The Best Affordable 4x5 neg. Scanner under 1000$

mad1

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a scanner to scan my 4x5 transparencies. I

found two different one, of two different brand and I was wondering

wich one offer the best quality ratio... here are these two babies:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389412&CatId=294

and

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=723854&CatId=294

Thanks for your advice!

Marc-Andre Dumas

I just got an Epson 4990. At 2400dpi I was getting 500MB files that produced very nice 16by20 prints. It takes some work to get detail out of the shadows, dust is always a problem, and more often than wanted newton rings. After looking into the options for under $1000 I am packing up the Epson 4990 and sending it back. I am going to wait until May when the new Epson Perfection V750 Pro ($799) is out.

http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comments/epson_perfection_v700_photo_and_epson_perfection_v750_m_pro_scanners/

My canon flatbed is the model 9950F, and it's very good, but the Canon software is weak. I got Silverfast AI for it, and that made a big improvement.

I want to know more about that Epson F-3200 scanner. It's not sold at B&H, so is it only sold in the UK? Why? Was it not successful? Something wrong wtih it?

This is Fantastic that some Guys/Girls like you tokk the time to read and to answer this post... The V750M pro is my way to go... Without you people, I was going to buy the 4990 that is probably over-priced in front of the v750m pro! Nice deal!!! Waiting my Taxe refound (or taxe income?!) (Retour d'impot in french) And I run to the store to buy it!!! hehehe, I'll be really happy to re-use my old, dusty, classic but so funny Graflex SpeedGraphic!! Thx!

Marc-Andre Dumas

I read this thread with high interest.

I considered buying a used drum-scanner occasionally, but was always uneasy about it, considering possible damages or maintainance costs...

I have the Nikon Coolscan 9000ED, which is great for my quite large number of 24x36mm and 6x6cm negatives, and my way to digital high-quality color images is the 6x9cm holder on the Sinar.

But the idea of being able to make good scans from 4x5 and 8x10 inch negatives and dias is still of great appeal for me.

And because I need a new flatbed-scanner of quality anyway you made me longing for the Epson v750m pro.

I hope very much someone will share his first impressions!

I was going to buy a 4990 until I compared its output with a Microtek i900.

My i900 scans 4x5, and other sizes, without the interference of glass. it is much sharper and will read a higher density than the 4990, or any Epson scanner I have seen.