"The Americans" 50 years later S/D shootout (in honor of Robert Frank)

jenna_g

50 years ago Robert Frank travelled across America, photographing in

cities and small towns, creating perhaps the most influential slice

of Americana in the history of photography. His work has definitely

moved me.

Anyway I had this crazy notion of packing my car and trying to do

the same thing, but I realized I would probably run out of money in

a week or two and be stuck in Tulsa. So then I came up with another

crazy idea. Since we have S/D shooters here from all over the

country, perhaps if enough people are interested we could cover our

own regions and create a body of work to share here (or some

website). For example maybe photogs in NYC could cover NYC, New

York state and perhaps one or two nearby states. Not a competition,

but a group project where we try to cover as much ground as possible

and show America as it is 50 years later.

Any interest? If so what states could you cover? I figure if

enough people are interested, we could compile the best images at

the end of the summer.

Sounds interesting, I would be interested in participating (Central Florida). Selected images from all submissions might make an interesting compilation for a self-published book. The rangefinderforum.com group published a compilation similar to this and it turned out very well. You can check it out at lulu.com if you are interested. Either way, a great idea.

- Randy

Randy: Just gauging interest, but with the quality of shooters here if we could cover enough ground I bet we could have an interesting compiliation.

edmo: Crossing the Hudson is that bad, huh!!!!

Thanks for the link Len. This idea is different. Shipping one camera across America could get kind of confusing, and I can't imagine anyone doing that here. Plus this wouldn't be about landscapes. Probably won't be enough interest though.

Andrew: You have a point! Of course that would probably be even more difficult to pull off. It's funny but even though he was an "outsider looking in" as you describe, his images don't feel "outside" to me if that makes any sense. America is such a huge place and most Americans will only experience a small part of it in their lifetimes. I doubt any serious photographer has the time or resources to do what Frank did, but collectively I bet something interesting could be done.

While I am not living there at the moment, two shots in The Americans

were taken in my home state of Nebraska. The building that the photo

on Page 137 ("Remember your Loved ones 69 cents) is still there in

Lincoln, but now I think it is a miami style pizza parlor or a

christian coffee shop...

"...It's funny but even though he was an "outsider looking in" as you describe, his images don't feel "outside" to me if that makes any sense..."

I think that is because Frank was being "honest" about America in his pics. He was showing the America that the PR boys (where ever, and who ever, they might be) didn't really want shown.

The idea is interesting, except you're right....at the price of gasoline today, you'de be broke in very short time. I personally had the same notion back the end of last year........since forgotten, didn't do it......yet. However I was planning on doing it via public transportation.........trains and busses to be exact. Albiet, the fact was that although the actual transportation wasn't outrageously expensive, the hotel accomadations were adding up rapidly in my early planning..................but, if a few people wanted to share the room expense, I might be up for it later this year.

On your actual idea, I could probably supply Philadelphia, NYC, and southern New Jersey right this moment if need be.

good idea. but how about "the planet" (or something like that) instead of "the americans" as some participants here are all over. the idea reminds me the photography book series "one day int helife of..." that exhibits tons photg.

btw, robert frank was broke while he was traveling across the land. i could be wrong but the cost in real dollar has gone down today so the project is easier to take place, imo.

Eric: There is a Vancouver, Washington!<br><br>

John: It would be interesting to know how many people and buildings he photographed are still around.<br><br>

Thomas: Yes his stuff is brutally honest which is probably why it's among my favorite work. <br>As for the idea? Yep it's probably unrealistic. Gasoline is absurd, but lodging would probably cost even more. During my college days I would stay in a tent and find public showers, but even that's becoming harder to do. Last fall I took a trip and slept in the back of my mini-SUV in Wal Mart parking lots several nights because I wouldn't pay the absurd rates for a crappy motel in touristy areas. Public transportation is an idea, but you are severely limited on where you can explore due to schedules. I've thought about Amtrak and Greyhound, but you will end up driving through too many interesting places. You're probably right, the only way one could realistically do this is to share expenses with several others.<br><br>

M: Frank actually recieved a grant although he likely ran out of money. I could be wrong, but I think the real dollar has actually declined since then.<br><br>

People not in the US: Not really wanting to leave anyone out, so if there are say enough shooters in Australia or Europe or Canada, perhaps something similar could be done there?<br><br>

If there is enough interest, I can cover New Mexico, eastern Arizona, far west Texas, and southern Colorado.

jenna: is it time to think to get a smaller car instead of a SUV or even a mini SUV? these monsters are the main reason for US to be so hungry for oil in the first place. :-)

and you might be right that frank got a grant money for the project but, as far as i know, grant money never really cover for any project. some grant money covers, in today's rate, $3000 for a three-year project. often a grant is a conceptual support, not a real mean. i haven't really know any grant money that covers food and gas for the trip. but may be it is just me that is very untalented or had a bad luck.

M: My SUV is actually smaller than most pickups or family sedans and it's far from a monster. I get as good mpg as I did with my old Nissan Stanza which was far from large. I could go smaller, but I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, it's almost paid off, and I often travel with my large dog.<br><br>As for Frank's grant money? Not sure how much he got or how long it lasted, but anything helps. Obviously from his work it wasn't wasted.