The Digilux 2 continues to hold its value

Karim Ghantous

It's 2019 (which is the current year) and you'd think that people would not be buying digital cameras from 2003. Or, if they were buying cameras that are over 15 years old, they'd be paying peanuts. You'd think so - and you'd be wrong.

The Leica Digilux 2 was released in 2003 and yet one very nice example sold for AU$550 (US$391.21) earlier this month. It attracted ten bidders. AFAIK, no DSLR from that era would fetch that kind of price, even with a lens.

JJC Shutter Release Button Cap for Fuji X-Pro1 2 X100T X-T2 X-T10 X-E2S Leica M9 | eBay

The Digilux 2 is basically a rebadged Panasonic DMC LC1, and we usually see the latter sell for a bit less. If you want a Digilux 2, and you find an LC1 for a good price, the smart money is on the LC1. The sensor is a 2/3" and has a crop factor of 4 in relation to 36mm sensors. The fixed Vario-Summicron is 7-22.5/2.0-2.4. IMO they should have made it a constant f/2.4.

All this is not to say that I would buy one. In fact, if I had to choose between the Digilux 2 and the X-Vario, I'd choose the X-Vario. But that's just me.

Three reviews of the Digilux 2:

Thorsten von Overgaard's Leica Sites - Leica Digilux 2 sample photos and tests

Memory Lane: The Leica Digilux 2 – Steve Huff Photo

Leica Digilux 2 Review

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

many early digital cameras have maintained their values better than their film contemporaries. In addition, any digital camera that is 6 MP and better also still has some value.

With Leica, and a few others, collectability also plays into the mix. You might call it tchotchke-factor :rolleyes: