The Fuji X-E1 has been officially announced!

ariel_s1

<p>So, the camera's been announced. It seems to be an X-Pro1 with only an electronic viewfinder instead of the hybrid one, and a smaller battery. They also announced an 18-55mm f/2.8-4 lens, so one stop faster than most kit lenses, and a 14mm f/2.8. Let's hope they fixed the various quirks and bugs of the X-Pro1, because battery life on that camera was already pretty poor, and it had some issues that I would not be willing to put up with on a $1,600 camera. If it's fixed, this could be exactly the camera that my father has been waiting for!</p>

<p>I'm guessing the Fuji's have a common mount for their mirrorless cameras? Probably not the same as Sony's E-Mount. Too bad they aren't the same. The E-Mount seems like quite a good, versatile mount and there are so many adapters for the E. Are there a lot for the Fuji cameras too (aside from the obligatory Leica M adapter).</p>

Agreed, the world did not need another lens mount. However unlike Sony, Fuji is designing lenses suited for mirrorless, instead of (often retrofocal) retreads from SLR mount. SLRgear.com has tested three so far. The 60/2.5 is superb and might compete with the Zuiko 50/2 macro as the sharpest (affordable) lens ever made. The 35/1.4 is very soft in the corners wide-open but excellent by f/2.8. The 18/2 is very sharp in the center but never in the corners, however it is vastly superior to the Sony 16/2.8 at all apertures.

The new sensor seems weird but due to incredibly low noise at high ISO, X-Trans cameras can be configured with industry-leading dynamic range - even better than SuperCCD and EXR. See the S-shaped tone curves near the bottom of this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/20

<p>I'm not fond of the E-Mount lenses I've seen so far, but I like the mount for all my old lenses. Most used are Leica M mount and we can both use those with the right adapter. The only problem with SLR lenses for mirrorless camera is their size and weight relative to the camera. The only ones I found a bit ridiculous were the bigger Contax SLR lenses (like the 135 and the 200).</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>have to say this camera is appealing to me, especially with the the 35/1.4, which has has gotten rave reviews. i probably won't be an early adopter, however. my concerns include AF speed, so i'll wait for it to come out and be put through its paces. in the meantime, strongly considering the Oly OM-D, which has less awesome IQ but awesome AF speed.</p>

<p>I must say that I was expecting such a camera. The hybrid viewfinder of the X-Pro 1 made it too expensive and only suitable, in OVF mode, for the few x-mount lenses. Leicas are forbidden for not rich people, and their viewfinder is only for 35 mm. and longer lenses. This camera brings the path to follow for manual lens users (with HQ Zeiss ZM and/or Leica M lenses), and brings the possibility to use long telephoto zooms (i.e. 70-200/2.8) with fast autofocus, the only reason for what I have a Nikon DSLR.<br>

By the moment I use a DSLR in M mode, as it were a Leica, for manual normal, wideangle and portrait lenses, and the same camera with an AF 70-200/2.8, with or without teleconversor, only for some needs and usually for sports. An EVF (improved in this new Fujifilm) in a small, high quality sensor and manual interface camera, will bring to me the freedom that I had with my Leicas in the film era, and will made useless the need that I had then for a heavy SLR for telephoto. For $800 I will get more than with a $5000+ digital Leica.<br>

Of course, the next step is to make the same with a full frame sensor, and improve the telephoto zooms to equal Canon/Nikon DSLR telephoto quality.</p>