the hallmark institute of photography!

oomegynoo on aol

yea i haven't been up to look at the school either- i mean im going either way- just i cant make it up to the open house in march- but well lemme know what u think once u go. i know im headed up this spring sometime- its really exciting and it sounds like a really awesome place- and im just ready to move out and see somewhere new- so if u hear ne thing- lemme know- thanks* meg

I work with a girl that graduated from high school early and attended the school. From what she's told me, it's a quaint area with not much to do. But a good school, nonetheless. But it's <i>strictly</i> a photography school, and not an art school. So there's much emphasis put on the technical and commercial side. Good luck, both of you! Your education is what you as an individual make of it. So enjoy this opportunity and make it worthwhile!

Hey Meg,

I've also been accepted to the program for this fall. I was at the open house in October (I think it was October) and was blown away by the facilities. Very professional and high tech. Tons of computers, scanners, printers, commercial bays and portrait studios. Looks exciting. I can't wait to get my hands on that Mamiya 645. :0)

I'm not sure about the living expenses. The Admin person I talked to said a two bedroom apt would be about $700. I know some students live with faculty. They seem to do a lot to help you arrange for an apartment. There's a housing day sometime this spring.

Turners falls seems pretty small and quaint, but there are a couple of major universities (and everything that goes with that) nearby. It seems to be a great place for photography though. The school is right on a river and in the midst of some beautiful mountains. I was there during the fall foliage. It was awesome.

Drop me an email if you have any other questions or just want to get to know someone else who will be with you at Hallmark!

-Nate-

hey nate..thanks for the reply... yea ive found some info on the area and found that yes its a small place- but well thats what im used to so it should be nice...theres one main question i have, not sure if u would know an answer to or not- well i am currently living with my parents, and was told that i wont get as much money that way- if i were to say that i lived somewhere else, like forsay, with my brother then i would most likely get more...and if i do that im not sure how long i would of had to (say i) lived there or if i would need doccument of a bill or 2 in my name...im just trying to get all the money i can get- and am not sure where to tell the financial rep that i live when we have our meeting.. and its onm tuesday so i dont have much time to decide...well if u know any thing about this let me know-Nice meeting you- See u in the fall - bye *meg

thanks

nate- yea my last question about the financial stuff- well just disreguard it- we got it all worked out! so yea its really exciting...this has been the only college stuff ive looked into since highschool, and its fun- guess we have the roommate deal to look forward to next- kristin from HIP, said we'de go over all that like april/may- so it should be fun ! hope to hear back from u- later *megyn

Hey,

First of all Josh, don't rag on her for wanting financial aid. It's an expensive school and if she needs finiancial aid that's fine. I know I need it, I really hope I can get it too.

Second of all Meg, I posted this in the other thread you posted in on HIP. I'll copy and paste it so you don't have to go hunting for that thread. If you want any more information, send me an email or something and I'll be glad to try and find the answer for you.

The original thing i posted, addressed some of your specific questions and some general stuff from the other thread but It's still useful, I hope. Oh, and there is another open house on Sunday April 3rd, that is their last one for this school year.

Here's my original post:

Hi All, I found this site on a search engine, while doing a search on Hallmark. I am a prospective Hallmark Student and am sending in my application this week. I have had my phone interview and I got recommended into the program. I am hoping for acceptance (duh hehe.) The only reasons I wouldn't be able to attend would be if I didn't get accepted, or I couldn't get enough financial aid. It is an expensive school but I feel it would be worth it.

I was very impressed with the school and how very friendly they were. I requested a catalog expecting to get it in the mail. I not only got the catalog but I got a phone call and email as well. The lady I spoke to and have been in communication with since was very helpful and friendly. They are looking for people who will dedicate themself to the program, so if you want to attend, prepare yourself to stick with it. To quote them "students eat, sleep, and breathe photography."

I am excited that I found this thread because if I do get accepted I'm sure that I will meet some of you, but anyway. To answer some of the questions asked.

The average age is 23 years old.

A two bedroom apt. (housing that is affliated with hallmark, aka they find the places for you) is *guessed* to possibly be around $800 per month. They have not contacted their land lords this year, but will be soon. Housing touring begins in May/June.

Tuition and fees run about $30,950. All your materials are included with that and they give you a $500 credit line in their store incase you want to buy extra suplies. You must buy your own camera equipment but they can help you get that and get a discout. It is guessed that the pagackage of equipment you need (if you get it through them during the first 2 weeks of the program) will run about $5000. And then there are your living expenses, which no one can really guess, but all in all it will probably end up being around $50,000. Yea that is a lot!! But I believe that this is a high quality program that is worth the money because they not only teach you how to take photographs, but how to run a photography buisness as well. It is called a "photography boot camp" and you will get 2 years worth of school in 10 months. So think of it as an investment. They also help out their alumni quite a bit.

86% of the last 3 graduating classes have gotten into the professional photography buisness within 90 days of graduating.

They will help you plan out what ever career angle you would like to take as well. and the one thing they assume about new students is that they know NOTHING about photography. So everybody starts on the same level with the very basics. You don't need to have any previous experience.

