not in

others, and propagates more mythic confusion. Certainly, in some places, there is a

preponderance of Apple systems and in other places Windows systems. Demographics in

the UK by Amateur Photographer show that Apple systems amount to about 30% market

share amongst their respondents to the survey, quite a bit higher percentage than Apple

systems overall market penetration. My personal experience dealing with local galleries

and other creative venues is that Apple systems are the principle systems in use at about

2/3 of them. But the industry standards today are the Adobe Creative Suite, which runs on

both platforms with near equal facility, so OS preponderance one way or the other is

questionable. There is no doubt that in gross numbers there are more Windows systems in

the world. <br>

<br>

<i>... "And I know that means something, but how significant is it if you were a working

photographer dealing with the marketplace selling your wares as a photographer? " ...

</i><br>

<br>

If you're a photographer, you're not selling the computer, you're selling your photography.

Few people care one way or another what camera took a photograph or how it was

renderred to a final image other than equipment hobbyists when it comes to selling

it.<br>

<br>

<br>

<i> ... " Would a company care in any way, or even be aware that a photographer was

using a PC instead of a Mac? " ... </i><br>

<br>

Only if you did not follow their submission guide lines and sent them digital information in

a format that they could not easily use. <br>

<br>

<br>

<i> ... " Are there any implications to using a PC instead of a Mac, and going against the

grain when dealing with the photographic marketplace? " ... </i><br>

<br>

There are many implications to working on Linux, Windows or Mac OS X operating systems

that differentiate them. But as I said above, if you're a photographer producing/

submitting/selling work, what's important to your work are the photographs and that you

submit work according to the guidelines that your prospective clients require. That's

all.<br>

<br>

These kinds of questions imply, to me, a certain insecurity in your selection of tools and

equipment to achieve goals of producing great photographs: you're spending too much

time worrying about the wrong level of things. Pick up and read a couple of books on the

photography business and be mindful of what is pointed out as the important things to

worry about: <br>

<br>

- the quality of the work you are doing<br>

- the type and market for that work<br>

- financial, legal, tax information regards operating as a photography business<br>

- presentation, promotion and marketing<br>

<br>

These are the things you should be worrying about, not which operating system you

choose to work with. Pick operating system and software tools based on what you're

comfortable with and then forget about them... There are tools to do your work

available on all three major OS choices, and once you decide on that you should never

have to think about it again (other than to become proficient in its use) until it is time to

update your equipment. And then you can revisit what you have vs what is available and

make an informed choice for whether to stay with what you have or move to something

different. Letting other peoples preferences in OS drive your purchases is a sure way to get

stuff that you're insecure about, and that kind of discomfort will affect your work

negatively one way or another.<br>

<br>

best,<br>

Godfrey<br>

Godfrey, it is 100% naivete on my part. I've never had contact with the marketplace that deals with imagery.

With that being said, I think it's a completely fair question to ask if you're someone committed to one platform and wondering if some day in the future your choice will come back to haunt you. I hope the sincerity of my query will not be questioned again. And from the responses, anyway, it seems that the answer to my question is cut and dry, so there shouldn't be a problem here, which I'm thankful.

As far as I'm concerned, with the responses so far, and especially yours, I'm all set, and if it's possible to close this thread at this point, I'm all for it.

My question has been thoroughly and completely addressed, and I thank everyone.

Best Regards, Jeff

Just to add something I wish I mentioned in my previous post is that I'm vaguely aware that if a photographer showed up for a job with Samsung photo gear (if there is such a thing) he would be looked at suspiciously, and perceived as being less than professional without the requisite Canon or Nikon gear. If a photojournalist was to appear at a scene with professional Nikon cameras and lenses, and all the right assessories, he would be accorded different treatment, and his job might be a heck of a lot easier to accomplish. This is the line of thinking that spurred my question.

I learned here that the analogy doesn't exist with choice of computer platform, and that's all I really wanted to know.

Thanks again!

Best Regards, Jeff

<i>..." With that being said, I think it's a completely fair question to ask if you're someone

<br> committed to one platform and wondering if some day in the future your choice

<br> will come back to haunt you. " ... </i>

<br><br>

The analogy of a writer and a typewriter is useful here. At one time, you might have

purchased a fancy top of the line IBM Selectric or a used Smith-Corona portable. The

difference between them might be durability, reliability, longevity, ease of use, and how

fast you could type without them jamming. The IBM might have cost 5x what the S-C cost.

You bought the Smith-Corona because it was cheaper and did the job.

<br><br>

Six years later, you've finished The Great American Novel and sold it to a publisher. You've

replaced the Smith-Corona twice. The third one is on its last legs. With your advance, you

gift yourself with that lovely IBM you always wanted. You start work on three new books,

get contracts to deliver them in 24 months, and are well along in your work when, a year

later, electronic word processing software on a personal computer becomes the accepted

tools for writers to work with.

<br><br>

Has your purchase of the IBM come back to haunt you? Or do you now have a lovely old

paper weight that you enjoyed using for a year? Only you can decide...

<br><br>

Life's too short, time too precious: <br>

Use the tools that you like and that get the work done. The publisher doesn't care that you

use the Smith-Corona, the IBM, or the word processor ... the only thing they care about is

that you meet the deadlines that have been set and submit good work in the form that was

agreed upon.

<br><br>

Godfrey

<i>. . . I'm vaguely aware that if a photographer showed up for a job with Samsung photo gear (if there is such a thing) he would be looked at suspiciously, and perceived as being less than professional without the requisite Canon or Nikon gear. . . . This is the line of thinking that spurred my question. </i><P>

Does this vague awareness come from speaking with working photojournalists or from listening to what hobbyist on the web think about the matter?

