The Edge of Fog

Discussion in 'Nature' started by scl, Mar 24, 2015.

1. SCL

SCL

Shortly after sunrise this morning, I looked out my den window and saw a wall of fog rolling in from the right, and within a minute it obscured everything beyond the cars. Show what you have where fog only partly obscures the view.
    00dCQ3-555857184.JPG

2. Blueberry barrens.
    00dCQL-555857584.jpg

3. SCL

SCL

Edwin- that's beautiful

4. Thanks very much, Stephen.
    I would love to see a time lapse of your scene being swallowed up all but for the cars. It inspires me to be prepared incoming fog banks which we get here on the coast in Maine.

5. Nice thread idea and beautiful shots, both.
    This is from an early evening when there was still some ice on the lake, and the air temp suddenly changed. there were spectacular clouds forming overhead, but a thick misty layer grew over parts of the lake. It all happened pretty quick and kept changing. I only had an IR camera with a wide angle lens. I was switching from color to b&w and only shot this view in b&w.
    00dCQp-555858984.JPG

6. SCL

SCL

Laura....that's exactly what I was talking about...catching the quick changes as best as one can...nice job.

7. Mt Gellibrand, Victoria - Australia
    On my drive to work a couple of winters ago.
    00dCSG-555866484.jpg

8. Fog Lifting
    00dCSk-555868684.jpg

9. SCL

SCL

Thanks everybody - lovely shots. I think capturing fog is an interesting challenge, and all of you rose to the occasion.

10. Cows in the mist.
    00dCYK-555885184.jpg

11. Sunrise in fog, Hendry's Beach, California.
    00dCYP-555885384.jpg

12. Cold morning on the hill
    00dCZd-555889484.jpg

13. Family portrait, Yellowstone National Park.
    00dCc2-555898884.jpg

14. On a hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire on the Lincoln-Lafayette range.
    [​IMG]

15. From my house high above a valley I would sometimes see a layer of mist (cloud) below. As the sun came up the air temperature would rise and so would the cloud. Basically, the cloud forms at the elevation where the temperature is at the dew point; as the ambient temperature rises, the elevation where the temperature is at the dew point rises too (temperature decreases 2 deg. C with every 1,000 ft). Thus, if you know the temperature and the dew point you can estimate the height of the cloud base. A time lapse sequence would have been quite spectacular.
    00dCio-555918984.jpg

16. I'd gone to brunch with my wife and daughters and on the way back to the hotel I saw the fog rolling in. The Uber driver let me out so I could get this shot and walk the rest of the way back:
    [​IMG]

17. Last summer in the White Mountains. Last glimpse of blue sky for two days.
    00dDEu-556007684.jpg