The best nikon system for $2500

nancy_klich

<p>I want to build the best Nikon digital slr system I can for $2500, including a variety of lenses, lights, tripods, etc.. I have researched a bit on the NikonUSA site and read a bit about a basic, but versitle, system, but need more personalized advice. <br>

I came from the old days of film and had a Nikon with wide angle to 500mm lenses but no longer have any of that equipment. Any suggestions for digital camera and lenses would be helpful - I want the best quality for serious amateur shutterbugging - I'd like to take macro, portrait, landscape photos. I don't need or want any video or movie capabilities, but I do want the best quality photos so will take the video if needed. Also will consider buying reconditioned or brand new, so ideas in the "you might be able to get this camera (lens)" used will also help.<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>Zooms or primes? Do you need fast lenses? VR?</p>

<p>To keep the keep the cost down I would seriously look at a number of manual focus lenses to cover macro and landscape - there is no reason for af in these situations. This just leaves you with af portrait lenses to buy meaning you can put more money into getting the best body you can - this is the most cost effective way to the best quality. If you are happy to stitch your wide landscapes you can eliminate wides angles too (or at least until you really want them).</p>

<p>If you do want more AF on a budget without compromising quality buy a 35-70 f/2.8. they are 250ish on the auction site and very sharp well made pro lenses.</p>

<p>You are going to struggle with this budget if you need to included flash(s) and a good tripod + head.</p>

<p>Nikon D90 $810<br>

Tamron 90/2.8 macro $400<br>

Nikon 50/1.8 $120<br>

Nikon 17-55/2.8 $1350</p>

<p>Yes, it is a bit over $2500. Yes, it doesn't even have a tripod. $2500 just doesn't carry too far with good DSLR gear. May be if you spend the money in one place, you can get the sale person to throw in a flash card plus a bag. Look at the bright side, the D90 has a built-in flash :-) </p>

<p>When your overall budget is $2500, that pretty much means you should get a D90 body, which has the video capability you of course don't need to use. That is about $800. We need to clarify exactly what</p>

<blockquote>

<p>a variety of lenses, lights, tripods, etc.. a variety of lenses, lights, tripods, etc..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>means. To cover macro, landscape, and portrait, you might consider the new 85mm DX macro lens and some 10-24 or 12-24 type wide angle. Add a 50mm/f1.8 or 35mm/f1.8 and you are pretty well covered.</p>

<p>There is no point to bring up the D700; that body alone is going to eat up the OP's entire budget.</p>

<p>with your budget i would sugest a D300 with two Sb800 strobes and a decent tripod. Then a 50m f1.8. A Sigma 10-20 (you dont need the new version) Maybe a 200mm f4 ais (got mine for £16 a few months ago) A 35 and an 85 mm AI (loads to choose from ) Why not grab a 135mm too. So cheap ATM if you look around. A background support and some muslin to start you off. Photosel have some good prices. Not top quality, but will do to start with. A generic remote release. Spare battery and CF card.<br /> This sholud do you for starters. Ok you are missing some range , but you dont have a huge budget. You might want to include an 18-200 vr in there somewhere. Despite what some people say, it is possible to take quality pictures with this lens and it is just SO useful a range.</p>

<p>Hey Nancy,<br>

Welcome back in our world! It is hard to tell you what to do with your money... you have to spend some time to see what the market is offering because you are already familiar with camera and lens specs from your slr time.<br>

But if I'll be in your situation I'll buy a new D90 camera (I know that many people will advice to go for and older used camera but this is my option) and with the money left in the budget I'll buy several new and used prime since you are familiar with such of glass. <br>

In my wish list would be: Sigma 20mm f/1.8; Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Nikon 35mm f/1.8; Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AI or f/1.4 G or the excelent Sigma 50 f/1.4; Nikon 85 f/1.8 and so on...<br>

Of course that you cannot purchase all of them from your budget but it's enough to pick what focals are more appropriate with your needs and shooting style. You can go cheaper purchasing some old stuff, manual lenses, that are available sometime at good price but check first if those have a good reputation for digital cameras.<br>

Another options is to buy a wide prime and a 50mm and then a 80-200mm zoom that is a very good and versatile lens and you cand find good used copies.<br>

Make sure when you pick your lens to read some reviews in advance... Some good information you can find here <a href="http://photozone.de/Reviews/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests">http://photozone.de/Reviews/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests</a> and here <a href="http://www.pbase.com/marcoraugei/nikonlenses">http://www.pbase.com/marcoraugei/nikonlenses</a> <br>

What is important is to start somewhere and start with a good camera and with good glass. In future you'll find possibilities to expand your stuff but make sure you don't make any compromise in quality when aquiring the initial equipment. Good luck!</p>

<p>D90 Body <strong>$810.00</strong><br>

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DX <strong>$185.00</strong><br>

55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX VR <strong>$150.00 (refurb)</strong><br>

50mm f/1.8 <strong>$125.00</strong><br>

105mm f/2.8 VR Micro <strong>$800 (reburb)</strong><br>

SB-600 flash <strong>$219.00</strong><br>

<strong>Total $2289.00</strong><br>

All current prices at Adorama & leaves you <strong>$211.00</strong> for tripod & filters</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>the best quality for serious amateur shutterbugging ... macro, portrait, landscape photos</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your question is a bit too broad. This is especially difficult for the consideration of lenses, as one would have to consider focal length, prime vs zoom, fast vs slow/light wight/cheap, Nikon vs third party. If you do not narrow down your question a little bit, you will get answers all over the place.</p>

<p>However at this point it seems that one thing you are not interested in shooting is fast action/sports so this rules out cameras with super fast AF. In this case the choice is between D90 ($800) or D5000 ($650). These two have nearly identical sensors. One major difference is that the D5000 does not have built in AF motor so you want to make sure that your lenses do.</p>

<p>In terms of lens, this is very complicated. What was your favorite lens in the film days? In general, the 17-50 mm range is the most useful for the DX format of the cameras, and this range is equal to 25-75 mm of the film (full frame) days. Do you want f2.8, if not, go with the kit lens? If you find f2.8 useful for low light and shallow DOF, then you can buy the Nikon version ($1300 new, $900 used, almost 900 g in weight) or the Tamron version ($650, 600g). I believe those made by Sigma and Tokina are also quite good, but the new Tamron has VC (vibration control). I have the Nikon version and love it but it is very heavy. You may not have money left for a macro lens (if you also buy the flash and tripod). The cheap way to go is to buy the AFD 50/1.8 ($120) and use a 10T close up lens. The 50/1.8 can be doubled as a good lens for head/shoulder shots. (However if you really want to use the 50mm for photographing people, the Sigma 50/1.4 is a fabulous choice but it will set you back by $450).</p>

<p>For flash, SB600 is outstanding for the size and cost ($250). It can bounce well with a 20ft ceiling. For tripod, get one that is made of carbon fiber to reduce weight. I think a reasonable one may cost $250.</p>

<p>I think the best strategy to build a camera system is to buy fewer equipment first but spend money on truly quality products. Buying and selling constantly are just tedious.</p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

<p>Nancy<br>

welcome to Photonet and I humbly apologise that you have to deal with so many smart ass answers luckily there are many people trying to be helpful, for sure $2500 should be more than enough to get you started I think a D90 is a good start and maybe a used 18-70mm and an SB600 flash and a $125 Slik tripod then just start taking pictures and find out where you equipment limits you, the tools shoot fit the task not the other way around.<br>

As to people telling you to spend your entire budget on one camera or that $2500 is not enough money to get started I'm hoping there joking or drunk..<br>

Steve </p>

I'd head for the KEH website and look around. If you go for a D300 you can find tons of manual focus AI lens compatible with that body for little money. I have mf Nikkors in 28, 35, 50, 85, 135, 80-200 and 300mm for a total of under $600. All in good but not new condition and all will meter on my digital bodies. I have a couple of modern zooms as well but am not a big fan of AF. Unless you just insist on the newest gear, and you don't seem to, you can put together a bagful of useful equipment and have money left over. Don't forget to pick up some memory cards and a good bag. It's a great time to be getting back into photography.

Rick H.

<p>Ditto going used. KEH lenses are exactly as the describe them. Even BGN quality have good glass. You should be able to put together a nice 24/35/85 prime combo for that and still have enough left over for a used D200</p>

<p>All,<br>

I"m a little curious no one recommended getting the D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens for $1031, available right now on Amazon. That lens is a pretty good lens for only $230 more than buying the D90 body only. Or you could get the D90 with kit lens, camera bag, SD card, card reader, and spare battery on Adorama for only $1,102.71.<br>

Does anyone agree with that?<br>

Someone recommended the Tamron 90mm macro lens, which I use with my D90 and love, so I too would second that. There's a $60 rebate on it right now, and, if you search for it on Microsoft's Bing.com website, you can follow the link from there to buy it using their Cashback program and get an additional 2-10% off (you can do that for anything you're looking for). I bought mine from Beach Camera brand new on eBay using 'Buy it Now" for $449, with a $60 rebate, and Bing cashback of $35.92, making the final cost $353.08.<br>

