Test Shots on Fed 2

I bought this Fed 2 last week from Ukraine on Ebay from a seller who does not sell many cameras. The price was

US$12. They send it by Registered Post for $15. It arrived in good time. The Germans by DHL charge over $35 for

postage!

This is an old one, possibly 1957, if the number on the body is a correct indicator. Had to do all the works of

cleaning, lubrication and tension adjustments. They had painted a pretty lady’s picture on the back; [that seems

to have been fashionable in a season in the USSR]; removed it with household ammonia and detergent, Then polished

the vulcanite covering with KIWI shoe wax and coconut oil. Works very smoothly now.

Has a larger wind-on knob than Zorki 4. So less torque is needed to advance the film. The body is slightly

smaller than that of Zorki 4; feels nice in the palm. Actually, one could shoot pictures using just the right

hand with this camera. Tough, if you are left-handed!

Switching from the SLRs I kept running my finger over the viewfinder. Had to remind myself often to the

discipline of the RF. Made some test shots with the Nova Silver Plus film 125ASA. It was good day light, bright

and shadowy scenes. Did not use any meter. Here are a few samples.<div>00VkmS-219965684.jpg.5a3d1d9897c08aff279b36402d4c5caa.jpg</div>

Local fabricators do good business. We can get many items custom made. I got my Monopod and many other items fabricated in the neighborhood. Ah! Finally, I managed to finish after many interruptions. Hope you like the pictures. I find the Fed 2 a very handy simple camera. It is built to be sturdy; the small size and proportions make it handy and elegant. Thanks for viewing and your comments. Regards, sp.

<p>Thanks Rick; it has been a very long time since I handled a Fed 2, more than 40 years! Just the first roll now. Thanks Gene; I have still not learned to work with the scanner. Often I find that if I increase the contrast to "auto-levels" then a whole lot of details get Blacked out. So I am trying to balance between blanching out with the highlights and Blacking out with the low-lights. I would appreciate if you have any suggestions. An old timer suggested to try compose the frame to include only 4 or 5 basic gray tones. According to him most films cannot handle beyond that.</p>

<p>I have the Industar 26M (soft) ,Industar 61LD (high contrast) and Jupiter 8 (highest resolution) standard lenses for my Fed 2.However, they did not make many Orion 28mm or Jupiter 35mm or Jupiter 85mm and after being outbid (by Leica users?) I gave up on trying to assemble a collection.</p>

<p>Another great series and document, SP. Thanks for sharing! That is a sharp lens and a good-looking camera.</p>

<p>I also find the contrast of your images a bit low. This might come from two factors: not enough development time, or scanning settings.</p>

<p>If your negatives look contrasty enough, with nice detailed shadow and highlight areas, you may need to correct "levels" (Photoshop) or "density" (other programs) after scanning. Let us know what are you using, and someone will come up with recommendations.</p>

<p>I too have bought a couple of Fed's from the Ukraine, must admit that I was nervous the first time! Every transaction has been really good though, and I'm amazed at the efficiency of their postal system. I have also had much more luck with Feds than Zorkis, as every Zorki that I have bought has either been dead, or died soon after. The Fed's all work well, and the Industar's all seem to be very good, despite having a bad reputation.<br>

Keep up the good work, I always look forward to your next "find".</p>

<p>Hi - I have 2 Fed's at home - Fed 2 & Fed3. Never used it (unused for decades) . Used Cannon's etc. Planning to take some snaps after reading your post.<br>

Any service guy in Bangalore Mr. Subbarayan as they seem pretty rusty. Also I have the Industar 26 + Industar 61 lens. Read that the 61 lens contain some rare earth material and are raioactive. What are the levels of radioactivity (i am pretty circumspect as they are Soviet era). Can any body enlighten?</p>

<p>Vasudevan Hi! I live in Bangalore in Ideal homes off Mysore Road near Rajarajeswari Nagar. I do not know anyone in Bangalore who would work on the Feds. I am sure there must be some. But I do not know them. People whom I had contact with are all now repairing Digitals. There is more money in it. So they don't touch old mechanical cameras. For major repairs I send my cameras to Kolkota. There are some excellent repairmen there. If your cameras simply need lubrication and adjustment of shutters I can try do that for you, if you cannot find any professional here. Contact me by email through PN message box for the Kolkata address or other mode. The radioactivity in Industar 61 L/D is too small for any worry. They use Lanthanum mixed glass in some of the lens elements. It would radiate no more than what your cell phone would do in microwaves. Best, sp</p>

• 3 weeks later...