The Great Blue Heron (GBH)

ShunCheung

This one was guarding the Sansugendo temple walls in Kyoto

First of all, I don't know much about Kyoto, but the common spelling seems to be the Sanjusangendo Temple, assuming that is what Tom is referring to. But that is besides the point.

As far as I know, the great blue heron is a bird that exists in North and South America. Is that one in Kyoto in the wild? I didn't realize that the GBH exists in Japan also (outside of captivity). Or perhaps some escaped.

First of all, I don't know much about Kyoto, but the common spelling seems to be the Sanjusangendo Temple, assuming that is what Tom is referring to. But that is besides the point.

As far as I know, the great blue heron is a bird that exists in North and South America. Is that one in Kyoto in the wild? I didn't realize that the GBH exists in Japan also (outside of captivity). Or perhaps some escaped.

Is that a GBH or an Eastern Grey Heron (Ardea Cinerea ssp. Jouyi)? An eastern grey heron is as common in Japan/Korea as a GBH in North America.

Some great GBH images here.

My post has to do with their behaviors, specifically their skittishness. When I go to Florida, I can get a GBH picture just about anytime I want. But where I live in rural central Wisconsin, I see them all the time but have a heck of a time getting a photo. It takes incredible patience and luck to get close enough to one to get a decent image even with my D500 & 600mm lens. Getting a good flight picture would be a near miracle.

Line, I don't normally praise shots of tail-feathers, but your shot is like a study of aerodynamics and detail. I love it.

Thanks! I watched this bird grow from a short feather young to this majestic adult on the lake in front of my apartment when I lived in Texas...

• 2 weeks later...