The First L

rick_janes

Adorama just had an early FD 300/4 L of the breech lock variety- going by Canon Museum's timeline it's the very first lens to wear their

red-ringed "L" designation. Commonly found in the New FD mount, a breech locker is very unusual- it's rare enough that I cannot recall

ever having seen one before.

<p>I didn't think any breech ring lens carried the "L" designation. But I checked the Canon museum and both this and the 800mm had the L designation. Both of these had neither Aspherical or Fluorite elements, so i guess neither descriptor would apply. These were Canon's first lenses to use their newly developed UD (Ultra low Dispersion) glass, which found its way into a lot of new FD mount lenses.<br>

It took Canon some 2 years to get all the FD lenses converted or (upgraded) to the new mount. The TS 35mm F 2.8 never did get the new mount, it always had the breech ring. I have one waiting for me when i get home, I wonder what year it is???</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I didn't think any breech ring lens carried the "L" designation. But I checked the Canon museum and both this and the 800mm had the L designation. Both of these had neither Aspherical or Fluorite elements</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And the 500mm: <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fd/data/100-800/fd_500_45l.html">link</a>. And that did have a fluorite element.</p>

<p>I seem to recall that back when Canon announced the new FD bayonet mount, they said they would only use the new mount for lenses up to 200mm because it was not strong enough or as strong as the FD breech lock mount for the longer, larger, heavier lenses, plus there was not enough demand for 300+ mm lenses to justify redesigning them. I think I read this in Popular Photography. Obviously, if they had such a policy, they changed it since all nFD lenses have the new bayonet mount...</p>

<p>I don't remember reading that Steven, but that doesn't mean they didn't state it back in 1979.<br>

Perhaps the new F-1 (mid 1981) with its Aperture Priority mode and reading the F-stop off the lens via ADR prompted them to change all the lenses. I'll have to check my 300mm F 2.8L to see how the tougher back end is (if its any different at all), but of course on all these long lenses, the lens is on a tripod (or monopod), thus most of the weight is not on the lens mount.</p>