The Aires 35-V: A Foggy Day in Lenexa

<p >The 35-V is the last and best of the Aires rangefinders. It featured an on-board meter and a series of interchangeable lenses that mount in front of a “focal plane leaf shutter”. The Coral-H 45mm f/1.9 lens is brilliant and is the same lens found on the Aires 35-III. See my post here for a discussion of this fine lens: <a href="http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00TLFY">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00TLFY</a>. </p>

<p > <br>

This is a beautiful camera to hold and behold. You can feel the quality in your hands. It sports a Seiko leaf shutter with speeds from B,1-1/400. The on board Selenium meter is working and spot on accurate! That surprised me most of all.</p><div>00VaLm-213203584.jpg.a3c0bcc9097f25ccc0b31e88d0ebf7ca.jpg</div>

<p>Shooting with the camera you get the sense of old school solidness. The fit and finish seems excellent on my example. The film advance feels positive, if a little stiff, through its travel. The lever is not as beefy as earlier models, but my thumb liked it as well. The focus is smooth, easy and quick. The shutter release has good feel but a very slight mechanical/spring noise accompanies it when the shutter is fired. It has a very bright finder with good eye relief for eyeglass wearers. While a foggy day is not the best to show off the quality of a lens, that’s the weather we have now so….here are some pics on Fuji Superia 400 film.<br>

#1 Frozen Creek</p><div>00VaLr-213203884.jpg.54db171a1990d63e8c9a7d272c4e1361.jpg</div>

<p>The gift of a camera is special and this one is special to me. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to make pictures with such a fine machine. I just can't wait for the sun to come out now to see how she performs in better weather. The years of joy this camera will bring have only just begun. Thanks Clarence! <br>

#5 Old Barn in the Fog</p><div>00VaMI-213209584.jpg.c44952448775540a8fabaf50f7fec72e.jpg</div>

<p>Images are as good as I get with my 1954 Leica M3 with same age collapsible Summicron. I sold my 3 lens Aire outfit some years ago, before I bought the Leica. By the way even longer ago, I had an Aires Twin Lens Reflex with Nikkor lenses, that too is long gone, I kept my Rolleiflex ca 1939 Automat.<br>

Wonderful images from your equally superb Aires V in the capable hands of a skilled photgrapher! Thank you for sharing.</p>

<p>That is a nice camera Louis. And it looks like the lens performs admirably. I like the snow hoe also. <br /> Are the lenses easy to change? Also you said leaf/focal plane? both or which ? Just curious. <br /> My Speed Graphics have both sometimes, and sometimes not with a barrel lens.<br>

Oh, you said Focal Plane Leaf Shutter. Does this I assume means that the leaf shutter is near the focal plane then...</p>

<p>Absolutely beautiful, Louis! "Frozen Creek" looks all too familiar while "Old Hoe" is a wonderful picture, worthy of a frame and a spot on a wall. The camera is gorgeous and obviously performs quite well (with help from a master photographer), and looks like one I should add to my arsenal. Excellent series...thanks for posting these!</p>

Well like the others.. I'm very impressed. I like the Hoe shot and the Cemetery too! I hope you reply to SG, because I wanted to learn more about the camera, I guess I could look it up.. but hey talkin' about our cameras is what we do best here! The gift of a camera is a very special thing! I'm glad to see you're doing the right thing.. using it........... and I'm sure Clarence agrees!!

<p>Thank you all for the good feedback!<br>

<strong>SG and Chuck</strong> - Changing the lenses is a snap. They literally snap in and take a quarter turn to seat. A release button on the lens allows the process to reverse. The lenses have an aperture but no shutter between the elements. Instead, the leaf shutter is part of the camera. Focal Plane Leaf Shutter may not be entirely accurate as the shutter is not really at the focal plane but slightly in front of it. I guess "behind the lens leaf shutter" would be more accurate. It still maintains all the qualities of a leaf shutter-flash sync at all speeds, quiet operation, etc, but there is only one shutter to worry about. The shutter blades are exposed and easy to get to, from both sides, should they ever need cleaning.</p>