The demise of a D3 with 24-70 2.8 lens

paul_mcmullin

<p>'Nikon versus something else' in this case a patch of concrete!<br>

camera and lens came to a sad end when it became detatched from a 60ft photomast on a recent assignment.<br>

The front element of the lens was found 50ft away and the only part re- usable was the magnifying eyepiece.<br>

Cameras do not survive this sort of impact Im afraid. - If anyone wants me to send them images of the resultant damage and inside workings of a D3 please let me know. Please note likely to upset those with a fragile disposition!<br>

P Mc</p>

<div>00XYyW-294723684.jpg.a65cd1e86f6d44589ca61aa57d4f9888.jpg</div>

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I guess that's 18m or 60ft onto Concrete.....Ooouch! I had an old RC controlled Konica FS-1 detatched from a kite at about 100m. String found a burr on the mount.....SOMEWHERE......and dropped free. Straight into a ploughed field. I watched it fall. Now that was FAST! It formed a kinda crater. The camera was deep inside a 6mm ally round-bar chassis framework. That was utterly trashed. But I guess the frame absorbed alot and the field was light, dry soft earth. Camera and lens were fine. RC servo stripped it's gears. I think I was so shocked I never took any pix. Bit like the car smash you walk away from! Later, it seemed a good idea to record it...<br /><br />I'd guess the card(s?) are fine...although I notice the flap sprung open! How about the £100 battery? Secondhand focussing screen anyone??</p>

Lex (perpendicularity consultant) Jenkins , Oct 27, 2010; 05:07 a.m.

Finally, a "versus" thread worth reading.

so i guess all the "beginner" vs. questions are too insignificant for you, wow, im surprised, such a helpful

moderator:)

<p>@kent very funny!<br>

But did you notice that part of the wreckage in the picture is a lens hood? well that obviously means that the lens hood doesn't protect the lens effectively enough. The problem here is that the lens cap was not fitted........</p>

<p>When did this happen? Because the other day I woke up from a nap with the sudden feeling that something terrible had happened. As if thousands of small Japanese parts had suddenly cried out in pain. <br /><br />I do believe that Kent gets this week's Shrewd Observation award, though. No contest.</p>

<p>

<p>Paul Memullin,<br>

<br>

Thank you for posting one of the most interesting, thought-provoking, heart-wrenching photos I have seen in a long time. It actually brought tears to my eyes. How you gathered the strength to compose this photo in your moment of grief is beyond me. You are truly a professional.<br>

<br>

If you can, please post or describe the aerial image you were trying to capture before this unfortunate accident.<br>

.</p>

</p>

<p>Ouch... this brings back some unpleasant memories and feelings for me from a little while back when I took a bit of a swim with my D300 and a 24-70mm 2.8 lens attached. Fortunately for me, my D300 has dried out fine and it still works, however the lens never stood a chance. Looking at your photo it seems that my lens has some company now somewhere in ....Nikon heaven. May they all rest in peace or pieces whichever the case might be. On a more serious note, I am sorry for your loss.</p>

<p>DOD was 11.30am Monday the 25th October GMT<br>

It was from about 60ft up and the pan/tilt electric head fractured at its joint with the tripod bush mount. Couldnt have been foreseen but in hindsight a couple of cable ties as a secondary securing measure would have saved it! <br>

The wooden component is for when you have to shoot in Landscape mode - its a simple but effective reminder to the electronics within the camera to look for wood (scene recognition)<br>

I did think about putting a lens cap on but decided I couldnt be bothered to shin up the pole when I was ready to take the picture. Pity I didnt really :-(<br>

The 4GB card seems to be fine but I think I wont trust it until I have done some tests - not sure a microdrive card would have survived but the solid state cards seem pretty robust. The battery has split.<br>

On a more serious note - its why as professionals we have to have public liability insurance etc etc as it could have easily gone the other way through some very expensive cars or even a person. I watched it come down and believe me things do slow down and my first thought was to try and catch it - thankfully that thought passed quickly - Im sure someone can do the sums for the rate of descent of a 4/5 lb camera but best to stand well clear in the circumstances.<br>

Insurance has been passed so a new D3s body and lens will be arriving soon. Again the importance of having adequate insurance cover (New for Old)<br>

On a final note - Thank you to all for the cards and letters of condolence for the passing of an old friend. Donations in lieu of Flowers to the D3 memorial care home. A fine life of 69873 shutter activations (since having a new shutter in June 2008)<br>

Cheers<br>

PMc</p><div>00XZ4o-294817584.jpg.195d8cdf03ac5498d9f4f4edab44ce23.jpg</div>