The Canon P - Popular Perfection

<p>Back in 1958, Wham-O first introduced the Hula-Hoop in the USA. Eisenhower was living in the White House and everybody tuned in to the Jack Benny and Ed Sullivan Shows on television. Music by Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis spun on our turntables, and movie houses were packed by folks watching new film releases such as “The Bridge on the River Kwai”, “South Pacific”, and Hitchcock’s “Vertigo”. In Japan, that same year, Canon introduced the Canon P rangefinder to the world.</p><div>00ZjJv-423989684.jpg.421c32a4cf985c05afa8f15ae760b200.jpg</div>

<p>The “P” stands for Popularie (popular). This camera was introduced as a lower end model to the Canon VI series, but, due to its bright 1:1 finder with multiple framing lines and robust build quality, it wound up out selling the IV cameras five-to-one. The camera was made for three years and over 87, 875 units were produced (Dechert). The original price with the 50mm f/1.4 lens was $146.<br>

It is one of my favorite film cameras and one of the most beautiful cameras I own. </p><div>00ZjJz-423989884.jpg.1a61f77c1c30bf07908f7b9980042bdc.jpg</div>

<p>This nice example came to me, some months ago, directly from Japan, via our own forum member Michael Smith. Not only was the camera very clean and in perfect working order, he gave me a cracking good deal on it too. Thanks Mike! This camera is the embodiment of everything I like about classic rangefinder cameras. A design that is at once simple and sleek yet elegant. The complete simplicity of operation means photography with just the basic elements of shutter speed, f-stop and focus…nothing else to get in the way.<br>

Those elements are executed in such a precise way that merely handling the camera is a tactile delight. Yet strange as it may seem, it’s also those properties that allows the camera to work so naturally with your eye that it seems to disappear from the hands as you concentrate on the subject. </p><div>00ZjK0-423991584.jpg.31e588ef2ba50aa33587e72b6e28a7fb.jpg</div>

<p>The feature set is Spartan but what’s there is choice. There is a shutter range from 1-1/1000, B, plus X (1/55). A handy self timer sits on the front panel. A locking PC flash sync is located on the top left side. The beautifully designed rewind knob folds neatly away, retaining the sleek top panel lines. The film advance level is the perfect thickness, length and angle. The bright viewfinder shows frame lines for 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm lenses. The parallax-corrected viewfinder magnification is 1:1 so you can keep both eyes open while shooting. For me this is a key element in staying visually connected to my subject. The accessory shoe can hold a flash or viewfinder for wider or longer lenses.</p>

<p>There is a selenium meter, made for the P, which also fits into the accessory shoe and couples to the shutter speed dial. It has a high and low switch that will allow readings high as 19EV and as low as 4EV @iso100. Mine works well but I rarely use it. It takes away much of the compactness of the camera and, frankly, doesn’t do anything for its looks. </p>

<div>00ZjK1-423993584.jpg.4e70bca88e76b35053cb953c61e4b480.jpg</div>

<p>I have a wide assortment of LTM mount Canon lenses for this camera. The lens that is on often is the black Canon LTM 35mm f/2. This is well made, compact lens that is quite sharp. Like many Canon LTM lenses, it has the 40mm filter thread that is hard to find filters to fit. I have a number of step-up rings to more commonly found filters and hoods sizes that work well enough. This lens has seven-elements in four groups.</p>

<p>Here are a few images made with this lens on Fuji Superia 400 film.</p>

<div>00ZjK3-423995584.jpg.25541496dde26769d8ee5c5ed760b912.jpg</div>

<p>#1 Portrait of Winston<br>

I photographed my pal, and fellow photographer, Winston Foster in his kitchen. There is this small alcove where the table fits by a large bay window. These cramped quarters needed the 35mm focal length to get anything more than just a head shot. He says my Canon's are dog snot. I say his Leica's are bloatware. We're good freinds. </p>

<div>00ZjK4-423995684.jpg.aff659821d9e22b08e4fd7d8001bbdd8.jpg</div>

• Like 2

<p>#4 Luchtime at Arthur Bryant's<br>

This packed house is a daily occurance at what is possibly the best Bar-B-Q spot in Kansas City...if not the world. The line on the right goes clear out the door and down the street. Shot hand held and wide open.</p>

<div>00ZjK9-423999584.jpg.fafbd43ec01c5031182aed4162af8258.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>#9 V-Rod Power Plant<br /> 50mm f/1.4 This one was shot with the new Kodak Portra 400. Very sharp film with smooth tones and fine-grain.</p>

<p>Sometimes you just bond with a camera. The combination of great quality, utter simplicity and thoughtful design has combined to create close to my idea of a perfect camera. The Canon P was very popular in its day and it remains popular many decades later. An amazing feat for any camera. For me, the Canon P will always be....popular perfection.</p>

<p>P.S. The meter for the P also fits all the IV series camera as well.</p><div>00ZjKF-424001884.jpg.282eeedd7041ccc632045aa1aaa7e3e7.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>Gorgeous work with a gorgeous camera. As I look at the pictures, each one is my favorite in turn until I look back at the earlier ones.</p>

<p>I'm more of a Nikon/Contax/(Kiev) guy 'philosophically,' but this P model is one I've always been tempted by.</p>

<p>Ah, yes; lovely work, <strong>Louis</strong>. It would be hard to imagine a more elegant camera, endowed as it is with the brilliant simplicity of a "less is more" design approach. Many of your fines frames are of a kind I'd never ordinarily attempt with a rangefinder camera, and you've demonstrated perfectly what such a camera can produce, in competent hands. Almost impossible to pick a favourite, though "A Storm Gathering..." moves me... Thanks for a great post.</p>

<p>You are someone who does not only admire classic cameras but you also can use them ... and outperform many others using modern equipment. Congrats!<br>

Canon LTM cameras are a bit hard to find over here in Germany, and I already have three LTM bodies (Leica IIIa, FED 1g and Canon 7s), but the Canon P really looks seducing...</p>

<p>Louis,</p>

<p>I am glad you put that camera to good use! I love the Canon LTM cameras and lenses as you do, but alas with two little kids about I cannot afford to have many systems anymore. That 35/2 is an amazing lens. The 500 USD price tag these lenses fetch today are a bargain in my opinion.</p>

<p>Mukul, Louis` camera is the one I sold you. I had the frame lines replaced from a junk camera. The original frame lines were askew because the person who installed them way back when did a poor job. It slipped through quality control!</p>

<p>Keep enjoying that camera Louis.</p>

<p>Mike</p>