sculptures placed over the past 100 years, commemorating a variety

of people & events. I thought it would make an interesting subject

so I contacted the city government to find out if I'd need a tripod

permit and where to apply(and how much) for one if needed---no

commercial intent, no blocking off roads or runnning electric cables

for lighting or anything---just a tripod and an LF camera: simple

enough, right? Well the City Fathers replied that it would cost

$100/day plus proof of insurance and various other fees for police

protection, etc...(!)for STILL photography(no mention of a tripod!)

This is quite frankly bizarre as it is in a rather 'touristy' area

and people are snapping photos all the time, though most don't use

tripods and they certainly aren't hasseled--in fact, if memory

serves me right, the CVB has little "photo-op" markers installed in

the more scenic areas of town! A second inquiry affirms that that

indeed is the City's position (though enrolled art students are

excused from the proof of insurance requirement.) This revolting

predicament, I feel, calls for intervention of THE GRAPHIC AVENGER!

Yes, where a 'dorff dare not go, the hand held GRAPHIC AVENGER will

tread, photographing all funky old bronze sculptures in his path

during the early morning hours (when the local constabulary is

ingesting doughnuts, bagels, biscotti or whatever it is they

consumne these days!) Hidden in a nondescript daypack, the sinister

tools of lf imagery will, like the typical tourist carrying them, go

unnoticed by all until the iron...errr bronze is hot and THE GRAPHIC

AVENGER takes his shot. I am not an outlaw by nature, and I could

probably come up with the $bucks$ if I had too but I can't see the

requirement for liability insurance(like, the 'dorff is infested

with attack termites or something?). I figure that as long as there

aren't any bridges or federal court houses nearby THE GRAPHIC

AVENGER might, at most, run the risk of a citation & fine if caught,

but now the gauntlet has been thrown down! It has become a challenge

for THE GRAPHIC AVENGER to take photographs in THE PARK OF MUNICIPAL

DOOM. So, if you want to become an accessory before the fact, pray

tell do you have any advice on filters that would help correct or

give contrast to the flat black tones of weathered bronze?

I'll...err.. THE GRAPHIC AVENGER will be using 400 iso(got to work

fast!) B+W film, probably Arista. Like THE GRAPHIC AVENGER always

says:-------EKTAR EXCELSIOR!GRAPHIC ON!

When photographing black leather wallets for Buxton (back when Julia Buxton was still alive) the answer for detail was something like Tri-X, overexposed by a stop or two. Also, remember that the shadows are blue and the highlights are red. Any filter that darkens the sky will also darken the shadows.

Being in the same predicament as you, I have been contemplating a new blue focus cloth with a large red "S". Just have to stay away from any cloth pattern which could be mistaken for a burnoose...

I think your first mistake was asking!

You should have tried this approach: Tell them you are going to document all their statuary, and that this might be of use to them for future insurance claims, so you would like them to pick up half the tab. Then they would have come back and said, "Take all the photos you want, but we aren't paying you one thin dime!" and you'd be home free.

John K; Like you, when I've wanted to do a shoot and run I would break out my Crown Graphic. I still think you should bring the smallest tripod you can with a Q.R. head. John C; A cape? Oh boy, I think there are a lot more Graphic Avenger's out there than anyone knows. Maybe G.W. can order Homeland Security to pay us. Kinda like Stephen said. Maybe get a Federal I.D. and a secret handshake.

This Graphic Advenger motto; SEMPER PHOTOGRAPHIC

P.S. Maybe you should just steal a photo-op marker keep it in your bag and stick it wherever you shoot.

It seems nowdays that everyone is afraid of liability lawsuits posed by tripod

usuage. I'm running into the same thing, although most times on private

property open to the public. Maybe if we paint the tripods orange with

reflective tape on the legs, we can get away with using them. We'd probably

need a flashing yellow light on top tho, and would have to wear a orange vest.

Btw, what city is this your talking about. I wouldn't mind dropping a line to

them about their fee. I respnded to a situation once with a letter to a city where

a fellow LF'er ran into problems with the law and the response ran in the local

paper, I think front page. And the city should have liability insurance anyways.

