The Canon 100mm f/3.5 Lens - My First Shots

Lou_Meluso

<p>I wanted to expand the lens kit for my Canon 7 rangefinder to include a portrait lens since I enjoy shooting people. After researching around photo.net and other web resources, I decided I would go with the late, all black version of the Canon 100mm f/3.5 lens. With 5 elements in 4 groups, this lens seemed to have earned a good reputation. The problem was finding one. All the usual places were dry except the Hollywood whale hunter that had a nice one…for three times the price. I had to pass that one up.</p>

<p>I kept looking till one day I found one right here in the pnet equipment for sale list by member Mike Smith, who lives in Japan. He gave me a cracking good deal on a clean, user grade lens with caps and the very hard to find original Canon T-42 hood. Thanks Mike! It was in pretty decent condition (the hood was near mint!) but it had some of the usual age related issues that come with a 50-year-old lens. It had some slight de-centering, hard grease, slight dirt and minor collimation issues.</p>

<p>To bring it up to factory spec, I sent the lens off to Gus Lazzari for an overhaul. Gus did a beautiful, professional job. It was like getting a new lens back. Thank you, Gus! (btw, he give discounts for pnet members). Really top notch work and decent turnaround times.</p>

<div>00XZlc-295493584.jpg.abdb32c2950e7393bc4fda9e69fb1394.jpg</div>

<p>The first thing that hits you is how small this lens is. It’s not nearly as fast as the f/2 version, so I expected it to be smallish, but this thing is downright tiny and oh-so-light. Ten blades make an almost round aperture. I’m loving it already. So I load the camera with Fuji Superia 400 and head out to make my first shots with it. The film processing and scans courtesy of Walgreens.</p>

<div>00XZle-295495584.jpg.ee549f02471f34d29dd35a19fc8e0027.jpg</div>

<p>This is shot wide open. I’m about 20 feet away on a tripod. I wasn’t quite expecting this level of sharpness and contrast from a vintage lens wide open. Of course I had read about its wide-open performance but it didn’t hit home till now. </p><div>00XZlg-295495784.jpg.faf343404c810506f9a88e854a10975b.jpg</div>

<p>Since I want to shoot portraits with the lens, I got a few victims; I mean models, together to help me test it out. Amanda was sitting by a large window but the light was very low. This is shot at f/4 @ 1/60 and it was still under exposed. Not the sharpest or ideal exposure but I liked the shot anyway.</p><div>00XZlp-295499684.JPG.498636030250da03fb2ba14cc3c5bf84.JPG</div>

<p>Last one. Just to try another nature close up, I stopped it down to F/8 at minimum focus distance of 1 meter. </p>

<p>Overall, I’m delighted with the lens. It’s small, light and sharp and will be a great addition to my Canon rangefinder kit. Thanks for taking a look.</p><div>00XZlz-295507584.jpg.ea2119233c71ae8cd2d3f9bef0da0984.jpg</div>

<p>The <strong>"Amanda"</strong> image has a "Mona Lisa" quality to it.<br>

I like it very much.</p>

<p>A lens such as yours had certainly seen it's better days, but I viewed it like a <strong>"diamond in the rough" student.</strong> <br>

Well, it graduated from my <em>TLC Camera Repair</em> college and I'm filled with pride as I see the student succeed.<br>

Thanks Lou for the kind mention.</p>

<p>Louis,</p>

<p>First lovely photos. Wes`s photo does have great bokeh. It is one of the things I like about the 100mm. It also produces great colors and contrast under clear blue skies.</p>

<p>Second, your welcome. After I sold it to you I regretted it and bought another one.</p>

<p>Third, I bought a Canon 135mm f3.5 based your recommendation and photos posted in the Classic Cameras Forum. I cannot wait to try it out. My Canon 7 kit is complete like yours. Now, I have to get all the lenses collimations to ensure they are accurate.</p>

<p>Again, Louis great photos. I am happy you like the lens.</p>

<p>Here are three photos taken with the same lens.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p> </p><div>00Xa2a-295741584.jpg.9e9d5875aa6480f6e356e5c0ad1165d1.jpg</div>

<p>I've used the Canon 100 f3.5 for over 30 years. The only problem was the depth of field sleeve came loose, a small drop of super glue fixed it. The accurate comment about the focus throw I've found to be good news. In good light the large focusing movement range makes it very easy to focus accurately. It is the only long focal length lens I use on the Leica CL as the light weight makes it easy to balance and doesn't strain the lens mount. Overall if the late black series LTM Canon lenses are as good as my 100 and the 50 1.4 I'll start looking for a black series f2.0 35 soon.</p>