TFCD opinion

<p> I have searched the forums looking for some common practice ideas for TFCD, and would like to get other photographers opinions. I have a group TFCD shoot that I am going to be doing on Sunday.</p>

<p> My plan is to offer the models that I work with 5-8 8x10 cropped & retouched digital images. Then along with that a web sized copy of the image with logo in a corner for them to display on their site. The model will be allowed to choose the shots she wants from my site, and then I will edit them. If after they have made their picks and the retouching has occurred they decide that there are a few more that they would like they will have the option to order prints from my site or purchase a digital download all for a fee of course.</p>

<p> Comparing other posts I think that I have put together a pretty good offer. But since this will be my first TFCD shoot and I am fairly new to this type of work I was hoping that I could get some feedback.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There isn't really a "standard;" you need to negotiate your terms with the models you work with.</p>

<p>Some models expect a copy of everything you shoot. Some are happy with a few prints for their book. When I was shooting models, I usually agreed to give them one print per hour of time spent shooting. If it was someone who did a great job for me, I was happy to give more (for free) in order to build good relationships.</p>

<p>Before we get into what you offer...<br>

Do not let them select just anything. The images you provide them to choose from need to be ones that you world to see with your name on them. Only let show your best of the best.<br>

Trust me, when you let a model pick 5, she'll want at least 7 (or more). I personally think a TFCD should be websized graphics off all your best of the best, which means no more then 5. Offer to give her 1 enlarged file. All web files should be watermarked with your logo.<br>

Most new models think more is better. Gues what, more is just more. No model should want more then 1 or 2 images from one photographer in their portfolio any way, at least from one shoot. In fashion its about quality, not quantity.<br>

No matter what you do, make sure you take the time to explain what every expects to get out of the session BEFORE the shoot. This should have been thought out before you even set the date. At this point I hope she's happy with what you are offering.</p>

<p>There are standard guidelins: as Jon said, normally the photographer get's "throw away" rights. TFP implies that anything you will use, they get a copy of in some form. And of course TFP means there is no money changing hands, though some people in my area don't understand that aspect :-/</p>

<p>I personally don't offer any prints for free, but in my agreement they have the option of purchasing them at $10/sheet (8x10 = 1 sheet, 2x 5x7's = 1 sheet, etc). I generally give 5-20 digital images per shoot (2-3 hours) depending on the success of the shoot. Each of these are 800 pixels at the long dimension of the image-- though sometimes 700 if they tell me it's for MySpace, as MySpace will resize to 700 wide, and they do a very crappy job of resizing.</p>

<p>I do watermark my images, but note that watermarking is invisible (or near) by normal means. My signature normally aren't on the images, but I require the model to give me credit when posting. All this is spelled out in the TFP Agreement.</p>

<p>Just make sure you aren't so "fair" as to set a precident that the models feel they'll get the same from any other photographer in the area.</p>

<p>Let me start out by saying thanks for the input so far. And the offer that I have presented above is not in concrete. I tried to take some of the best practices I noticed from others and put together an offer that I thought was a good one. I'll see if I can find a couple photographers in the area that will share with me what they do for TFCD.</p>

<p> Now, as far as letting the model pick. My plan is to comb through the images after the shoot and throw away anything that I'm not happy with and would not want anyone else to see. They are not going to get to pick from everything that is shot. I look at it this way. Once I throw the image away in post production it is like the image was never taken. They don't know what I have until I show them. So in this respect I don't mind letting the models pick which images they would like.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And of course TFP means there is no money changing hands, though some people in my area don't understand that aspect :-/</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't plan on charging anything. The only time there would be a charge is if the model would like to purchase prints through me or a digital copy of the original. Other than that there is no charge.</p>

<p>In my Model Mayhem profile page and in my model release I have added this:</p>

<p>1) I <strong>never</strong> release "ALL" of the photographs, I will select the best ones. <br /><br />2) I <strong>never</strong> release my RAW Files because they are unedited photographs. <br /><br />3) I will have all models <strong>sign</strong> a model release form for each photo shoot we do. You can (should) ask for a copy to be email to you before the photo shoot. <br /><br />4) Models/MUAs/Stylists will get all the photos I post on my website and those are the best ones. I take about <strong>one - two weeks</strong> to get the photos posted on my website. I have a day job so that is reason it takes at least a week or two. <br /><br />I will not let the model's pick the photos them want and the photos are not sized to prints only web. I will give them one photo sized for the print if they ask but most are just happy to get photos and they can pick which ones they can post on the web. I used to create the photos sized for prints but very few are not willing to spend the extra money for a print os I stopped.</p>

<p>But when it comes to the photos for MUAs/Hair Stylists/Wardrobe Stylists, I will pick the photos I think they need and let them select the photos the want. I will even shoot some for that I know they can use. </p>

<p>The reason for this, the chances of working again with MUAs/Hair Stylists/Wardrobe Stylists are far greater than the models and I will go out of my way to make sure my working relations are a happy and productive one with these people. The model will be happy just getting one photo to use in her port instead of a number of photos she will not really be able to use.</p>

<p>Bill</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Usually, you just give them a CD with all the pictures. Anything more it's up to you. <br>

In my case, I would pick the best 5-10 pictures (depending on the type of shoot) and send them the shot ID numbers over email. If they agreed I'd then. I'd give them ready-to-print TIFFs and the equivalent web sized files.</p>

<p>There is no set way of doing it. It's all up to you and the model. BTW, I only did this with ONE model at a time, otherwise it would be too time consuming to edit pictures for a lot of people.</p>

<p>Well the shoot is over and done. What a relief....</p>

<p><strong>Final agreement:</strong> 5 print ready 8x10 digital copies , and 5 digital web sized images w/photographer mark in lower corner. After I weed out all the images that I don't like I will be posting them online for them to choose the ones that they want. And then I'm going to send a final hard copy on CD to them in the mail.</p>

<p>One model was actually relieved to know that she was not going to have to sort through all the images and have to try and figure out which ones were the best of the best. She was also excited that I was going to crop the images to what ever she needed.</p>

<p>So thanks for all the input. It was helpful.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I do lots of tfcd (well now they just get a folder on my website where they can download the shots they like. I dont charge because I sell the pics online so over the long run I'll make money.I usually give them about 30-60 shots for their time and I get them to sign a model release.<br>

www.felixtm.com</p>

<p>most people on there are tfcd non-models, just regular people i found on craigslist.</p>