The Gap Between Digital and Film

Okay so this really isn't as dramatic a story as the title might indicate. I hope you enjoy it though. .

I'm on vacation with my wife and we were spending a good part of yesterday afternoon in downtown Tampa on their "Riverwalk". I have my Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532 6x6 with me as usual and mentioned to my wife that there was a shot I'd like to take. She sat in the shade while I walked up the path to the point I wanted to take the shot from. Across the canal from the Riverwalk is the University of Tampa campus so there were lots of young folks walking, running, riding bikes, and some folks like us of a certain age. I've got the camera opened up so the bellows and all the shiny black paint and chrome trim was gleaming in the sun. A nice 30 something kid walks up to me with a compact Nikon digital camera in his hand.

He asks; "What kind of camera is that?" I told him "its a German made film camera that's about 70 years old". He was quite interested in this thing I was shooting with so while its still slung around my neck I handed it to him asking him to see how heavy it was. His face said "wow" as he hefted it in his hands. Not knowing what else to say I mentioned "there's no plastic in these cameras; that's why they are so heavy". Still a little bewildered, with wide eyes he asked: "Does this do film AND video?" Fortunately I contained my reaction and just explained that it was limited to film only.

Edited by andyfalsetta
  • Like 5

People asked dumb questions back in the old film only days. On the subway in New York with my 8x10 Korona view camera a youth asked, "Does that old camera still work?" I replied, "Yes, yes it does" although I felt like saying "No, I just like to carry it, these film holders and this big tripod around for the exercise."
  • Like 3
James G. Dainis

By the way, that "Exakta plus Special Modified Hyponar Stereo Macro Lens, Stereflex SLR Viewer, Close-Up Lenses, Accessory SLR Prisms, Extension Tube, and Focusing Screens" is offered (but out-of-stock) for $1400 or so. Edited by JDMvW

I brought a range finder to Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. My sister in law had worked on her high school year book a few decades ago and had spent some time with film cameras and in dark rooms. So I gave her the camera to take some pictures with. She then handed it to my teenaged niece who after studying it for a bit turned back towards her mom with a befuddled look on her face.

"Where's the screen?" she asked.

Her mom informed her that there was no screen, that this was a film camera and the film would have to be developed before you could see the pictures.

"Why would you want to do that?" was her next question. :)

It's amazing how fast digital took over when you look back on it. Pictures of that very niece from back when she was a baby would have been taken with a film camera.

What's also kind of funny is that my daughter and many of her friends own these Fuji instant film cameras. The film packs cost a small fortune and the pictures are tiny.

When I'm out in public shooting with one of my film cameras, the typical reaction I get is "cool." But I can think of a couple of instances where the camera made more of an impression.

The first was at a photo shoot I attended. Everybody else had their Canon 5D-whatzits or alphanumeric soup Nikons with big zooms attached, and I had my old Canon F-1 with Winder F attached, which slowly ground away at a leisurely 2fps. Funny thing was, every time I'd snap a pic of the model, she'd look up at me with a puzzled expression. It dawned on me that she was reacting to the noise of the Winder F as it slowly ground away to the next frame. My camera was the only one making that old-timey motor drive/winder sound and it stuck out like a sore thumb amidst all the muted clicks and whirs of the various DSLRs the other phtographers were using..

Then there was the time I found myself in the middle of a civil war reenactment while I was carrying my Bronica ETRSi. I had the Speed Grip and prism finder mounted and, even though the ETRSi is a somewhat small camera as medium format SLRs go, it's a pretty big package as far as cameras in general go. Anyway, I was at this event, trying to stay out of the way of the action, and another DSLR-wielding fellow, who was also trying to stay ouf of the way, stepped in front of me, then turned, saw my Bronica, and just said "Wow!" I just smiled and said something like, "Yep, it's a film camera."

• Like 1

I asked the young lady at WallGreens if they sold Kodak Film. She said "Do you mean Film for a digital camera?". After some clarification as to what film was she directed me to the photo isle and they did have some UltraMax in 3 packs. I bought a box at double prices.
  • Like 4

I don't like taking my old Yashicamat downtown as it draws too much attention. Yes I have heard "can you still get film for that" as well.

A few months ago young guy pointed out my Nikkormat FT2 to his girlfriend and said with a snickering voice "look at that camera". Seems he found that camera comical. Most often few actually look at my cameras.

• Like 1

Once I had an exhibition in a local park here, 2 ladies in their late 60s loved my pictures and one asked me "what camera do you use"? I answered "do you cook Madam" and she answered "yes" ! "What is the brand of your frying pans" I asked? She starred at me and said she didn't know. I then added that a tool alone does nothing, important are the skills !

That is because in the shops, since ever, the sellers say" this camera does...and the beautifull picture on the wall in the shop was taken with this camera". So, pictures are the result of cameras not photographers... It sounds as if the photographer or the cooking chef are just holding the tool:D

When you don't act as everybody, people feel embarrased. My 60$ smartphone remains always at home unless I am sure I will need it outdoors. People ask me how I can live without smartphone in my pocket. Well, very well, thank you!

• Like 1