The $400 Alpha 3000

phule

<p>One of the more interesting points in the history of the DSLR was Canon's release of the Digital Rebel (300D) at the sub-$1000 price point. It provided an opportunity for many photographers (new and existing) to enter digital photography.</p>

<p>Sony appears to be making a similar move by releasing the new <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/sony-alpha-a3000/">mirrorless Alpha 3000</a> at $400. <br>

E-mount, 20.1MP APS-C sensor, 18-55mm OSS kit lens, 1080i for video, and stereo on-board mic.</p>

<p>Without a doubt it is built to this price point. A 230K resolution LCD and low-resolution EVF and even a plastic molded (rather than rubber) eyepiece. </p>

<p>But the closest offering from Canon is the $450 T3 with a 12.2MP sensor and 720 video (featuring a very lack-luster live-view AF) a 230K screen, and mono sound. Nikon does a bit better at the same price point with the D3100 at 14.2MP, 1080p video but the same low-rez 230K screen and mono sound. <br>

The current sale on the Panasonic G5 is the closest mirrorless offering and provides a very compelling feature set for $400, but also has the smaller m4/3rds sensor. </p>

<p>I know the low-end may not interest a lot of established photographers, but this seems like a move that could compel others to offer some good discounts during the holiday sales season. </p>

<p>Oh and apparently there are a <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/27/sony-announces-zeiss-16-70mm-f4-oss-zoom-18-105mm-f4-g-power-zoom-and-black-version-50mm-f1-8-e-moun">couple cool lenses</a>. :) </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Excerpt from engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/sony-alpha-a3000/</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sony's managed to duplicate mid-range DSLR functionality in its <a href="http://www.engadget.com/tag/NEX">NEX series</a> of mirrorless cameras, but while experienced photographers recognize the value of such a device, amateurs looking to step up from a point-and-shoot often opt for a full-size DSLR. The reason, according to Sony reps, is that these users simply assume that a larger camera with a familiar design offers better image quality and performance. So, to suit these misinformed customers, Sony's created a mirrorless camera that <em>looks</em> like a <a href="http://www.engadget.com/tag/DSLR/">DSLR</a>, but offers the feature set -- and price tag -- of an entry-level compact ILC.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I might be interested - and willing to pay a bit more - for a model that included in-body image stabilization. Reportedly Sony has licensed the 5-Axis stabilization tech from Olympus, so maybe it'll turn up soon in another Sony mirrorless model.</p>

<p>I don't care one way or another about the so-called faux SLR design. The body needs to accommodate the EVF somewhere. At least the sloped hump is less likely to suffer bag-snag than the blocky EVF on the Nikon V1, one of my lesser gripes about the V1.</p>

<p>[[The reason, according to Sony reps, is that these users simply assume that a larger camera with a familiar design offers better image quality and performance.]]</p>

<p>The same could be said of the entire superzoom category. It's a spurious argument. Consumers buy for a variety of reasons but price is quite compelling. </p>

$400 with the lens is very compelling. They might be on to something here. But it looks like they didn't use the hybrid AF?

Looks like it's got an EVF with adjustable diopter and a hot shoe. If they made one with the better AF and two control

wheels they'd almost have a miniature A99. They could kit it with either of the new f/4 zooms and sell it on the high end.

Now what are they trying to do, introducing two overlapping f/4 zooms on the same day...

<p>Assuming at $400 it has an EVF eyelevel finder and takes the same mount as the Sony Nex 5, the camera should be a hit! Can anyone verify that the Nex and this new Alpha uses the same body mount? I ask in that I'd like to use M mount lenses using currently available aftermarket adapters.</p>

<p>[[Can anyone verify that the Nex and this new Alpha uses the same body mount?]]<br>

From my initial link above:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Internally, it's very similar to the NEX-3N, featuring a 20.1-megapixel APS-C sensor and E-mount lens compatibility.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>From Dpreview:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sony's latest interchangeable lens camera may look like an SLR, but underneath the hood it's all NEX. The Sony A3000 offers a 20.1 megapixel APS-C sensor, a built-in electronic viewfinder, full HD video and a Sony E-mount for interchangeable lenses<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/27/sony-introduces-slr-esque-a3000-a-mirrorless-camera-for-400?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p>Lex, good point about the image stabilization. Being a Sony, I just assumed it would have Steady Shot sensor shift image stabilization. Missing that would be a deal breaker for me. Otherwise a really interesting product.<br>

If you throw a Metabones Speed Booster on it, this could even be very interesting for Nikon and Canon users.</p>

<p>It is a nice move; each time I try a NEX (3/5) in a shop, it's mostly the handling I simply don't like. Too little grip on the body with a lens larger than pancake. Might be my size of hands (largish, but not exceptionally so), but it's just not really working for me - too fiddly. Now, whether Sony did the faux-SLR look to lure people into considering this camera, I really can't care - it would solve the handling issue.<br>

So, maybe rather than just being an interesting attack on the low end on the market, I think it adds something the NEX line needed to gain traction: an alternative body shape.</p>

<p>I had the same impression as Wouter when I handled the NEX models. I don't mind small cameras, but something about the handling felt off. And the lack of any in-body stabilization would put me off most cameras without an eye level finder, even with the advantages of the APS-C sensor. The eye level finder would at least put the camera in an ergonomically more stable position where I can hold the camera steadily enough to enjoy the benefits of the larger sensor. Otherwise I'd just have higher resolution, less noisy, but blurry photos.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Rob, I checked the specs on a few of the NEX cameras and no, they don't have IS. That comes as a surprise to me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My feeling was that this was done to differentiate the NEX line from the alpha line. The E mount is wide enough to host a FF sensor, so it should be possible to add sensor based IS in the future (it requires a wider mount) - not sure if it is possible to add sensor IS to a FF E-mount camera though.</p>

<p>It is puzzling to me why only Olympus (and now Panasonic) have provided IS in their MILCs. There was the Pentax K-01 too, I guess, but all the other main MILC manufacturers: Fuji, Sony, Samsung seem to shy away from offering this feature. Makes no sense to me. Sony clearly has the technology. I expect to see this feature creeping into the NEX line when they will start discontinuing support for their alpha mount.</p>

<p>I think we're missing the point to this camera. Sony simply stuck a NEX in a plastic body to resemble an SLR so that consumers who are convinced that only SLRs can produce nice images will buy one. It'll probably sell. This reminds me of an exchange at a wedding a long time ago. I was shooting with a Canon F1 when a man came up to me and said "I've got to get one of those cameras." I asked why, and he said "I've been told that cameras with that bump on the top (the prism) can shoot pictures in the dark."</p>

<p>This isn't an Alpha, and can only use Alpha mount lenses with a kludgy adapter. I can't wait for someone to order this thing with an Alpha lens and then try to mount it. Very confusing camera from Sony, but I guess they wanted to capitalize on consumer ignorance.</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>I'm sure that consumer perception of a SLR shaped camera being better plays into the decision to produce this camera. And honestly, they would be foolish not to capitalize on it. But the shape of the body is hardly a purely aesthetic matter. It plays a large roll in it's handling. Many people are put off by the NEX cameras ergonomics, myself included. You could just as easily say this is a scaled down A58. It shares the same sensor and image processor, which many would consider to be the heart of a digital camera.<br>

Whether the A in A-mount stands for Alpha or not is unclear as Minolta developed it in tandem with the Maxxum line of AF film SLRs. It may stand for Auto-focus. None the less I agree, naming it an Alpha probably wasn't good idea. It will confuse people not familiar with Sony's products.</p>