The Camera in the Middle: 2 1/4

Mike - I looked long and hard at getting a C33 when I got out of the service. I even bought a Beseler 67 enlarger for medium format. For whatever reason I didn't get into MF until much later.

MW - I agree. I almost missed posting the Coffee Break column as the rest wasn't that interesting and I had so much other material.

Went back and read the Coffee Break column again. Still funny (the Fred Spira part) even after multiple reads. Today a weak negative lens would allow infinity focus, but the loss of quality would be unacceptable to most users. I remember using a barlow lens to allow my SLR to reach focus on a Newtonian reflecting telescope which had limited focus travel.

Another nice view into the past. Thanks again Marc!

Interesting piece on the square format.

Keppler was writing about the technical "battle already lost" of rangefinder versus SLR and offering 11 x 14 prints to prove it. I wonder if there are any of those prints around.

It is always a thrill to find favorite cameras featured in these pages. I found a review of the Rolleicord Vb, and a short note on the launching of the Pen D.

About the Coffee Break, is Fred Spira the one of Spiratone fame?