Anyway, I have asked them probably what seems like a bazillion questions and could probably post pages of information, but I think I will stop there for right now. If anyone has any other question I would be glad to hunt through my note book that I've written everything down in or through their catalog and see if i can find the answer. Have a wonderful day all! - Jules

yea josh- u say im trying to scam money from the ppl who may need/ deserve it- Well guess what bud- i am one of those ppl too- i need and deserve the money just as much as you...ne ways- jules, thanks for the vote of confidence in me! and all your information was great- i really appreciate it...ill get an email out to u soon.. Bye *meg

hello to everyone new out there that i haven't met yet...im Megyn...and jules, im still here, ive just been busy this past week with my job...sorry bout that...well Congrats too! glad to hear that u got in...exciting opening it up wasn't it! so what does ur family think of u moving away so far for the first time...im just so thrilled to move away again...its great! u will love it - well ive got some things to finish up tonite- will talk to u all soon. also any one - feel free to give me an email if u hav questions or just want to get to know someone! bye night! meg

As far as finance thing is concerned,i will be able to take care of that part. but the only big fight for me could be getting a student visa for studies in usa. the irony of the matter is that the point that this is a 10 month diploma course, which is positive for me,in that way i will have to stay there for less time and which in turn means less expenses for me ,could go just against me .US govt could suspect me as an illegal immigrant and could refuse me for visa,(according to most of the people i taked to over here)

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Readers:

My name is Selenne and I was accepted officially at Hallmark Institute of Photography for

this upcoming fall. Right now, I am in the process of finding financial aid to cover the

costs of the program. Although I am anxious about the workload and the expenses, I am

confident in that this experience will help me greatly and in that it will be one of the best

investments made in my life. I am very glad to have found this forum and to learn that

some of its participants will be attending the school with me this fall, or plan to.

I come from San German, Puerto Rico and will graduate as a Magna Cum Laude student

this May at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico, where I will receive my bachelor

degree diploma in Painting and Graphic Arts. At the university, I took four courses in

photography these last two semesters, but my actual first contact with photography was in

my first job at JC Penney Portrait Studio. Who would have guessed?

Anyways, after I complete Hallmark's program, I plan to continue studies in documentary

photography and non fiction writing at the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies in Maine.

After that, I will apply for my first master degree in Photography. Actually, both

institutions will serve me as crash courses in this field, so I can make the most of my

graduate studies, as the photography training at my university is limited, due to lack of

equipment. In addition, Hallmark's program will allow me to earn money to become

independent and pay for future studies. So, what are your plans?

I hope to hear from you soon. Take care!

Sincerely,

Selenne A. Mayoral Cruz

Meg!

Did you get my email? I miss hearing from you! I hope you haven't been too busy. Please drop me a note soon if you can!!! I am hoping to come to the open house.. but my mother is going to be out of town and apparently doesn't want me and my dad going because she can't come (how dumb is that?) or something like that.. but yea. I'm doing my best to come. If I do I'll try to find ya!!

Selenne, wow, major props to you for all your goals and all the training you're doing!! That sounds so cool! I hope all goes well for you!

I really don't know quite what my plans are. I'm thinking about maybe free lancing for a while, have my own buisness and try to hire myself out for different jobs. Take picture for magazines. It'd be awesome to do some nature photography for national geographic. I also love birds of prey so it'd be awesome to do some photography with them. Eventually I'd like to have a small stuido or buisness with my dad who was also a professional photographer. Yea, that's about the extent of my plans right now. If anyone else wants to share, I'd love to hear.

Anyway, Happy Easter and have a great week!!

- Jules

Jules- hey...sorry that its been a while..been working double and just have had a lot going on- so how have u been- what process are u on with the application. me- well all of my financial stuff has been filed, just doing the waiting now. did u get the housing/ roommate questionare? the questions on that thing were so retarded, but well i guess it might help- who knows.. so im excited to get the lists back wtih my matchups, but have to wait till first of May for that. which im excited for May to roll around here ne ways..headed out of state for 2 weeks. a fun trip planned to see my friend in Orlando, FL then headed on a road trip to the beaches. so excited for some nice weather! well talk to u soon, give me an email, i dont remember u email address, so ill have it once u mail me, oomegynoo@aol.com

see ya , happy easter all - night Meg*

and one quick question?

does any body knows how much the institute pays for on campus part time job for students?

and also,i know that during the assignments we all will be paid in dollar credits.any light on this matter that how much a student can make from assignments throughout the 10 months.

thanks

Dear Ashish:

Hallmark Institute of Photography offers a work-study program that requires students to

work somewhere inside campus for ten hours a week--that is on top of the forty hours

minimum you have to dedicate to the program. Although they pay $12,000, which is half

of the tuition fee category, this financial aid option is only reserved as a last resource for

those who really need the money, given the intensity of the workload. To apply for the

work-study program, you have to wait until late July or early August. If you are selected to

participate, you will be required to start working one week prior to the first day of class

and stop working one week after the course is over. By the way, I was adviced by the

financial aid officer not to engage in part-time employment while in Hallmark, because it

will take its toll on students in the long run. I hope this answers your question.

Well, that is all for now. Take care!

Sincerely,

Selenne A. Mayoral Cruz

• 4 months later...
Hello, I went to school there in 1996. I loved it. Turners Falls is a slightly below nation income area. Rents are pretty low. I got an apt close by in Millers Falls for $450.00 for a 2 bedroom(I was there with my young daughter) Lots of students shared apts. Some of them paid as little as $150.00 by sharing a space. Look around and link up with other students.If you have any other questions please write me at Michelle@magiccatphotography.net.