That's it for Canon!

charles_lipton

Well.. just got off the phone with Canon Product Support. The tech I spoke

with said as of Monday August 20th all new products have been released. So,

what we got were two new bodies, a few new printers, and NO NEW LENSES!

grrrrr..... and I was so hoping for an upgraded 100-400mm. Oh well!

With luck photo.net might be able to pry one out of Canon's hands before they hit the street in volume. It's not easy to do that though. Typically they only have a few "loaner" cameras, and I'm sure they have a waiting list of reviewers already in place. It doesn't look like they lent out any pre-production samples on this one.

If we get a 40D I'd guess that Philip will probably review it if he's around, or if he's busy I'd probably take a look at it.

Given Canon's track record and the performance of earlier models, from the specs it looks like a winner, especially if you are upgrading from a 10D. If you can afford it, that upgrade seems like a no-brainer. Not that your images will instantly get 200% better, it's just likely to be a nicer camera to use and there should be a noticable improvement in the quality of large prints going from 6 to 10MP, as well as a general speed up of camera operation from the 10D to the 40D. You get less of a "bang for your buck" upgrading from a 20D or 30D, but I'm sure there will be a significant fraction of 20/30D users who think it's worthwhile.

<p>Before upgrading from my 10D, I waiting for an update to the 5D. ( Unless the 10D shutter croaks first ) I really miss wide angle!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It might not be all we see from Canon this year if you put any stock the quote by Canon's head of consumer imaging:</p>

<p><em>Also unaffected by today's launch - and getting old by Canon standards, having been around for two years - is the semi-pro EOS 5D.<br />But amazingly, these gaps may possibly still be filled before Christmas; Alessandro Stanzani, the company's head of consumer imaging said, "We still have four months to go until the end of the year, so who knows what's coming next"<br />

</em></p>

<p>Found here:<br />

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/123010/canon-breaks-digital-camera-barriers-with-new-models.html<br />

</p>

"My plan is to use the 5D for everything 135mm and below and the 40D for 100mm and

above. Now if only I can convince the wife of that !"

Don't say anything. My wife can't tell a 20D from an Elan so no worries for me. I just have to

be careful with the big white lenses.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I would seriously bet AGAINST a 5D replacement before PMA in spring. Odds would be for a 5D replacement in spring, followed by a XTi replacement in late summer.

I too found the lens replacements a both telling and underwhelming. I mean. . who wants those lenses? Particularly the 14/2.8L. At a list over two GRAND? hahahah.

I felt similarly underwhelmed by the 50/1.2 released in the Spring. A 1/3 of a stop over the 50/1.4 for a $1500 or so price premium? hahahahaha. So in the last 18 monthes, we see a new 85, a new 50, and now a new 14 prime. Cool. Canon is committed to primes. The only problem is that these are ridiculously priced "L" lenses. It almost makes me want to buy the 24/1.4L before that lens is "updated". I guess getting a 24/2.8 USM prime for under $500 is unthinkable at this point.

Now, the 18-55/IS and 55-200/IS are totally boring: But are seriously and clearly market driven. As has been stated in other threads, Canon REALLY needs the XTi and 40D to have in-body stabilization to match competitors offerings. BUT such a move would be politically hard to do.

In-body stabilization would be a signal that it is FOLLOWING and not LEADING the market. It would also make all the buyers of the 17-55/IS and other non-telephoto IS lenses seem like chumps. So instead. . .release two cheap IS lenses.

One would LIKE to think that the two new IS are loss leaders. I.e., the profit margin on these lenses is less than Canon typically accepts. Another possibility is that a $50-100 price premium for IS still represents a good profit margin for Canon. Which of course implies that the 70-200/4L-IS (which is about $500 higher in price than the non-IS version) is VERY profitable.

i honestly don't know what the complaining is about...

what lenses do you really want? be realistic. Is there something you need that is not already covered? If you've had the 50 or 85 1.2's in your hand you can plainly see they are not "just a 1/3 stop better" than their ancestors...they are serious super fast focusing tools.

They truly do have most practical lenses covered...I'd love to see an updated 70 - 300 with the new IS and less drift...maybe a 4.5 top instead of 5.6....

Don't know about you, Joseph, but *I* want a TS-E 10-1000mm f/1.0L IS that weighs 1

pound and costs $100. And it better be razor sharp and distortion free at all focal lengths

and apertures! That MTF chart had better have all lines at or above a 9 all the way across.

Oh, and didn't I mention? I'd also like a pony to go with it....

Cheers,

b&

I have read the castleman reviews for both the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2. After reading those reviews, I do not find myself reaching for the credit card. The 85/1.2 is awesome optically. . but is still to slow (AF speed wise) to replace my 85/1.8 in all cases. The 50/1.2 did not overawe me in terms of image quality.

Now. . .a new 100-400/4L-IS or maybe a 200-400/4L-IS would bring out my credit card. The push-pull action of the 100-400/4L-IS is simply not for me.

In terms of other lenses. . I am pretty happy with the Canon lineup. I would like to see an EF version of the 10-22, but beyond that I am content with the zooms.

I like the F2 prosumer primes, but I guess the time for those is past. The 24/2.8, 28/1.8, 35/2 and 50/1.4 all could use USM drive. The 24/2.8 could stand to be sharper. But I suppose the market for those lenses is really weak.

I agree with most of Jim Larson's post. About the only lenses I'd be interested in adding to my kit now are a 50/1.x with true ring USM, a 200-400/4L IS (I may eventually settle for the 300/4L IS, instead) and the 135/2L (IS would nice here, too).

I used to want the 28/1.8 before I went full frame, but was put off by user reviews, given its price. I'm sure when Jim mentioned the 28/1.8 needing USM, he meant the 28/2.8, instead (the f/1.8 version already has USM).

I agree with Jason Hall. Tech support isnt going to tell any of us anything about new products. They probably dont know anything if there is. I work at the Mercedes Plant in Alabama and that would be like the Parts department at the Dealership nowing about the Hybrid and new Diesel stuff coming out. I was driving around in prototype ML's before the dealer even knew that the old one was going away. Those guys are completely clueless when it come to that side of Canon.

Jon... I would also love to see a 200-400mm f/4 IS but if it's anything like Nikon's it will weigh a ton, probably use 84mm filters and cost more than $5000. All I'm asking for is a revised edition 1-4L with the newest IS and maybe a lens tweek with some newer lens chemistry.....and the price to remain about the same. Or how about a totally new lens... like a 200-500 f/4.5-5.6 IS...for under $1600. I'd have my VISA out yesterday for that one.

Anyway.... CANON... ARE YOU LISTENING?