You can get the Nikon Wireless remote for only $14.53 on Amazon, that's another need, as well as a spare battery (definitely a must have).<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>The OP specifies landscape, macro, and portrait with a decent budget. Therefore I would avoid any plastic-mount, general-purpose lenses such as the 18-55, 55-200, and 18-105. If you have a very limited budget and need some "overall" lens, you may have no other choice but to compromise with one of those, but if one can afford someting better, I would avoid all plastic mount Nikon lenses. Threads such as this one remind us how fragile they are: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00V7TI">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00V7TI</a></p>

<p>In my mind:</p>

<ul>

<li>Landscape is certainly not limited to any particular focal length, but I would get a wide zoom such as 12-24, 10-24 or 10-20, probably a Tokina or Sigma given the OP's budget.</li>

<li>Macro means some 60mm or 105mm macro lens, perhaps some 85 or 90mm.</li>

<li>Portrait is a bit difficult since there is no DX portrait lens. This topic has been discussed over and over in this forum. You can use a 50mm/f1.8 AF-D but that is a little short. A 60mm or 85mm macro lens can perhaps be used for portrait also.</li>

</ul>

<p>If I had that budget I would go to B&H Photo and Video and purchase D-90 with a used Macro Nikkor lens, plus a used or new SB-800 or SB-900. Then get some work and start saving to purchase another lens and a strobe kit. Forget about the tripod, use your hands and legs to steady the camera.<br />The Speedlights work off the camera on remote and the built-in flash on the D-90 can be used as commander to fire them. So with this setup you can start doing very good photographs if you have some photographic knowledge.<br />My five cents...</p>

<p>The D90 with the 18-105 lense is a very nice unit, and very affordable. Sure it has some plastic, so do the tanks in the US army and many other places, it will not corrode or rust. In many cases it can take more punishment than metal, it will flex some before it breaks. If you drop any lense hard enough, the inside stuff will go before the outside will. I own the D90 with the above lense along with other lenses and it is quite a capable unit. The price is right and it takes much nicer pics than the older 18-55 does. Ultimately though, it is your choice on what you spend. The D90 is a very respectable start, even if you just get it and the lense for now along with a bag and tripod, then you will see what else you would like with it. I am very happy with mine, takes excellent photos and still has some nice programmed modes to help you learn.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the info. I have a much better idea of what to look for and issues to consider. Since I built my slr slowly over time while living in Japan, I never gave much consideration to trying to get all I want at once and on a limited budget. <br>

I worked for a short time in the '70s as a semi-pro b&w photograhper for local papers and was photo editor of my college yearbook. I have been away from serious photograhpy for ages and ages but am retiring and want to spend some quality time behind the lens again. I want to get the best and most versatile I can since I it will probably take a long time to save for additional equipment on my retirement income. I can probably give up on the studio portrait stuff which will give me more equipment.<br>

I have a budget of about $5000 for a new computer and camera stuff. If I go with an iMac, I can free up about 800 additional for the camera stuff. If I go with a MacBook, I have the 2500. I'd love to have the flexibility of the MacBook but am torn between that and the camera stuff. Your responses are pushing me more to the iMac. That way I can go with the better body and/or more lenses.<br>

I will need some time to digest all the great ideas and suggestions, but I will definately go for the best body and glass I can get.<br>

Anyone know anything about Daily Deal Digital? They have a D 300s with a Nikkor 105 2.8 Macro for about 1600. Their site is a bit sketchy on details, which makes me wonder. Sounds too good to be true.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I go with an iMac, I can free up about 800 additional for the camera stuff. If I go with a MacBook, I have the 2500. I'd love to have the flexibility of the MacBook but am torn between that and the camera stuff.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you plan to shoot RAW, it would be nice to get Nikon softwares to edit these files. Unfortunately the current Nikon softwares (the free Nikon Transfer and ViewNX) are not compatible with the newest Apple OS (10.6), which you will get when you buy a new computer. For the Intel Mac, you can run it in "Bootcamp" such that you can use the Windows version of the software.</p>

<p>BHphoto is an excellent safe place to purchase on-line. There may be a nice local store to shop at or even CostCo. For $2500.00 which is a lot of money you could get set up with a D90, a couple of essential lenses, flash, tripod, memory card and so on. Other things that will come up eventually is photoshop, external hard drive and a color calibration program for you monitor. I was just recently at Yosemite to take some pictures and I found that there are hoards of people taking thousands of pictures. Rapid firing scenic pictures sometimes with as much as $25,000 in multiple camera's hanging from their neck. A most interesting thing to see. The light was poor.</p>