John: THE GRAPHIC AVENGER says "Thanks for the tip!" Wayne: Its that big city on the West coast---the one with the big orange bridge! Since THE MUNICIPAL PARK OF DOOM is patrolled by mounted cops, I...errr THE GRAPHIC AVENGER may take a bag of carrots along to bribe any police horses he comes across...whatever works(remember Kramer's Beefareno on Seinfeld?) Thanks all, for the vote of confidence....EKTAR EXCELSIOR, GRAPHIC ON!

There are many antiquated laws on the books; they achieved their status as such by most folks just ignoring them, and returning to common sense.

Drawing attention to such laws by going out of the way to inquire before hand only enhances the law's visibility in the eyes of local law enforcement. Squeeky wheel gets the oil, etc.

When all public photography is eventually regulated out of existance, will they be able to prevent us from taking "mental photographs?" I wonder....

What the hell is wrong with us when 2 sodomites can have open sex in the same park and bitch about their "rights" all day long and if some guy enjoys looking at the world upside down trying to create something of intrinsic value he's a criminal. I suppose it's redundant to say that really pisses me off. If 2 vans pull up with pro equipment to shoot a Toyota commercial, that's one thing, but if some guy that's paying his tax bill wants to enjoy the park with a camera, that's quite another.

If someone asks you in SF what you are doing... I would be amazed.

The police in SF have enough things to do without hassling the somewhat 'normal' people.

I have taken down electronic Muni Metro signs at 1:00AM with police driving right by, never stopping to ask if I was even authorized to be there, much less what was I doing with the signs. *L*`

Good luck. Overexpose, pull the development a bit and your bronze shadows should be fine. I might try for spectral lighting (early morning, late evening)on the ones you can and see how that turns out.

tim in san jose

the other thing you can do is get one of those red surveyors vests (tons of pockets - the back one on mine takes 8x10 holders) with the dayglo stripes. I got mine when I was photographing at the diamond mines up here and had to wear safety vests anyway. No one EVER asks me what I'm doing when I photograph wearing it around towns (looks a bit dumb in the countryside...). I've even had the local cops stop traffic once when I was photographing half in the street... :-)

Indeed, why would the cops hassle THE GRAPHIC AVENGER? I would think they'd have better things to do, too, but our Protectors are also instruments of the Governments they serve. I know most of the officers, deputies, and patrolmen in my neck of the woods, and was one of the last "special constables" myself, before the State 86'd that particular designation. Meth is one of the local exports, so much so that the Feds have created special task forces to get a handle on the local problem. I would have thought the "blue flame" would have better things to do, too but the Chief of Police got a bit miffed because some cycleists(the peddle kind, with funny shorts and shirts with backwards pockets) deceided to ride to protest the lack of bike lanes---not block traffic, just a big ride down the street---and he called out half the force to subdue those(about 30 or so) hooligans! (Imagine the terror and lawlessness when 100 or so locals get together to 'walk for' MS, diabetes, or breast cancer!) I don't know if the DA procescuted anyone (I doubt it)but it sends a message that common sense dosen't amount to much when political bosses are calling the shots ---even in spite of work by police agencies to cultivate the Public's Trust! Of course, THE GRAPHIC AVENGER scoffs at such moronic displays of bureaucracy and in the timely 'Spirit of '76' laughs at the City Fathers/Mothers. They can pry the Crown from THE GRAPHIC AVENGERS cold dead fingers! EKTAR EXCELSIOR! GRAPHIC ON!

John,

Sometines it is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission...

What if you go ahead and shoot and if anyone hassles you tell them you are from the "______ county historical recording society" and are tasked with photographing historic landmarks for posterity. Or make up whatever arbitrary lie suits you.

Slightly off topic but my wife and I have joked about ways to bypass traffic handlers at public events like July 4th fireworks/concerts to get to the really good parking. We believe a white vehicle would help, particulary a pickup truck with traffic cones in the back or have a passenger dressed like a symphony member (white shirt & black slacks) and carrying a case for a musical instrument. Besides the surveyors vest previously mentioned I have always thought a black coaches jacket with a three letter acronym on the back in either white or yellow letters would work. This time of year perhaps a golf shirt with an embroidered logo on the left breast would have the same effect.

You should be able to get the vests in any work saftey type store. While you're there buy 1/2 doz traffic cones. If you're not a pro this as cheap as public liability cover can get. If someone trips over your tripod with all this gear set up then they get what they deserve. On another note, couple the vest with some overalls and a hardhat and you can get away with just about anything. THE GRAPHIC AVENGER goes undercover.