Mike, You reflect my exact thoughts. :-)

Jeffrey,

I've gone on assignments with Hasselblads and Sonys, Pentaxes and Panasonics. The only

time a client ever asked me anything about the equipment was when they were novices to

the job and impressed by the fancy equipment. And the only answer I had to make was to

show them a print.

You said above "I've never had contact with the marketplace that deals with imagery." This

cements your naivete. If you plan to have contact with this marketplace, I strongly suggest

you do some studying and take some courses...

Godfrey

Mike, it comes from mostly stuff I've read, and also observing the treatment I receive on the street when I look the part, and when I look like a tourist.

Godfrey, I thought my naivete was "cemented" in the previous response to you. :) I don't know if I'll ever take courses, but I'm always studying, and not just photography and photography related subject. I feel I've learned a lot in this thread, which was the whole point of posting, to learn something, and believe me, I feel a heck of a lot better knowing that a computer platform is irrelevant. I'm grateful.

But you guys are tough though, it's not enough to ask a legitimate question, but you have to back it up with why you asked it, what's you're background for asking it, proving whether you're "naive" or just trying to start "controversy." This must be the fallout from my PCs and Apples thread? I guess I made my bed. :) No wonder Scott Eaton disappeared. :) Bless his soul.

But thankyou so kindly, I'm so grateful for the help.

Jeff

I agree Michael, but most forums just try to give you the answer without all the suspicion.

Here's an example, even before the "PCs and Apples" mess, a couple months ago I posted a question asking if it was possible to run Photoshop without an Internet connection. I got lots of great responses that cleared up my doubt, and I learned that I'd just need to connect to register. Then at the end, a poster named Sasha writes saying that it sounds like I'm trying to "pirate" software. What the hell was that about? It's merely that I don't have an Internet connection upstairs in my bedroom, and even if I did I wanted to keep my photography computer setup clean, and away from intruders (viruses, etc.). And this was even before the PCs and Apples thread.

I'll find that thread and post a link to it.

Thanks for the link Michael.

Just a warning for anyone who might read this, please don't tell me again to seek out a shrink, or something similar. Just stop reading now.

The truth is that I found myself in a rut working with film, then I started exploring digital photography over the past couple years, and I became excited about photography again, and I still am excited. I think digital photography is awesome, amazing, challenging, and a heck-of-a-lot of fun too. I've been slowly amassing all the tools I feel I need to do the medium justice, and I'm just about there. I know that photography, like all the arts, is about talent, having something to say, creativity, but digital photography needs computers, and the computer issues need to addressed, so I'm spending a little time clearing up some questions I have before I even plug-in my Dell e520. Believe me, I know my time would be better spent taking pictures, but I'm also wise enough to know that my journey will be much more rewarding if I don't neglect the basics (software and computers). I still have a working wet darkroom that I'm using for B&W, but everything else has gone digital. I've made color prints in my darkroom; I have a Nova tank, and a Jobo CPE-2, a Durst Printo, and a Colorstar 3000, but digital sold me on color photography. In fact, my next purchase is an HP B9180. I really don't have a desire, or a need, to discuss film photography.

Lastly, I seem to run into conflict and opposition everytime I post here. I play guitar, sing, write my own songs, and record at home, and I frequent a few music-related forums: The Martin Guitar Forum, Acoustic Guitar Forum, StudioTrax, and a couple others. And to contrast my experiences at those forums with here is pretty interesting. First and foremost, I consider myself an artist (all pretentiousness aside), and musicians are 99% artists, and I simply get along, feel a kinship with, and relate to artists. My theory is that there all kinds of people taking pictures, it is not "artist-centric," so I think that I'm running into folks here who are simply different than myself, and they don't seem to relate to, or me to them. But that's okay, it's not good or bad, just what I think is the reality.

It might be fair to conclude that I just don't get along with photographers, and that's okay on some level, and it's not going to stop me from pursuing my fascination with digital photography, or from seeking out answers to my questions.

Now you know my story (if you really care at all), and hopefully I can get some questions answered without validating myself.

Thankyou to anyone who bothered reading.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Jeffrey,

Pursue your photography. Quit worrying about things like computers and such, you're

putting too much effort into valuing the equipment rather than using it. Whatever you have,

as long as it is usable to you, it will do you well. Gorgeous photographs have been made with

the crudest equipment ...

Godfrey

>>> Pursue your photography. Quit worrying about things like computers and such, you're

putting too much effort into valuing the equipment rather than using it.<P>

Couldn't have said it better... Just take pix and process em with what you have. Don't worry

about what others are using. <P>

Now excuse me while I toggle photoshop into my <a href=

"http://apple2history.org/museum/images/imsai8080.jpg">IMSAI 8080</a>...

www.citysnaps.net

<i> Wait, I got an idea: just shut-down the computer forum. If I shouldn't be asking questions about computers, then no one should.</i><P>

It's not the computer forum; it's the digital darkroom forum. Its purpose (clearly stated on the home page of the forum): "For discussions of post- capture digital processing, including scanning, digital editing and manipulation using software like Photoshop, digital output and printing, and preparing photographs for upload to the Web."<P>

If you're going to start off your participation in the forum with a thread about "why do Apple users butt into PC threads," you shouldn't be surprised if people are suspicious of your motivations, especially when you follow it up with another Apple vs. PC thread.

Well Mike, I posted this in the Digital Darkroom/ "Computer Forum" when I was asked to select a forum, on the drop-down menu list, before submitting the thread.

And I still don't know why "Apple users butt into PC threads," especially in light of what I've learned in this thread, that the computer platform is largely irrelevant. I did learn, however, that it goes both ways, even though I've never the seen the opposite. And it's odd that I'm the only person who found it annoying, and tried to check-it, by bringing it to light.

It should be seen as "public generosity." I take the hits, and the forum is a better place for it.