Thanks to Nikon Service!

David Hoyle

I recently had a brain fart where I broke the battery door off my D7500.

Fortunately the following week I was near the Nikon service center in Mississauga , Ontario.

I stopped by and a service person came out to help me. I expected to leave the camera for the day. The service girl went in the back to see if they had a door. She came back with 2. Showed me how to replace it and then handed me the second new door. I asked how much and she said. Free.

Thanks so much for the great support!

• Like 3

I've had mixed results from Nikon UK with that. I've turned up with an F5 with missing 10-pin and PC sync covers and they've just given them to me, but I've also asked whether I could buy a hot shoe cover (BS-1) from them and just got met with "that's a commercial item" and a blank stare.

To be fair, it's a ridiculously expensive tiny piece of plastic to buy from obvious sources (although now I've googled for the part number, I had no idea the ASC-02 was a thing; why it's a thing, given that it seems to look stupid even on the Df, is a mystery for the ages). But I was at least offering to buy it as part of an existing camera service, not asking for a freebie.

Mostly they've done well by me, so I'm not going to bad mouth them here - I just don't always rely on them going the extra mile.

I've had mixed results from Nikon UK with that. I've turned up with an F5 with missing 10-pin and PC sync covers and they've just given them to me, but I've also asked whether I could buy a hot shoe cover (BS-1) from them and just got met with "that's a commercial item" and a blank stare.

To be fair, it's a ridiculously expensive tiny piece of plastic to buy from obvious sources (although now I've googled for the part number, I had no idea the ASC-02 was a thing; why it's a thing, given that it seems to look stupid even on the Df, is a mystery for the ages). But I was at least offering to buy it as part of an existing camera service, not asking for a freebie.

Mostly they've done well by me, so I'm not going to bad mouth them here - I just don't always rely on them going the extra mile.

I removed the hot shoe cover as soon as I got the Df. My F5 didn't come with the hot shoe cover and I bought it new. I never remove the flash sync port cover. I use the AS-10 adapter on the hot shoe for that.

Interesting - I didn't know the F5 didn't have a hot shoe cover (mine was bought very used). The D800 and D700 had one, I believe; the D810 and D850 not so much. I believe there are reports that the hot shoe is a slightly weak point in the D850's weather sealing (unless I'm confusing reports). I'd rather have a cover on just in case - although not a leather and gold one!

I've taken gear to them since the late 90s, both old and new, and the techs have always been generous and helpful. Accessing them is now more complicated since techs no longer staff the service counter where turnover seems high. Fujifilm Canada's service is as personal as Nikon Canada's once was. No complaints.

I think Nikon service is good in that respect. When I bought my used F3HP and the MD-4 back in 2005 I wrote to Nikon asking to buy the caps for the MD and the flash sync. They just sent them to me no charge.

That's interesting both that they had the parts in stock, and that they gave it to you.

By "motor drive cover" do you mean the little thing that looks like a battery door but covers where the rewind fork goes into the bottom of the camera? If so, that's reliably a $15-20 Ebay part these days. One long-gone local camera store, even back when the F3 was still reasonably current, got $40 for it. To be fair, though, I'll often come across stuff at my local used haunt that has the price stickers from that store on it. When I say "Schumann's wanted $xx for it" the local shop will usually say "That means it was probably worth(some amount around half the number I said) when it was new."

In any case, as a tip for anyone buying an F3 with MD-4 attached-check the very end of the battery tray for the MD-4 and see if the cap is tucked in there. That was the "official" Nikon designed storage space for it, and it's easy to miss if you don't know to look there. I know you probably know this, BeBu, but I'm mentioning that for anyone else. When I got my first F3, I actually bought a cap before realizing that I had it all along.

That's interesting both that they had the parts in stock, and that they gave it to you.

By "motor drive cover" do you mean the little thing that looks like a battery door but covers where the rewind fork goes into the bottom of the camera? If so, that's reliably a $15-20 Ebay part these days. One long-gone local camera store, even back when the F3 was still reasonably current, got $40 for it. To be fair, though, I'll often come across stuff at my local used haunt that has the price stickers from that store on it. When I say "Schumann's wanted $xx for it" the local shop will usually say "That means it was probably worth(some amount around half the number I said) when it was new."

In any case, as a tip for anyone buying an F3 with MD-4 attached-check the very end of the battery tray for the MD-4 and see if the cap is tucked in there. That was the "official" Nikon designed storage space for it, and it's easy to miss if you don't know to look there. I know you probably know this, BeBu, but I'm mentioning that for anyone else. When I got my first F3, I actually bought a cap before realizing that I had it all along.

No it's the plastic cover like the one used to cover the flash PC socket. There are 2 of them on the MD-4 but of different size.