The Amazing AF Nikkor 75-300 4.5 5.6 Micro

Sandy Vongries

I enjoy bugs & flowers but wanted a bit more reach without extenders. This was listed on Roberts used Photo Pro as Excellent for under $100 delivered. Couldn't resist, and it arrived this morning, wasn't sure it would be there, but threw my D7200 kit in the car just in case. Had to make a supply run and there is usually wildlife along the way. The lens was not just Excellent, it was As New - looked completely untouched. Scouted on the 26 mile drive to town and saw a variety of bird life. Got groceries, mounted the lens and started home. The lens got a little workout - not VR, push pull zoom, and this more tele use than Macro, all hand held unsupported.

These are so superior to the old model 28-300 with VR and off a tripod, that it is just amazing. The last shot I'd guestimate at over 300 yards.1421732138_DSC_8314(1024x683).thumb.jpg.660978a247337d6df3849b4d8f0096c1.jpg 1020065082_DSC_8315(1024x683).thumb.jpg.15101283ab898d090ba26c5cfeb4bab4.jpg 1273706940_DSC_8316(1024x684).thumb.jpg.48463296af29fdc5de626d6bd5410443.jpg 1641640089_DSC_8317(1024x683).thumb.jpg.335f66ad5258fc4fc5fa053ea01a3233.jpg 2068045824_DSC_8321(1024x683).thumb.jpg.7e25f620b2c4e404bfb5ba9778f95244.jpg

BUT . . . my copy sticks on both ends of the zoom

They are soooo cheap! I bought the most expensive Roberts Camera Used had - $97 delivered. The funniest thing, I am a stickler on lens hoods, a hood for the lens cost me $26 - a little over a quarter the price of the lens. I have more experimenting to do when the weather improves, but I'm sold on this one.

I love shot 1 but shot 2 is fantastic, really flying out of the frame. Pretty fabulous bird life to see on a shop run, I was going to say local but for us 26 miles takes us in to the next part of the country. We are lucky though to be able to sit in the garden and have Red Kites flying above as an everyday experience. A recent re-introduction of these 4 foot wingspan birds has been the greatest success. Next is the attempt to bring the Eagle back to England, now pinned in its Scottish fastness, we have boars back in the local forest ,wolves next? I have bought a long lens for birding with my Nikon D7000 but I think you got the better deal, although your skill must be a big factor. Plus macro! I wonder how many other good older Nikon lenses we pass over because they do not have the latest specs, all the best, Charles.

I wonder how many other good older Nikon lenses we pass over because they do not have the latest specs,

There are a lot if your particular camera model will handle them, and the prices are very reasonable. I can suggest a few other favorites off line if you are interested. I do feel that the build quality of the older lenses is far superior to the current "Prosumer" models, at least. I have neither the means nor the need for the Pro Nikon lenses that range into many thousands of dollars.

All the raptors and birds in general very good as is all wildlife in this part of Montana. We do have (imported) wolves that move through - a bane to Ranchers, and purportedly the Grizzlies are working their way East toward us. There are also those who advocate free ranging Bison, a problem both for fences and safety. We'll have to see how that all works out. In any case, the pleasures of rural life far outweigh the inconveniences. BR Sandy

p.s. Thanks for your kind remarks on the photos!

• Like 1

One of the joys of this site is the sense of other-ness you get from some posts. I really enjoy hearing about places like Montana that I have read about in the books of the great James Lee Burke but will never visit . The wildlife sounds amazing.I agree with you about country living although I suspect our experiences are rather different. My village is 1 mile from a small town with supermarket, shops, churches, library, and 2 miles from the Roman city of Calleva Attrebatum, such is the diversity of this little island. Kites, buzzards, deer, badgers but no grizzlies! All the best, Charles.
  • Like 2