The Agiflex - The Camera I Daren't Use

<p >The Agiflex 3 came with three lenses, hoods, filters and a set of extension tubes. The seller said it was working, and it certainly seems OK. Even the slow speeds work! But I'm terrified to use it as I've read that these cameras, like the Reflex Korelle on which it was based, operate with a string or wire linking the film wind and shutter, and once this breaks or comes off it's pulleys, the camera can't be repaired. Or perhaps the third version is more robust than the first two?</p><div>00dNr6-557545884.jpg.405528bf18161c72f3b7f39697b2f269.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>The Agiflex models 1,2 and 3 were 6x6 rollfilm SLR's made by Aeronautical and General Instruments, Croydon, UK, who also made the Agimatic 35mm and Agifold roll film cameras. The Agiflex was developed from a wartime camera, as this company like many others had to quickly move into peacetime manufacture after the war. The third version, with a larger bayonet rather than screw lens mount, came out in 1954. It has a focal plane shutter and a removable bright waist level viewfinder with a condensing lens. No eye level finder was ever developed.</p>

<div>00dNr8-557545984.jpg.8af4b3ecd77ec9e146879ad99d7dfc04.jpg</div>

• Like 2

<p>The door below the shutter release conceals the PC flash sockets.</p>

<p >The three Agilux lenses, are the standard 80mm f2.8, and telephoto's 16cm and 24cm f5.5. No wide angle lens was ever produced. There are also two lens hoods with yellow filters, and a set of four extension tubes.</p><div>00dNr9-557546184.jpg.472da426869b5408c916c13b8112a74d.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>The price list from the Hire Purchase leaflet. Interestingly the 1950's price of the kit I bought was almost exactly what I paid for it in 2015. (Edit, I've photographed the wrong page, the one for the Agima and Agifold, I'll add the Agiflex page later)</p><div>00dNrI-557546884.jpg.585b03fa1e4dc777844e520b714dc9f9.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p >In case I'm accused of cowardice for not putting a film through it. I taped the 80mm lens rather precariously to the front if my Sony Alpha 900 and took a few shots around my garden, showing what the lens is capable of, at least in the central area.</p><div>00dNrL-557547284.jpg.a41beb9e090cfa0292f07decccf7b8c8.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Terrific post, <strong>John</strong>, on a camera I'll probably never see in the flesh. I have a couple of Agifolds and an Agimatic, but the Agiflex is as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth, downunder. You're extraordinarily luck to find such a complete kit in such great order, and I understand your reluctance to risk immobilising the camera. It's always a hard choice with an old, seemingly-irreparable camera, but many thanks for showing us this old gem in such a competent fashion.</p>
  • Like 1

<p>Awesome post - real pleasure and lots learned - especially with the bonus material of the brochure! I can't blame you at all for the reluctance to use it, and I am one of those people who usually espouses a philosophy that cameras are meant to be used, cars are meant to be driven, etc. But in this case... yup, I am with you. I'd chicken out too - and its truly too bad, I bet its a pleasure to use and capable of wonderful work. Thank you so much for sharing it!</p>
  • Like 1

<p>C'mon, don't be afraid. At least run a roll through it. There's no such thing as a camera that can't be repaired. You may not be able to do it but someone can. By the same token, if you're never going to use it, its doomed to live it out its existence as a shelf queen, so who cares if it breaks? </p>
  • Like 1

<p>You know when I read Marco's response it got me thinking... right now its kind of a Schrodinger's cat of a camera, in a way its as good as broken since it "can't" be used so it kind of is and isn't... it exists in a weird limbo lol I guess if you are looking at it as an investment and keeping an eye to its value as a commodity then perhaps the caution is justified but otherwise...<br>

This is all good and well because its your camera of course, I am still inclined to think that logic might take a back seat to a fear of breaking it if it was my camera... anyway - its a nice problem to have I suppose and in no way detracts from the enjoyment and appreciation for your presentation of this rare beast.</p>

• Like 1

<p>Thanks to all for the comments, hmm that's two for, two against and one kind of in both camps. I've gone through the same process in my head and come out against using it, but who knows? If I do, I'll certainly share the results.</p>

<p>Some reassurance as to the mechanical superiority of the third Agiflex model might help .. </p>

• Like 1

Just curious. I can understand repairing a camera can be difficult, complicated, tedious, and very labor intensive but it

seems that that anything that has been assembled can be reassembled. Why would this camera be unrepairable? Not

trying to be facetious, just curious.

• Like 1

<p>Well I've found various references on the internet by people attempting this repair, but none who seem to have succeeded, for example http://www.rangefinderforum.com/classics/forum/messages/2/25591.html?1351264496</p>

<p>Also I've seen a number of Agiflexes on Ebay for spares or repair, referring to the wire problem.</p>

<p>Actually I've got to talk to a camera repairer during the next few days about something else, and I'll get his opinion about the Agiflex and let you know what he says.</p>

• Like 1

<p>Hi, John congratulations on that fine acquisition. I have an interest in AGI stuff too, and inter alia have all three of the Agiflexes with standard lenses, plus a 180mm F5.5 accessory lens plus the close-up gizmos. I also have a prewar Reflex Korelle. The US seller of the Korelle described it as 'non-functioning', but was honest enough to advise not to bother with getting the cable problem sorted out because it would inevitably just happen again. My understanding with the post-war Agiflexes is that they're much more reliable in that department, especially the Agiflex 3. However, their focal plane shutters invariably seem to need a service, don't they? (Pete In Perth)</p>
  • Like 1

<p>John, I understand your caution - I had a Reflex Korelle and the shutter cable tensioning thing snapped as per your fears. I had a go at a repair but it was beyond me. What was annoying was that this appeared to be the only weak link in the design as the rest worked perfectly. Sold it for spares.</p>
  • Like 1