That "fiesty bunch of guys $5000 camera" thing...your chance to change it

<p>Yeah, yeah. Phil's joke was a bad one and nobody liked it. So it's finally going to get changed.</p>

<p>What do you want it to be? Needs to be a short, 1-2 sentence description. Here's what I was going to go with:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Leica M, LTM, and R systems along with any other rangefinder camera out there. MF and LF rangefinders would be on topic, but might be best asked in the MF or LF forums.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But I figured since I was already getting flack for something that was done years ago by someone else, I might as well stay in the flack-pile and ask for opinions.</p>

<p>Here's your chance. Be quick about it. This file is a pain to edit and I'm not going to do it over and over.</p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"Leica and Rangefinders Forum: Discussing rangefinder cameras and lenses and exhibiting the photos they take. Leica M and LTM cameras, lenses, and accessories are the main focus, but discussion of non-Leica, medium-format, and other rangefinders as well as non-rangefinder Leicas is also welcome."</p>

<p>I vote for Josh's version, since it is not quite so "Leica-centric".</p>

<p>I figure I get a vote here because of my super rare golden and rosewood Swedish military Leica that somehow made it to Kiev.</p>

<p>I confess that I liked Phil's version, seemed to counter the tendency of all of us to get too serious about subjects that should be fun. So it's not exactly true that "nobody" liked it, but then again......</p>

<p>Why would you put medium format range finder cameras in medium format - simply because of the film size? There's more in common in using a MF range finder with using 35mm format range finder than with a MF SLR. Having used MF range finders for nearly 30 years, I can tell you from first hand use, they have NOTHING in common with my other medium format camera (Hasselblad) - other than film size.</p>

<p>Also, where do you see the S2 system going when it becomes available later this year - Leica or medium format?</p>

<p><strong>I wouldn't change it at all. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it's still the truth!</strong></p>

<p>"Leica and rangefinder forum. Feel free to lurk all you want, but posting a question will be akin to your skating in roller derby without pads or helmet. Have a nice day, but have it in some other place."</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why would you put medium format range finder cameras in medium format - simply because of the film size? There's more in common in using a MF range finder with using 35mm format range finder than with a MF SLR.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's why I said "might" in my sample. I'm trying to not be hard and fast here without being nitpicky. We just need a nice general statement. Nobody kicks <a href="../medium-format-photography-forum/?category=Mamiya+7+and+6">Mamiya 7 questions</a> out of the MF forum. Some questions just work better some places. It isn't always about what is the best organization, neither is better in this case for organization, sometimes it's about where a user can find the best answers to their question. And the reality is that someone may find more people using a MF/LF RF on the MF or LF forums. As evidenced by the 700+ Mamiya 6/7 posts linked above.</p>

<p>S2 could go any number of places, digital, Leica, MF. Probably not LF as that is mostly old school LF gear. When they talk didigtal, it's digital backs.</p>

<p>I think the problem was that things weren't consistent. if every forum had been given funny/teasing descriptions, it would have been a clever theme. But it was inconsistent and so some people felt crapped upon.</p>

<p>No problem posting MF rangefinder questions in the Leica and Rangefinder or the Medium Format forum. The final determinant will be the quality of the forum exchanges.<br>

Most of the Mamiya 6 and 7 discussions currently take place on the Medium Format forum. This might change in the future if more MF/LF RF users find useful exchanges here.</p>

<p>"That 'feisty bunch of guys $5000 camera' thing... your chance to change it"<br>

<br>

It's about bloody time! A more accurate statement would read something like -<br>

"A feisty bunch whose overpriced cameras outperform their photographic abilities..."<br>

<br>

All joking aside, I like Ricky's version too... </p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...” 

– Yogi Berra

<blockquote>

<p>I think the problem was that things weren't consistent. if every forum had been given funny/teasing descriptions, it would have been a clever theme.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is a more complicated, but more entertaining, option then. Make all of the descriptions like the old Leica/RF one.</p>

<p>Canon EOS - a bunch of guys* like Capt Ahab, still looking for Moby Dick...<br /> Nikon - a bunch of guys wondering what happened after 1986<br /> Canon FD - A bunch of guys for whom nothing has happened after 1986</p>

<p>and so on.</p>

<p>*I include our women participants as being one of the guys, of course.</p>

<p>I thought about it JDM, but I just decided that it wasn't worth the battles I would have to fight over it with people who didn't get it. It's one thing to put up with something silly that has been here for years, it's another to open up a new can of worms when I could be working on more important projects.</p>

<p>So I'm going to save my cleverness for other stuff.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This file is a pain to edit and I'm not going to do it over and over.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oops, sorry about that one, I sure hope it wasn't my single post in the other thread that ignited all this " fiesty bunch of guys $5000 camera" thing changing. I just thought it was too funny in context of the thread, being discussed in a forum to which the summarized description was laughing in the face of both sides that where discussing to such ' dramatic heights ' in that thread. To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all, even if I would post here a lot... I'm fiesty, I'm a guy, I have a 5000$ camera and I wonder constantly about what makes a good photo !</p>