The cold war remembered

bw1664881174

From wikipedia:"In December 1989, Gorbachev and George H.W. Bush declared the Cold War officially over at a summit meeting in Malta. [22] But by then, the Soviet alliance system was on the brink of collapse, and the Communist leaders of the Warsaw Pact states were losing power. In the USSR itself, Gorbachev tried to reform the party to destroy resistance to his reforms, but, in doing so, ultimately weakened the bonds that held the state and union together. By February 1990, the Communist Party was forced to surrender its 73-year old monopoly on state power. By December of the next year, the union-state also dissolved, breaking the USSR up into fifteen separate independent states. (see Dissolution of the USSR)"

And then: While working as a high school student on summer break at the McGraw Kaserne officer's club, I discovered a fully intact German Air Raid shelter entry in the basement. The shelter was eerie, with small compartments and beds, all neatly in place. Double doors and equipment for sampling for poison gas all in place. A large control panel for the ventilation system sat at the entrance, some internal light bulbs still feebly illuminating the displays and controls since 1945. Being curious, I pushed the power switch under the label "Entluftung" (Ventilation). Somewhere in the bunker a powerful electric motor came online, probably for the first time in who knows how long. Suddenly the basement was enveloped in a thick black cloud of dust. I quickly turned of the switch and went back to work like nothing had happened.

http://www.usarmygermany.com/USAREUR_City_Munich.htm

As a participant in the Cold War, it was a strange and distant state of mind. As a child, I learned to duck and cover. In my early adulthood, I learned to suspect everyone.

The Cold War against the Soviet Union is over; we "won it" by default. Strangely, though, if we had focused on the real players, including Russia at its very heart and soul, aren't we all engaged yet again but with different methods and tools?

(John Falkenstine -- thanks for the story about McGraw Kaserne. I spent three weeks there as the Army, knowing I was a German linguist, decided to send me to Italy.)<div>00Ka9f-35800884.jpg.ef9815fe9688cd6c90b8cac9bf6b6f77.jpg</div>