The Continuing search for a great Pocket camera

ray .

For a long time I've wanted a responsive camera that I could carry with me all the time in pants or shirt

pocket, but I've never come across a satisfactory solution. Here is a basic outline of the things I would

the camera to offer:

1) About the size of an Olympus Stylus would be OK, maybe a tad larger, but something significantly

smaller than a Canonet, for example, which you'd need a larger coat pocket to fit in. Also needs to be

flat or close to flat with lens. I want it to be ready to shoot in a jiffy- not sure something with power-

on time and lens pop out would work well for that. A fixed 35 or 40mm film equivalent lens would be

about right.

2) Hopefully some kind of optical viewfinder, and hopefully built in, not external, and at least

viewable enough to frame the subject. I don't think an LCD screen alone is going to cut it- for me- in

outdoor lighting.

3) Good image quality, at least better again than the Stylus, which was OK, but significantly soft in the

corners.

4) Some kind of fast focusing capacity, even if it just means setting distance scale w/ depth of field

manually on the lens or

camera body.

5) Negligible shutter lag (that's most of what I mean by responsive).

6) Built-in meter, preferably with auto exposure.

7) Reasonably fast, probably something that works well up to at least 400 ISO.

The camera could be digital or film, and if not in current production, then not too rare so it's easy

enough

to locate one.

Given the above, what would be your favorite and why?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can cope with the weight, there are several "50's" folders such as the Retinas, Contessa, Vitessa, etc that should fill the bill. I have carried an ancient Retina IIa in many situations where risking my Leica was not desirable. Only a nit-picker would quarrel about the difference in image quality. I generally prefer the Leicas because of lens choice, but I have never been embarrassed by reliance on an old folder.

Re-reading, I see you want a built-in meter. After fifteen years with my M6 I have come to the conclusion that reliance on batteries is a massive PITA and I've gone back to full manual! Sunny sixteen has worked well for me since I started in photography and I've wasted too much time with meters. I think I'll trade for a M4 and get back to basics!

Olympus c-5000. Great P&S. solid (even though it's plastic), excellent quality parts, and so light I can just extend my arm, raise it over my head and shoot by just aiming the lens. Recently, I was with a bunch of people shooting some art deco detail. They were fumbling with their LCD's, etc, looking for things to stand on (you needed to be 10 feet tall to get at the good stuff).

Ricoh GX-100. Digital. Small. Pocketable. Versatile zoom lens from 24mm to 72mm (f/2.5-4.4). Snap focus mode very fast and great for quick candids. Excellent ergonomics for manual control. No optical viewfinder but an optional electronic viewfinder can be attached to simulate SLR style shooting. 4.5W x 2.3H x 0.98D inches, 8.8 oz incl. battery.

Interesting that the Konica Big Mini came up. I believe Konica made several cameras with this name. The one I have has a powered retractable 35mm f2.8 lens, built-in UV filter so no lens cap needed. Excellent optics, small size. I think it's better than the Olympus Stylus. It's discontinued and probably hard to find but is a sweet little camera.

I always look for the same as you, and last week I finally decide to take once more time my Olympus XA2 because I needed to be as unobtrusive as possible. Image quality is not as good as with the M6, but I know that sometimes the important thing is to have the shot rather than to have a good picture... and the best of all, the battery still had enough load.

I agree w/Bob Atkins that the closest thing is the Olympus XA as it has a true manual focus RF, aperture priority auto-exposure, a decent 35/2.8 lens, & is basically the same size as the Stylus series, which should be no surprise. The only thing better would be an original Kyocera Contax T, but they've gotten very pricey.

David, I think you're referring to Nikon's 35Ti & 28Ti.

No one has yet mentioned the Ricoh GR1 series 35mm cameras, the last one of which is <a href=http://www.ricoh.co.uk/35mmCameras/gr1v.htm>pictured here</a>.<p>

I've never had one, but can't recall ever having heard a discouraging word about them. And I've seen photos, though I'm not sure from which GR1 they came. That camera can deliver the goods.<p>

Top choice : Minox ML with late serial number and improved shutter.

Great pocketability, quality lens, fun and easy to use. Program exposure mode with exposure hold capability, AV mode for creative work. Manual set film speed useful for exposure compensations, built in self timer and backlight buttons. Easy turn/off by folding open the lens. Great flash gun options.

Hard to find one now you can be sure of second hand.

Heavier and less pocketable great alternative : Contax T2

Amazing lens. Built in weedy flash useful for fill flash, program and AV modes. strong body shell and view finder. Informative viewfinder. Amazing lens. Manual focus wheel, exposure compensation wheel very easy to use. Self timer. Easy automated film load/unload, Did I mention the amazing lens. Cheap to buy now.

No hot shoe for flash options. 2.8 setting also doubles as program mode so can not be set to use 2.8 in AV mode!

There are dozens of true pocket-size digital cameras. Go to Best Buy or Costco and look at the Canons. The Minoltas were great while they were in production, particularly the Xt. Right now I'm using a Sony T100 which unfortunately I can't recommend.